ECM connection issues.

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Stealth305

ECM connection issues.

Post by Stealth305 »

Hello!

I do not believe this to be a bug as I haven't found any other posts, (yet). That is why I am posting here.

I have a new USB AutoProm with the lateset version of TunerPro.Except for 2 times, (once at 160, once at 8196), I can not connect to the ECM. 8196 baud just does not connect, (I did set the switch appropriately). 160 baud connects but is all packet errors. The 2 times that did connect, there were numerous packet errors. Any ideas? ECM, hardware, software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Stealth305
1992 Camaro RS 305 ci.
SR Torquer heads.
Stealth Ram, LT4 Hot cam.
Edelbrock TES headers.
Dual CAT Flowmaster exhaust.
Stealth305

Post by Stealth305 »

I neglected important info. It is a 1227165 ecm with a $6e BIN. Attepting 160 baud with the vertical switch in the center and the 8196 baud in the upper postion. I move the switch before hitting the 'Connect to ECM' button. The switch down, key on and engine not running gives me the flashing SES.

Stealth305
1992 Camaro RS 305 ci.
SR Torquer heads.
Edelbrock TES headers.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

use 8192. Switch all the way up. If the horizontal switch is towards the serial port, be sure TunerPro is configured to use the AutoProm as the ALDL interface type. If the switch away from the port, set the interface type to MAX232.

That should do it! I have a '165 $6E car (and a serial/USB autoprom), so trust me, it works!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Stealth305

Post by Stealth305 »

Hello again!

Well I've gotten it to run in the AUTOPROM mode with almost no problem. I have not persued the logging only aspect for now. As I said, ALMOST... During logging, sometimes logging just stops. No updates and any attempts to reconnect result in a NOT CONNECTED state. The only way to get it to start logging again is to shut off the car and restart it, (resetting the ECM?). It almost seems like a communication error. I have used 2 different laptops and changed out the ECM with a new referb unit. Any insight?

Thanks,
Stealth305
1992 Camaro RS 305 ci.
SR Torquer heads.
Edelbrock TES headers.
chrome_ashes

Post by chrome_ashes »

I have seen similar problems with a standard ALDL interface cable when command chaining is used. If you have some commands chained, try disabling it.
88305tpiT/A

Post by 88305tpiT/A »

I am having the same problem here. USB Autoprom 165ecm 6e code in 8192 mode. I can ususally connect to the ecm but usually I log for about 5000 scans and then all data goes 0. I cannot reconnect unless I turn the car off and on. I dont know what command chaining is so.. what do I do?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The problem you describe is a problem with the 1227165 itself, not the software or the cable. Pretty much all of them exhibit this problem. Sometimes it happens after 3 minutes, sometimes after 50 minutes. UNfortuantely, I haven't found a cure yet.

Even my AutoXRay scanner has this issue.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
88305tpiT/A

Post by 88305tpiT/A »

oh ok thanks for clearing that up.