What's involved with with adding forced induction on a N/A ?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

pete_pumpkin

What's involved with with adding forced induction on a N/A ?

Post by pete_pumpkin »

Hi, I've just discovered this site and may I say it has given me some releif knowing that my future car mod plans are closer now.

A bit of backround about my self: I'm currently studying at a tech college a diploma in electronics. I've done a few introductory subjects dealing with digital and micros. We worked with the hc11 and a programe called 'mgtek miniide' to write basic programs ie add two numbers together (really just intro stuff); and we've just dealt with subroutines, interupts and i/o etc

Anyhow my problem/challenge/ learning curve :) is

I've got a 1993 3.8L V6 GM Holden Commodore with an '808' ecu and am in the process of setting up a turbocharger etc (I've just welded the manifolds).

I've heard from people that the ecu can handle anything upto twice (95rwkw to 200rwkw) the factory power on the stock program - with only a few problems. ie I need to fit a rising rate fuel regulator, a larger fuel pump and possibly larger injectors (althought the fuel reg can be cranked up somewhat)

I bought an 'interceptor' kit from a place called 'jaycar electronics' over here in Australia. This thing looked really promising with the ability to modify any voltage sensor with 128 load points etc.

After further reading I saw that it was more suited to a car which works with a MAF. My car doesn't have one, only a MAP. I've read that the MAP isn't very good to intercept, nor is the 02 sensor. So yeah I've given that a miss at the moment. (maybe the TPS?)

As you may be able to tell, my knowledge of how cars work isn't too high :)

Well after coming across another bloke that was doing the same thing ie turbocharging a v6 commodore (808 ecu). He told me that he plans on changing his MAP from 1 BAR to 2 BAR and then reprogramming his memcal to suit (using an appropriate eeprom programmer etc). The thing is he's not 100 percent sure what data to stick in. And I'm not 100 percent sure if that is all that is required to boost the car. He did mention something about 'timing' as well.

I realise that people get proffesionals to tune their cars on dynos etc, but this costs lots and lots of $$ - money I don't have.
I just want to be able too have my car running reliably without to much rist of the car running lean.

I still have to read up a bit more I think..

Can you offer any advice on what I should be looking at modifying so that my car will run boosted ? I just don't really know what data to modyify and what interects with what.

Thanks,
Pete
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hi Pete -

Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about the '808. I do know that the 7749 is commonly used on turbo'ed applications. I haven't much information on what would be involved in doing a swap from the 808 to the 749, but it's certainly possible.

You might try the mailing list at www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/

Alternately, you could also post on the thirdgen.org DIY-prom message boards

www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/ (click on DIY-PROM).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
pete_pumpkin

Post by pete_pumpkin »

Hi , yeah that's cool.

I've been reading up quite a bit in the last couple days. The tunerpro program has given me quite a bit of insight into what to expect.

I've sort of figured a few thing out in regards to the tuning side ie the timing and the A/F.

I still don't really know what's involved with upgrading from 1 BAR to 2 BAR MAP but I'll keep on looking.

Cheers,
Pete
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

1 bar to 2 bar would be a code change. Hopefully someone out there has the information available for what to change in the bin to accomplish this.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am