Issue with Datalogging while emulating with AutoProm

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

francismjack

Issue with Datalogging while emulating with AutoProm

Post by francismjack »

I seem to have a problem I can't resolve. I cant seem to datalog while emulating. I have an Autoprom unit. and it seems to work fine. Burn chips, Emulate etc. and all is well. I can even communicate with the ALDL while not in Emulation (bypass Mode). I am running TunerPro V5. I switch the Data Acq./Emulation to AutoProm/MAFTPRO and fixed numbers appear in the Dashboard. DAConnected is reported. It just does not seem to be reading the data. I have a 7730 ECU with a $88.xdf and an ARPM.bin. Also my ADX is a $88. (Camaro RS 3.1, The car is a toy and I am trying to install a turbo).
Just a note, I did reset the Body Size from 66 to 67 when creating the ADX from the ADS file in the ADX Editor. I also tried the 10K switch in both positions and still nothing.....
Any Ideas?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You don't need to the 10K resistor for datalogging with a '7730 ECM. Some codes that will set an "ALDL idle mode" or ALDL Test mode" which in many cases will raise idle to about 1200 RPM.

Does this occur with the key on and engine off, engine on, or both?

Something that occurred to me while right this (I was much farther along) is that you may not have the checksum disabled. You have to change the code mask byte to "AA" you will usually find this in the constants of an XDF near the top. In your case it should have "88" as it's current value. If the checksum is not disabled while emulating, the ECM will go into Limp Home Mode, and not spit out any or at best very limited data on the datastream.

Since you are trying to add a turbo to your car I would move away from $88 and use $58 or $59. $58 requires a 2 BAR MAP sensor, $59 uses a 3 BAR MAP sensor. $59 is based off $58, which many enhancements and additions like WBO2 closed loop fueling control, expanded VE tables, etc.

As a test you can load up a different code to the ECM (that will work in that ECM), and with the key on, engine off, test for communication, etc. I've done this to verify a corrupt bin or other bad file.
francismjack

Post by francismjack »

thanks for the tips. Chacksum is set to 0. I dont have a problem with the ECM going into Limp mode. Emulation continues to work. Only problem is that the AutoProm has the same bad data in it. If I connect the data disconnected from the ECU it still shows connected and puts the same bogus data in the dashboard. Key on, off, engine running or totally disconnected. same problem. I think it is in the AutoProm. If I put the AutoProm in bypass the dashboard reads just fine. Good data.
I guess I need to send it in for a check-up.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

If it reads in bypass mode, I would say it's likely something else.

It's not the checksum that I am talking about but the checksum disable, which is done by setting the code mask byte to "AA".

I've never seen a checksum value of 0, personally.
francismjack

Post by francismjack »

Set the code mask to AA. Same same. numbers are frozen while in the AutoProm mode. Burn a chip, put the Autoprom in bypass mode and change the Data Aquisition to Use plug-in and the data appears...
I still don't get it. I will try the $58 XDF next to see if it works for data. Other than that I am lost.
maticulus

Post by maticulus »

francismjack wrote:Set the code mask to AA. Same same. numbers are frozen while in the AutoProm mode. Burn a chip, put the Autoprom in bypass mode and change the Data Aquisition to Use plug-in and the data appears...
I still don't get it. I will try the $58 XDF next to see if it works for data. Other than that I am lost.
Sounds like an issue with the code as this is the same problem that is present when attempting to emulate and datalog 8F code from the Turbo Grand Prix simultaneously. I recently sent an ADX file to Moates to investigate after discussing it with them.

To my knowledge likely the only way at this time to get around the problem is to purchase the stand alone USB ALDL box Moates offers and use your cable with it and run the Autoprom set to "plug in" under preferences. That is how the only person I'm aware of able to emulate and log 8F at the same time does it using the Ostrich.

I tried checksum disablilng along with other methods and the problem has persisted since before TP5 was available.
maticulus

Post by maticulus »

I have the Moates Xtreme ALDL USB datalogger now and that's what it takes as suspected to resolve the problem. Apparently the ECM platform itself with some code masks poses a problem with emulating and logging through a single unit link.

With Plug-in selected under preferences and the proper Com port selected for the USB logger and the Autoprom switched appropriately for emulating, data showed up in TP5 correctly while at the same time the green emulation icon came on when emulation was prompted.