16197429 BMFX Anybody done anything with the Cad Northstar

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

SCOUT37

16197429 BMFX Anybody done anything with the Cad Northstar

Post by SCOUT37 »

Has anybody gotten around to hacking the Northstar PCM for 95 and earlier yet?????? Any help or sugestions how to go about getting rid of the auto trans so it doesn't set codes or go into "limp home" ?????? GM PCM seems to get real "CRANKY" when it thinks something should be there, and you don't give it some shift solenoids or converter clutch to play with?????????? :lol:
Thanks!!!!!
Dan

F__K MILK!!!!!!!!!! GOT NITROS????????
YES IT'S FAST!!!! NO, YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT!!!!!
Greenbuggy

Post by Greenbuggy »

I've got a '94 STS Vin 9 ECM ordered that I'm going to *attempt* to disassemble and reverse engineer some values out of. When godaddy fixes things I'll be plotting my progress on my website at www.speedyoldtruck.com, along with the hipo buildup of my '93 Northstar.

I highly recommend the www.cadillacforums.com message boards. Seems like a lot of people want to throw forced induction or manual trannies behind the northstar but can't do so with the cranky factory ECM.

CHRfab.com (cadillac hotrod fabricators) recommends using an aftermarket ECM like the AEM or Holley commander. I know of at least one person working on a megasquirt controlled northstar.
'51 Ford F-6 Dually Dumptruck/'72 Cheyenne20/'59 VW Chassied Buggy/'85 Honda Prelude/'91 Nissan Maxima

Check out my site at Http://www.speedyoldtruck.com

Always looking for Caddy N* information, working on a tunable OBD1 ECU.
Greenbuggy

Post by Greenbuggy »

I thought I'd update everyone on my progress:

I found a forums at www.fiero.nl. Lots of guys on there have shoehorned northstars into fieros with both the auto tranny from the caddy and the manual getrag/muncie transmission from the fiero. A member on those boards, wcapman, has a chip developed that makes the engine management run solo without the involvement of things like vats, auto tranny shifting, LHM (from tranny errors) and some other goodies. As I understand it he only has a chip for a 275 Horse northstar, and he sells his service reprogramming for $200 (plus shipping I'd imagine).

I'm planning on purchasing a copy of the chip from him and attempting a few things:
1) try and map differences between the solo chip and a standard 275 horse chip
2) try and apply said differences to the 300 Horse chip (independent engine management for the vin Y engines)
3) figure out if it would be possible to change out some sensors and add boost to the mofo (I'm thinking eaton M112 blower)
'51 Ford F-6 Dually Dumptruck/'72 Cheyenne20/'59 VW Chassied Buggy/'85 Honda Prelude/'91 Nissan Maxima

Check out my site at Http://www.speedyoldtruck.com

Always looking for Caddy N* information, working on a tunable OBD1 ECU.