Capability of witing via the ALDL?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

uglykid

Capability of witing via the ALDL?

Post by uglykid »

Ok, I had to set tuner pro aside for a while because of issues with it not being compatible with my logger setup, but today I've downloaded the latest version, and if it does what it says (baud, parity, etc..) it should work fine.

Since my last visit, I've found a compatible writable chip to place in the ECU in replacement of the prom chip, and am working on writing to the chip via the logger interface to edit the map tables, instead of needing an emu. (the ECU is designed for this and the code is in the prom, even though the ECU has a prom instead of a writable chip)

Is TP capable of loading a bin/XDF/ADX, and after editing parts of the bin sending commands via the ALDL interface to the logger to write the changes to the chip?

I get that I can do single commands just via the interface, but can they be tied to the map tables to write, like via using an emulator?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Knowing what ECU you're working with would likely help.

The only way I've seen this done is by adding a daughter board that has what is essentially an emulator built in to the board, such as Nistune for Nissans and the NVSRAM for some of the OBD1 GM ECMs.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

judging by your avatar pic, i'd say we're not dealing with a GM ECM?

anyways, it's entirely possible to do, especially if the code was left there by engineers. you would likely need to write your own TP plugin to get it all working though.
uglykid

Post by uglykid »

The ECU is a bastard child, from a sled..

Some of the stuff is similar to Subaru (select monitor hardware interface), some is similar to Nissan (added port for write enable), and something similar to the nistune add on is what I'm using.

Unfortunately, although the select monitor hardware is compatible, none of the commands nor the baud rate is the same. And although I'm using something like the nistune, nothing else commands or otherwise is compatible with the nistune or any nissan stuff.

So, I wrote a vb script that I can run in a shell to communicate with the ECU and can pull up the error codes and sensor values, dump parts of the chip, etc. And now that Mark has added the ability to do oddball baud rates, I've been tinkering with the ALDL features for an hour or so to try to get it log from the interface I have, but having not used TP is almost a year I'm a little rusty, and the logging part is totally new.

I made 3 identical boards to replace the prom's with, and managed to get one to work out of the 3. (can't figure out why the other 2 won't work yet) And I haven't worked out the write routines yet.

I am hoping that with a more stable interface like tunerpro, it'll work better than a VB script, which is about the extent of my coding ability. So if tunerpro is capable, I'll put the effort into making it work, but if it won't I'll stick to using TP with the emu and logging. :D
uglykid

Post by uglykid »

Aha, I see the need for the plugin to talk to my logger interface..

Since it's a variation of the sube and there's no sube plugin to modify I'm kind of fugged..

Ok, off to figure out some way of doing this, TP or not.

Thanks for the help.