Making a log file

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

EagleMark

Making a log file

Post by EagleMark »

Need something to make a log file easier. Maybe button along with other buttons in "Aqusition" For New Log File. It's not just me, lotsd of people need help to make a new log file to open. I have read help section many times and I don't see a proper way to make one there either.HTH!
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

If you're talking about V4, there won't be any changes made to it, since it's a done deal.

Creating a log file in V5 is easy.

What you could do is create some generic files when you have some free time and then browse to select them when you need to use them.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Six_Shooter wrote:If you're talking about V4, there won't be any changes made to it, since it's a done deal.

What you could do is create some generic files when you have some free time and then browse to select them when you need to use them.
What do you make them in? Like a notepad and save with file extension xdl ?
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

EagleMark wrote:
Six_Shooter wrote:If you're talking about V4, there won't be any changes made to it, since it's a done deal.

What do you make them in? Like a notepad and save with file extension xdl ?
It's worth a shot to try that.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

See, it's just to hard. I tried to make a blank file in EditPad which is a quality aftermarket notpad with WebMaster in mind and TP will not let in load when you click on Load Log File.

Also when you get a log file open in TP there is no way to close it. When your done recording data you can "Stop" and it will prompt you to save in Windows. Or you can "Export" to an Excell file. But either way it does not close the file already open in TP? Nothing does?

The only way I can figure to make a new log file or get it to change in TP is to "Stop" recording and rename the file. Then you are stuck with that log open in TP untill you do it again. Not a big interference. Just a quirk.

So now you can see why I put it in sugestions! I have found a way to make it work, it is working well, but think you should be able to "Close" the file or be able to make a file. I guess you really don't have to Make a new file because if you just hit "Record" it will make a new one. Then you have to remember to "Stop" recording to save it, or save it with a new name. I don't remember what happens if you forget to stop! because there is no "Save As"

If you are hooking up to record data then you need to hit "Record" which is fine, if you forgot to "Record" well you made a mistake. But if you get done recording data and close TP there is no reminder to save your log file. Does it save it somewhere? That would be a great built in safety if not alreay there.
1990 Chevy Suburban

JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

There is "Temp.xdl" file until you actually save/name the log.
It is overwritten if you start recording again so you only get one chance to get it before you log again.
I believe you can release the "current" log file by selecting a different one that already exists if that is what you are trying to do.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Thanks. I am really not trying to do anything, I have figured out how to do everything I need to do and TunerPro will do it. But if I compare TunerPro to any other windows program or even itself! There is something missing for log files. Close log file and Open or make new log file. I have found a work around for both.

It was just a suggestion to TunerPro for future versions. A small thing that makes and excellent software a little more professional. HTH!
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

V5 makes the log file after your stop recording. It's already been addressed. ;)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

You're looking to close the log files. Got it. I'll add it for the next build.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Well Thanks you! And I hope it helps you and others.

Also make a new log file or include in Help section that to make a new log file simply start "record", then click "stop"save the log file with appropriate name and it will be ready for future use.

Like I said I found away around all of it. But seems it should be there? Most windows programs including yours for other things have "Save As" With TunerPro if you don't know how to use it you need to "Stop" recording and it works fine.

Through me for a loop first time, caused frustration. To simple the way it works but not familar like a windows program.
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I guess I'm missing something here.

In V5 when you stop the datalog it comes up with a save prompt automatically.

What would be the difference between this and "closing" the file?
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Well closing the file would remove it from being open in TP. Even after you click "Stop" and are promted to save the file, it's still there. No way to start a new file when you clck "record".
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Hmm, It's always started a new file for me, at least in V5.

V4 is a different ball game.

Which version are you talking about?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Six_Shooter wrote:I guess I'm missing something here.
Me too.
EagleMark wrote:No way to start a new file when you clck "record".
Incorrect. Try it.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

I just did, again. "Aqusition", no way to make a new file? So" record" and it's still the old data.xdl file left from previous session. You'll never be able to start a new file.

Unless you know that when your done recording and you hit "Stop" You will be prompted by a new window to save the file with an option of a new name.
1990 Chevy Suburban

Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

EagleMark wrote:So" record" and it's still the old data.xdl file left from previous session.
You are not correct. At no point when you hit record is it "still the old data.xdl file left from previous session."

Here's the flow:

1) Connect to the vehicle's datastream
2) Hit record.
3) After recording your log, hit stop. You are prompted to save the log to the file of your choice. This is where the new log file is created.
4) Review the log. Play it back. Make your tune. Etc.
5) To create a new log, go to #1 and repeat. At step 3, you'll be creating a new log file.

This works, and is pretty much as clear as it gets. The existing log is only overwritten if you choose to overwrite it at step 3.

This behavior won't be changing, sorry.

-Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I will assume that you're talking about V5, since you haven't clarified that yet.

I think you're getting caught up in the name in the title bar.

I just did 3 test logs at my PC using V5.7575 (I haven't installed the latest version yet). In each test, the previous logs name was left in the title bar until the new log was saved, then it changed. If I open each of the test logs that name will now be in the title bar and the logs were saved just how each should be, with only the information from that logging session in that log.

Don't worry about the title bar, the log is being stored in temp.xdl in a Tuner Pro folder, that will then get moved to where you save it once you click stop and are prompted to save using a unique name, and where you want it.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Six Shooter got it!
1990 Chevy Suburban