DA Data Error - Logging stops and spikes in logfiles - Why?

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

RainMan

DA Data Error - Logging stops and spikes in logfiles - Why?

Post by RainMan »

Hi,
i am in trouble with my datalogging and I am confused because I can't deduce what's causing it ...

I made 10 logs all in all. The first 5 logs were up to 10 minutes, and I was happy. 2 logs stopped and I assumed this was my fault.

Then I changed the dashboard and had more gauges in and today I went out for a new set of logs.

The first 2 logs are fine, the later ones are with spikes in and the after a short time the loggins stops (about 1 min)

See here:

Anyway, when the logging process stops by the error, the system is NOT halted. The log data is skipped and Tuner Pro RT displays a blank main monitor, but I am able to save the log.

Opening the broken log at home and tracing the log shows this:

I have uploaded a bundle of the related data (xdl, xdf,bin, adx) for playing with it and if anyone would be able to give me an idea how to overcome the problem ... :D

Thanks a lot ...

Download this Spikes.zip

The system i am doing the logging is an IBM S10-2 netbook, with 1GB of RAM and Intel® Atom™ Processor with 1,66 GHz .

My Virtual Com Port Driver is the latest version
FT2232, FT232B, FT245B, FT8U232AM, FT8U245AM 2.08.02

The Bike is a Buell XB12 with DDFI-3 , MJ 2009.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I might not fully be understanding your entire post, but if you're receiving any errors with the incoming data, then any logging being done would hault until you get good packets again. This could explain the logging stops (which aren't really stops; they're just blank packets). I'm not sure yet what you mean by spikes, but unexpected spikes in incoming data could also indicate erroneous noise or data.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Mangus wrote:I might not fully be understanding your entire post, but if you're receiving any errors with the incoming data, then any logging being done would hault until you get good packets again.
Hi Mangus, thanks for response and going into my problem.

Is there a way to see traces and logfiles or to dump in where i can check out?

My problem is to find the reason for this behaviour. The first logs were pretty good, but after logfile #7 the system the logging became sticky.
Mangus wrote:.. but unexpected spikes in incoming data could also indicate erroneous noise or data...
How can I reduce noise? lowering a transfer rate? Does it make sense if i am in receiving mode to have a very simple dash with only one gauge in order to reduce cpu load?

Cu Fritz
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Perhaps your cable is intermittent or an electrical connection loose? What are you using to record while you're riding? Is there any chance vibration is causing something to become disconnected?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Mangus wrote:Is there any chance vibration is causing something to become disconnected?
Yes !!! :shock: :shock: The "vibrator" is a Buell V-Twin ---- :!:

Sometimes or very often I have to stop the engine to navigate the mouse button to the desired buttons.

But, is there a dependancy between number of recorded items and perfomance? If I have a dashboard active when logging with many gauges?
Last edited by RainMan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are ..
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Yes, there could be. Leaving the monitors active with many trend lines could slow things down, for instance.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Mangus wrote:Yes, there could be. Leaving the monitors active with many trend lines could slow things down, for instance.
Probably you hit my problem. That was the main change before i ran into these problems.

But it's rainy - not good for biking - but I'll be back and give you a feedback!

Thanks for helping me, Mangus ...

Update: My name is the program .. it's raining dogs here in Germany ... golly gee ... can't test ... :cry:
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Okay, a buch of sunny days ...

I went out for testing and I believe it's something mechanical like a misfunctioning connector . I got some logs which are pretty fine and then some with Data Error.

But, definitely the program does not hang up, I was able to reconnect and start a new logfile.

I am wondering, because some directories which are not under C:/Programme/TunerProRT can not be used for saving logs and other data. Strange ... :?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

On Win7 and Vista, software requires elevation to write to Program Files, the system root (e.g. if Windows is installed to c:\Windows\, then software cannot directly access c:\), and other directories. More information is available on the Internet.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Mangus wrote:On Win7 and Vista, software requires elevation to write to Program Files, the system root (e.g. if Windows is installed to c:\Windows\, then software cannot directly access c:\), and other directories. More information is available on the Internet.
It's XP Home on a IBM S10 netbook.

May be the disc does not cope with vibrations? It's strange ... if I position the laptop vertically in front of my chest on the bike it seems to work, other postions fail. :?:
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

So I just hooked up to a friend's Buell, and I have verified that this issue is a result of electrical noise generated while the engine is running. We'll be experimenting to see if we can find a solution.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Cool ... Please, stay tuned. I know there is another solution (ecmpsy for mono by Gunter Baumann = id073897) and he hacked the buell ECM and configuration.

The one and only problem is Gunter does not answer all questions due to whatever the reason is ... :cry:
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

RainMan wrote:Cool ... Please, stay tuned. I know there is another solution (ecmpsy for mono by Gunter Baumann = id073897) and he hacked the buell ECM and configuration.

The one and only problem is Gunter does not answer all questions due to whatever the reason is ... :cry:
The only reason that Buell support exists in Tunerpro is because of Gunter. You'll note that he has TunerPro definitions for download on his site.

Have you tried ECMSpy? If so, do you have the same issues? If so, then this confirms that noise would be the issue. If not, then perhaps it really is a software issue.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RainMan

Post by RainMan »

Mangus wrote:Have you tried ECMSpy? If so, do you have the same issues? If so, then this confirms that noise would be the issue. If not, then perhaps it really is a software issue.
I got ECMSpy for Mono for use with my 2009 XB12 and I can connect and "dial in" to the Buell ECM.

But ...

Here it's upcoming winter and we have outside temperatures of about 5 degrees Celsius and snow is coming soon ...

Sorry, this is really not a comfortable season for testing the connection. Mainly because the logs are dropped without any logical trigger. Some logs run 10 minutes, some stop after 10 seconds ...

I can't test yet ... :? Then you have to change my user account from RainMan to SnowMan ... :P