How does this all work?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

hyper24

How does this all work?

Post by hyper24 »

So Tuner PRO lets me edit my BIN files for my ECU through XFD files?

How do I log the data from my car, TPS signal, RPM, O2 reading? I know it comes from the ALDL port (running an old GM ecu)
How do I get wideband O2 support? I would love the wideband O2 data to come up on the same graphs that my RPM and TPS values are put on how do I do this?

Is it possible to have all this come up in tuner pro or is another program needed to log and Tuner PRO just makes the changes?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Tuner Pro RT, allows you to datalog and with the right equipment also make real time changes to the bin file.

The file needed for connecting to the ALDL port is called an ".ads" file. It is different for different ECMs, and even different masks, for same ECMs.

Many .ads files are located on the downloads page on this site, along with the fileman site located at moates.net.

You will need an ALDL cable, moates.net has the ALDU1 AKA "Xtreme ALDL", which is a great USB based ALDL cable.

You can also make your own serial based ALDL cable, schematics for MAX232, 2 transistor or single transistor based cables are floating around on the net, and can be made for under $30 usually, but the laptop would then require a native serial port or a good quality serial to USB converter. Serial to USB converters with the FTDI chipset seem to be the most reliable.

My suggestion is to just buy the Moates.net cable, has been the most reliable cable I have used.

As far as logging WBO2 goes, there's a couple ways to do that.

One way is to log the WBO2 with it's own software, and depending on the brand that you have, you may be able to tap off the sensors and attach it to the WBO2 inputs, such as the Zeitronix ZT-2, 14point7.com's JAW WBO2, Innovate's LM1 or LM2, Innovate's LC-1 and SSI-4 will all allow you to log WBO2 plus 4 or more other inputs that you would need to hardwire. Refer to the manufacturer's manuals more specific information.

You can also use "patched" bins that will allow an un-used input of the ECM to be connected to the 0 to 5V output of the WBO2 sensor for logging through the ALDL.
Patched and modified bins, such as $59 (www.code59.org), S_AUJP (found in the moates' fileman download section), and a few other patched bins will allow WBO2 logging. Just about any ECM could use a patched bin, but some will require very intimate knowledge of disassembling and re-assembling bins to do so. Knowing what ECM and mask you are using will help in determining which way is best or easiest for you.