Another newcomer

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Bram

Another newcomer

Post by Bram »

Hi, not wanting to be held ransom to dealership service departments or local back alley fix-it shops I've decided to try to learn more about these newfangled computer controlled cars. I operate a 93 Caprice Classic wagon, a 95 Suburban K1500 and my wif'e car is a 94 Buick Regal, all OBD1 vehicles with the 12 pin ALDL link.

I've spent the last several weeks going from forum to forum and all the links therein to related web sites. The more I read, the more daunting the prospect becomes. I started driving when vehicles still had vacuum operated windshield wipers, engine mounted fuel pumps, flathead V8's and headlight dimmer switches on the floor.

At present I am mostly interested in diagnostics and as it highly unlikely I will make major changes to my vehicles' engines, high performance tuning is some way off. Although I might consider changing at what speed the TCC applies and disconnects.

I've been reading TunerPro's "Help" section I think I interpret the following:

TunerPro can only manipulate *.bin or *.XDF files and to get datalogging and/or diagnostics, one must use TunerPro RT - Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks
Bram
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Yup! I have a ScanTool but got ude to using my tunerPro so much that I grab it first.

Down load the TunerPro V5 and then get the proper XDF and ADX files for it and you will also need an ALDL cable available from Moates.
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
Bram

Post by Bram »

Next silly question!

My 93 Caprice, 350TBI, 4L60 trans, ECM #16136965 (as best as I can determine) Mask $62 Prom type 2732, BCC BATJ (read from chip).

Purchased used 9 mos ago. Found a "Hypertech" chip box in car with what I suppose is the original chip in the box.

Paperwork in the box carries a warning. It instructs to remove the Hypertech chip if taking the car in for service because if the techies see a non standard programming they will load in a stock program thereby destoying the Hypertech chip.

This suggests to me that the Hypertech chip must be an EEPROM as I'm fairly certain they would use the ALDL link to load the stock program. The fact that the warning exists leads me to believe that the original chip must also be an EEPROM because if the chip was an EPROM nobody would attempt to reload a stock program.

Am I correct in thinking that both the stock chip and the Hypertech chip might be EEPROMs? This would make minor changes very simple to do.

Thanks
Bram
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

a 2732 is NOT an EEPROM, which is most definitely what you have on the inside of your ECM.

hypertechs are generally junk anyways.
Bram

Post by Bram »

robertisaar wrote:a 2732 is NOT an EEPROM, which is most definitely what you have on the inside of your ECM.

hypertechs are generally junk anyways.
Thank you, I suspected as much but being a bit of a greenhorn I don't know who to believe. 8^)

As the Hypertech being junk, can't comment, wasn't my install but this big heavy (4650lbs) wagon is the quickest vehicle Ive driven since my 97 GT 390 Mustang which couldn't go past a gas station and the Caprice gets 20.2 USmpg.

Thanks, Bram
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

The newer ones weren't really junk. Just not many changes for the money. Now I've heard of some mid 80's stuff being WRONG/FAIL!
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

^ correct, my 85 IROC had a hyper chip that was made in 1987....

that thing never ran right.