XDF and XML

Discuss DSM (Mitsubishi) definitions here

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

turboawdfanatic

XDF and XML

Post by turboawdfanatic »

I've been using TunerPro for a while now, and I log with EvoScan b/c I can log the ECU and my Zeitronix wideband at the same time through EvoScan. I'd like to use the map tracing feature of EvoScan, but it asks for my .bin file (no problem) and a .XML format definition file. Since TunerPro uses .XDF, I can't provide EvoScan with the necessary file to map trace the datalog.

I'm not a programmer so I don't understand .XDF and .XML coding. Is there any way I can get an .XML definition file to send to EvoScan for map tracing?

Thanks!
turboawdfanatic

Any ideas here?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I would assume that EvoScan requires its own configuration file (which is probably an XML file) that tells it how to communicate with the vehicle.

EvoScan is a completely separate piece of software, though, written by someone else. Perhaps they have a support forum that you can post in with your question?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
turboawdfanatic

Yes, I do understand that EvoScan is a separate piece of software, written by someone else. :wink: Sorry I should have been more specific. EvoScan is a logging software that is designed to be used in conjunction with popular tuning tools (both software and hardware). An example of hardware is the ability to log my wideband, boost, and EGT signals from Zeitronix in conjunction with the OBD1 ECU input and spit them out on the same log. An example of software is the ability supply EvoScan with the .bin file and .xml definitions file from your tuning software so it can use the map tracing feature to show you where in your fuel and timing map you are getting the resulting logged info (such as knock). Apparently, popular tuning software such as DSMLink use an .xml file as a definition file. EvoScan is set up so you simply import that .xml and the .ecu file to use the map tracing feature.

My question here is not "help me get EvoScan to work!?!?!" but rather "is there any way I can translate the definition information in the .xdf file to a .xml format". I apologize if that is a completely stupid question b/c I am not familiar with those file types since I'm not a programmer. I understand that if the format that TunerPro uses for definitions completely differs from the format that EvoScan needs then I'm out of luck, but I wanted to be sure that I wasn't overlooking a simple solution since I'm a novice with this type of software.

This is one of those issues where no matter where you pose the question you will be told to ask elsewhere since it involves two different pieces of software. I've asked people in the EvoScan circles, but they haven't had experience with using a tuning solution that uses .xdf for a definitions file. That is why I'm asking the question here. Thanks for the help!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I know nothing about how this works. It seems to me that the EvoScan developer would need to have written importers for the XML definitions from other software.

TunerPro v5's XDF is XML already (V4 defs are not). The format is not documented.

The burden really is on EvoScan to be able to import these files. Or on EvoScan to contact me if they need me to write an exporter (should I choose not to document the format, as I have done).

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but these things don't simply "work" and XML is just geek lingo for a certain type language used to represent data. HTML used in web sites is a form of XML, as an example. I doubt that EvoScan can take an HTML document as input. The XML needs to have an agreed-upon set of data represented in it.

Clear as mud? =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
turboawdfanatic

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help. If I make any forward progress I'll update you. Thanks!