Output Type = Hex Digits => no Conversion and Graph Error

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

dfddfd2

Output Type = Hex Digits => no Conversion and Graph Error

Post by dfddfd2 »

When the "Output Type" field is set to "Hex Digits", the conversion has no affect and tables do not graph correctly.
Last edited by dfddfd2 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

This is correct, 'hex digits' always shows the raw data in hexadecimal with no conversion.
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

This makes no sense, as there is a pop-up menu selection to choose raw hex vs. converted values for display. Why would someone who wants the data to be displayed in hax, not want the conversion processed?

Thanks,
Dave
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

It works for me as I do not do any conversions on hex displayed items. Is there any particular reason why you need to display a value in hex after conversion?
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

dex wrote:It works for me as I do not do any conversions on hex displayed items. Is there any particular reason why you need to display a value in hex after conversion?
Of course there is. I wouldn't have reported this as a bug otherwise.

Dave
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

The question was asked because I was curious as to what you would want to see in hex after a conversion. Your attitude will likely result in no-one wishing to engage in discourse with you. A constructive example of why you would need such a feature will help people to understand things better.
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

dex wrote:The question was asked because I was curious as to what you would want to see in hex after a conversion. Your attitude will likely result in no-one wishing to engage in discourse with you. A constructive example of why you would need such a feature will help people to understand things better.
Dex,

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand your question. I have a custom application with some values that I want to perform a conversion on and have the result displayed in hex. To me, the conversion, and the display format for the result, are two different things. I also use the "Show Raw Hex" feature sometimes for values I have chosen to display in integer or floating point format. Most of the values in my source code are in hex, and it is convienient not to have to convert between the two. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that the conversion isn't performed just because the output format is specified as hex is a bug, not a feature request.

Thanks,
Dave
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Thanks for the explanation. I think you are right that it's a bug. I have just looked at the help file and it describes the 'Output Type' as being how the 'Final Data' is displayed for hex digits. This suggests to me that it should be displaying the hex digits post conversion as you need it. Prior to this I have always taken hex digits to be the raw data. Hopefully Mark will pick this one up.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Why can't you modify the XDF item and change the output type to hex? This will allow you to do the conversion and display the result in raw hex.

Or am I missing something?

EDIT: yes, I'm missing something. This is a bug in the current version. The good news is that it's fixed in Version 5 (I've just verified). :)

When will version 5 be available, you ask? Hopefully soon. I've made excellent progress (lots of cool stuff updated/fixed/new from v4), but am still a bit short of the feature (over)promises I've made.

Dave (and Derek) - shoot me an email and I'll get you squared away.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am