I need Info

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

SWINGtech

I need Info

Post by SWINGtech »

Guys :D ,
I'm new to this forum but I’m desperate to re-map an OBD1 cars.
Before buying the Pocket programmer hardware, UVEPROM & UV chip eraser, I'm afraid that I’ll not be able to understand how to do it, is it for software engineers or it can be done by studding & trying harder?
I'm using Megasquirt ecus when I need to modify some cars but if I get used to this I’ll spare the money & time that I' used spend, also the wiring harnesses.

Any advice, Please! :roll:
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

If you can tune a MS then you probably will be OK tuning OE ecu's. You are right not to rush into buying equipment until you know what ecu's you want to work with. There are so many variations of ecu hardware out there you need to identify the ecu(s) you want to tune and then see if there is the necessary equipment and software to allow you to do so.
SWINGtech

Post by SWINGtech »

Woo, it’s very interesting. I usually work on OBD 1 BMW motronic ECUs & OBD 1 Toyotas. Does it support these? Kindly, please, advice me a good links to study & buy the hardware for those.

Thanks so much: D
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

I do not know anything about BMW ecu's and for Toyota I have only seen the work done by a guy called Jeremy Ross, e.g.

Mk1 MR2 www.mr2mk1club.com/ecupart4pics.html

Mk2 MR2 www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75023

Not really what you are after I expect but it shows the problems of cracking the Toyota ecu.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell you more about BMWs.
2seater

Re: I need Info

Post by 2seater »

I tried several searches and this at least mentions the Pocket Programmer which is where my question lies. Short background story: I have a Pocket Programmer 2, which connects to the printer port on an old win98 Gateway Solo notebook computer. This computer runs TunerPro 4.x and has no internet capability any longer so is just a garage computer I have used in the past to read and write 256k chips. It has been several years since I have had the need to burn another chip but for some reason when I open TunerPro it cannot find hardware? This is where the question lies. The computer has been plugged in continuously so it never lost power over the extended idle time. I tried rebooting the computer with the programmer both connected and disconnected, also before or after TunerPro was opened. According to the computer, the printer com port is operating properly. I don't remember having this issue in the past and am stumped.

I do have a later HP laptop running TunerPro V5.x which I now use for emulating and other uses but no printer port. I thought about Moates Burn2 but it cannot burn the older 27c256 chip and even if I replaced that with the later 29series, I doubt it will do the chip imbedded in the old EEPROM from 1990.
1990 Turbocharged Reatta