newbie needs some help

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

89 IROC CONV

newbie needs some help

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

hello everyone, im using tunerpro rt with a moates aldl and ostirich2. 747ecm with a moates socket booster. my problem is this. code 51 prom shows up in flags evertime. next problem im having is when i make a change in flags lets say set code 32 and hit the update button . nothing happen. no changes take effect when emulating. the only changes i can see and hear from the motor in the car is when i upload a different bin. also when i upload a current bin to emulator i have to have checksum disabled or unchecked aa to off set 04 does not work nor does aa 08. not that i know what any of that means lol. any help whould be great and remember im very new to this. so simple would be good. oyea im using anlw5469 xdf61 ads $61 it also ask me after trying to make changes if i want to save modified bin and xdf i always hit no. because the changes never took place in the car when i hit the update button. i think it maybe a hardware problem / improper install on my part but it does load different bins in the ostrich and they do effect the cars tune. any :idea:
mark m
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

'7747 has the checksum byte at 0x04, so set for "04" in preferences.

You're using the wrong xdf and ads and is likely why you're not seeing any change in the way it runs or at least not your expected changes. The '7747 uses $42. This can be found on the moates site and I believe it is also on Tuner Pro as well.
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

thanks for the reply sixshooter.using xdf42 ads $42 . i have the box checked to disable checksum by uploading 0xaa to off set ox04. is that correct? when i hit the update it does so. then i hit verify ram and verify fail's. verify fails when uploading different bins to my ostirich also. unless i uncheck the box to disable checksum what does that do?. i have been trying to work with flags because they are the easiest as i understand it. however this plug and play has really been a nitemare . i have spent countless hrs reading and working on this to no end. what is enable prominator support in the emulation perference . there is no talk of it in the help topics .which i have read a dozen times. even tryed the lsb frist in checksum data editor. made no difference. checksum data reads data start 0004 data end offf. store address 0000 store size 16bit date size 8bit calculation sum no carry. i know something is missing but what? there are so many veriable's .the program my computer the ostrich2 the socket booster. and me installing it all which i think i did a good job at but i dont solder everday but it looks good to me. and the car runs good but i have a motor build for the car which will need to be tuned in the near future that is if i can ever get this stuff to work . one would think after 3 weeks of this something would pan out. :idea:
mark m
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

89 IROC CONV wrote:thanks for the reply sixshooter.using xdf42 ads $42 .
Good, you should have better luck with that. ;)
i have the box checked to disable checksum by uploading 0xaa to off set ox04. is that correct? when i hit the update it does so. then i hit verify ram and verify fail's. verify fails when uploading different bins to my ostirich also. unless i uncheck the box to disable checksum what does that do?.
With the "disable checksum" box checked the verify will ALWAYS fail, unless the checksum byte is already at value "AA", which unless you have modified this byte in hex or are using $59 (Which is for a completly different ECM), it won't be set to "AA". All it takes is one byte to be different for the verify to fail.
i have been trying to work with flags because they are the easiest as i understand it. however this plug and play has really been a nitemare . i have spent countless hrs reading and working on this to no end. what is enable prominator support in the emulation perference . there is no talk of it in the help topics .which i have read a dozen times.
Prominator support is for just that, The Prominator, you'r not using one, so don't worry about it.
even tryed the lsb frist in checksum data editor. made no difference. checksum data reads data start 0004 data end offf. store address 0000 store size 16bit date size 8bit calculation sum no carry. i know something is missing but what?
Unless you know exactly how to work with hex, I would leave most of those types of settings alone at this point. With the available xdfs, ads, and such already available, especially for $42, you should really be able to just load the files and start tuning. Yes it is a slight bit more involved than that, but don't look for a problem that isn't there. ;)
there are so many veriable's .the program my computer the ostrich2 the socket booster. and me installing it all which i think i did a good job at but i dont solder everday but it looks good to me. and the car runs good but i have a motor build for the car which will need to be tuned in the near future that is if i can ever get this stuff to work . one would think after 3 weeks of this something would pan out. :idea:
Sounds like you're using TP RT V4.14.

Do you have "emulation enabled"? I'd have to load V4.14 to my laptop again, but IIRC there is a button in the upper tool bar, that has two blue arrows, that enables and disables emulation, so that as you make canges to the bin in TP RT, the same changes will be uploaded to the Ostrich. It sounds like you might not have this enabled, since you say the changes don't seem to take effect until you upload a new bin.

You'll get it, tuning for the first time is not an easy thing. I've been doing this for a few years now and still learn something new most times I am out tuning. I'm not saying that it takes years to learn how to get to a point to tune an engine, just saying that even for some of us that have been doing this a while, we can still learn something or come up with new ways to tune often.

The first vehicle I tuned, like outright tuned, was a friend's 1967 Chev Pick up, that had a 409 (well, the smaller sibling that was about 365 c.i.), with a home made short runner MPFI intake, home made headers, 10:1 or so SCR, and some other parts, that we started with a '7747 ECM on, we moved to a '7730 eventually, because I couldn't get the fueling correct on the '7747, due to partly my inexperiance, and the way the fuel system was set-up. The steep learning curve is worth it in end, when he can now hit the remote start button and it fires up on it's own. :D There's still a few little tweaks that I want to make, but for now, he's very happy with the results.
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

ok sixshooter u got me learning here i think. :D when i downloaded tunerpro rt and opened it up for the frist time there where already bins and ads files loaded in it. my check sum reads oxAA to off set oxo4 . im not using $59 so oxaa would be incorrect. correct? the only time verify does not fail is when the box is unchecked... which is maybe why it will load whole different bins . so if oxaa is not correct for adf42 ads $42 . what would i set it to. i know nothing about this hex stuff. and i maybe be way off here . i deleted all the bins ads xdf files and only have anlw5469 $42 in it now. i app your help with this.
mark m
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

i have had emulation enabled and im using tuner pro rt 4.14 .. the only thing i have changed on my own is in checksum it did read oxaa to off set ox08 so i changed it to o4 but i didnt change oxaa because i dont know quack about hex . should it be oxoo to off set oxo4 . just a geuss.
mark m
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

well good news :) its working now. checksum box unchecked and it update's and makes changes to the car when running . the only thing i did different that i know of. is redown loaded tunerpro rt. a big thanks to you six shooter.
mark m