memcal error

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

4x4high

memcal error

Post by 4x4high »

Ok, let me first say that i'm real new to "trying" to learn how to tune. I have a Burn 2 and an Ostrich from Moates that i've been playing with recently. I sent a known working ECM to Moates to have them solder in the proper chip holder in order to use the 27SF512 chip. Now to my question, I have read a chip, saved it to file, then burned it to a 27SF512 chip using the proper chip offsets from the Moates website and when I install that chip the engine runs perfectly but I now get a code 51 (PROM/MEMCAL error). Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you fix it?

EDIT: I also just want to say that I also have the socket booster in order to use the Ostrich.
4x4high

Post by 4x4high »

So 4 days and not a single person has responded. I can't be the only person having this issue and not able to figure it out. :(
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

You must have the memcal attached with the chip adapter. Could that be your problem?
Also be sure to erase the 512 chip before burning the bin to it.

If you use the Ostritch for real time tuning then be sure to change the Engineering byte to "AA" so when you make a change, the checksum doesn't throw that error.
4x4high

Post by 4x4high »

JP86SS wrote:You must have the memcal attached with the chip adapter. Could that be your problem?
Also be sure to erase the 512 chip before burning the bin to it.

If you use the Ostritch for real time tuning then be sure to change the Engineering byte to "AA" so when you make a change, the checksum doesn't throw that error.
I sent my ECM to Moates and had them install the chip adapter for use with the flash chips. I also use a socket booster since that's needed in order to use the Ostrich. I do make sure that the chip is blank and I even click erase before I burn the new chip.
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Did you get this resolved?
4x4high

Post by 4x4high »

JP86SS wrote:Did you get this resolved?
No, sometimes after installing the chip I don't get the code but then all of a sudden when i'm datalogging and check for codes there it is. I am using the socket booster with the switch set to 24 pin just as Dave said it needs to be for normal operation. :?