TunerPro 5 & KWP2000+ & Windows 7 64-bit

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

sunbeam

TunerPro 5 & KWP2000+ & Windows 7 64-bit

Post by sunbeam »

hi there, i came a few days across your site and also your amazing software. the right stuff for what i'm planning to do.

short intro. i'm currently in the middle of a car engine modification. in particular, transform a Opel (Vauxhall) Corsa-C 1.2 Twinport into a Z20LET monster (engine from the Astra). So far so good. nothing that hasn't been done yet. the Z12XE Engine uses the same ECU as the Z20LET.

The mechanical stuff works like a charm. Now its time to get into the ECU Remapping and Reprogramming. After weeks of searching, i came across the KWP2000+ USB hardware, which seemed to be the right solution for my plans.

Anyway, got it, and started to get to know it. But when the time came to use this interface with TunerPro RT 5 (beta), no connection whatshowever with the ECU.

I know that there are no related files (bins etc) for this particular car around but this is not the issue here.

please, if anybody had any positive experience with this combination, help would be appreciated, since TunerPro is exactly the software to rewrite the ECU the way i would like to do it. but to get there, i have to get the ECU on a file on my harddisc :)

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work

Jan (Greece)
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

forgot to mention that, on windows 7 64-bit, the drivers from the KWP2000+ did not work, i had to use the ones from FTDI website (KWP2000+ uses the D2XX chip).

on device manager it comes up as USB Serial Port, i even get an COM port (COM1).

when i connected it this morning to a Windows XP Laptop and installed the drivers, it showed up as Serial to KLine Interface, but without giving me any COM port.

thing is, either on Windows 7 (64-bit, with drivers from the KWP 2000+ Chip manufacturer) or Windows XP (32-bit with drivers from KWP2000+ installation CD), the TunerPro RT 5 did not "see" the Interface. tried under TOOLS -> PREFERENCES -> DATA ACQ./EMULATION almost everything.

help would be appreciated.

Jan
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

For starters, to datalog you need and ADX file.

The ADX file is used by TP RT V5 to decipher the incoming datastream, since different cars or rather different ECMs and their respective codes use different datastreams.

I see this as one issue.

Another issue could be setup for the cable itself.
It sounds like you went to the right spot, but did you use the "Configure Plug-in Component" button. Does TP RT V5 see the cable when you use the "Test for cable" button. I'm not sure if this would work with the cable you are trying to use, but this button/test works with the interfaces used with GM vehicles. Make sure it is disconnected from the vehicle when performing this test.
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

Six_Shooter, thank you for your reply. i actually did perform the CONFIGURE PLUGIN COMPONENT, and then selected the COM PORT as STANDARD SERIAL (otherwise by selecting SHARED WITH EMULATOR, the COM port cannot be selected), but when i pressed TEST FOR VALID... it states that:

CABLE NOT FOUND OR NOT FUNCTIONING (TESTED AT 8192 BAUD).

at this point (the test) i haven't loaded any file (ADX, XDF or what all the extensions are), because to get there, i have to make sure, TunerPro 'sees' my Hardware (Cable) first.

Its actually strange, because i think one guy here, had positive tests with Tuner Pro with the KWP2000 Interface on a ASTRA !!!! my case i would say...
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, wanted to make sure of the test first.

Are you sure that the cable is on COM1?

COM1 is usually used by native serial connection, USB, and Virtual COM ports through USB usually show up as higher port numbers.

Take a look in your device manager to verify the port number for your cable.
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

http://img638.imageshack.us/g/005yb.jpg/ <- here at imageshack are some screenshots.

i choosed COM 1 cause a lot sof older software allow you to user COM1 to COM4, nothing more :(
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

just changed the COM port from 1 to 4 (showed up as not used in the device manager COM configuration), but again no luck :(
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

From the image of the device manager, it looks like COM1 is the proper port.

Does the COM1 port disappear in the device manager when you unplug the cable?

I'm wondering if it doesn't work like the cables I'm used.
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

when i unplug the KWP2000+ the COM 1 port disapeared as it should be. there where 2 ppl here, that actually managed to get the KWP2000+ connected to the TunerPRO software. unfortunately the haven't answered my email so far :(
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Sunbeam -

What hardware, exactly, are you using? Can you point me to a link?

-Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

hello mark, thank you for looking into this matter, since I'm looking forward to use your software to customize my new ECU on my new Engine.

the Hardware im using is a normal KWP2000+ (or as some prefer to say, KWP2000 Plus).

there are a lot of ppl over the internet that sell this interface. here is an example

http://www.ecutrade.com/35,kwp2000-plus ... asher.html or http://www.auto-tool-shop.com/kwp2000-e ... -p-95.html or more detailed http://www.obd2-scanner.com/kwp2000-plu ... 0-p-5.html

the ECU im trying to connect to is a BOSCH M1.5.5 EURO2 or as others called it MOTRONIC ME 1.5.5

thank you in advance

Jan (Greece)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

You'd need to use a proper definition (ADX) file to communicate with the hardware. What definition are you using and where did you get it?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

Mark hello again, im not loading any definition file, im just trying to see if the interface is recognized through TunerPRO.

Im trying through TunerPRO Preferences -> Data Acq./Emulation, to configure and test the KWP2000+ Interface to go to the next step.

Thank you in advance for your help

Jan (Greece)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro cannot talk to the hardware without a proper ADX definition, or a proper plug-in designed for your hardware.

Perhaps you could convince your community to create a plug-in for this.

-Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
sunbeam

Post by sunbeam »

mark, thank you for your very fast reply. i'm not looking forward to convince my community to anything because i think it would make more sense to find/create a ADX definition file for this Hardware.

Also, it would be done faster :lol:

i didn't know that for the testing the interface it would need any file, i thought the files are needed to actually connect to the ECU.

oh well...

Anyway, again, thank you for your help, and i hope i can bother you if something comes up.

Keep up the great work

Jan (from Greece)