XDF for ME 5.2

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Pacman

XDF for ME 5.2

Post by Pacman »

I have a BMW 540 E39 with ME 5.2 , Bosch 0 280 204 467 and I managed to get a KWP2000+ to read the file by telling it it was a ME 5.2.1 for 1.8-litre engine.
Now I need a XDF-file for it to be able to modify the 32kb bin-file I got out.

How can I get help with this?
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Ok.
Since like always nobody wants to, or is able to help me, Ill have to learn the stuff myself.

After a couple of hours with WinOLS and TunerPro side by side, I managed to sort out about 32 Bosch style maps, and by now I have 16 of them made in my XDF-file.
My eyes start to cross and hex-numbers are flashing when i close them, so this will be it for tonight!

Next up is to determine what these maps really are doing.
From mappning aftermarket EMS and Ford Mustang ECUs before I can make qualified guesses, but is there another more accurate way of telling, like looking in another similar XDF-files or something?

There are several huge smooth maps, like 12x12 and 16x12 that look just like fuelmaps or MAF-caracteristics. How do I determine which one is main and which one is alternative/limp home?
Then there are several small flat 6x4 and 6x6 maps that I think is some sort of compensation maps or constants. These are golden if one wants to switch injectors or something like that, but then you must know what they do.

Well...the quest goes on.

The thing about checksum I havent even started to understand yet.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Another couple of hours burned in the sign of Hexcode. 8)

Now I have sorted out all 31 maps that WinOLS could help me with.
I can see almost as many single-row tables aswell in the hexcode, but I cant figure out how to store them in my XDF-file.

Now the decoding work has begun.
I started with the most simple map of all, the main ignition map. Out of all 31 maps only one matched the typical signs of a ignition map! Its a 16x12 map so I feel good about it.
Next i found two almost identical 16x12 maps that in my world look exaktly like Main Fuel maps. Why two and why next to eachother in the code? Different fueling for different injectors?
Then I found three 8x8 maps that I first thought were fuelmaps. Soft smooth and almost flat, and they matched eachother as a three step ladder. Then it hit me....MAF convert maps of course. But why are they scattered all over the code and not next to eachother?

I found a small funny map and almost immediately I knew what it was because of its structure....the "MAP Thermostate" map. M62 has a ECU-controlled thermostate to optimize CLT after different load conditions.

Then we have a bunch of small maps that I believe is different compensation maps for fuel, ignition and other. I can see that many of them are temperature guided but its going to be a hassle to find out in what way.

Finally I found three maps that are crap. Two are completely flat and one is very strange with a flat spot and a huge spike in the mittle.

During this adventure I sometimes wonder how I am doing. Is this the right way to do it, and how does everybody else do it?
bmwconnect

Re: XDF for ME 5.2

Post by bmwconnect »

Pacman wrote:I have a BMW 540 E39 with ME 5.2 , Bosch 0 280 204 467 and I managed to get a KWP2000+ to read the file by telling it it was a ME 5.2.1 for 1.8-litre engine.
Now I need a XDF-file for it to be able to modify the 32kb bin-file I got out.

How can I get help with this?
I can write you a extensive XDF for this DME, but it is very time consuming and would ask for compensation for my time

PM Me

Regards|