datalogging problems usbautoprom

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

89gta5.7tpi

datalogging problems usbautoprom

Post by 89gta5.7tpi »

I just got a usb autoprom with the latest version of tuner pro rt and am getting a bunch of strange data when logging. Here is what I've got:
89 gta 350 tpi,
stock 1227165 ECM,
uploaded hypertech chip that I bought new for this car and emulating with, I have the autoprom with vertical switch all the way up horizontal switch toward usb port,I'm using the (1227165-160 Baud Data Stream Def 10/16/03) that came with the tuner pro rt software.
When I try to record data the error count continues to rise and I have a sample rate of 0.50Hz. When I played back one record it said: Temp -18.40F, 22mph, 25rpm, sample rate 10Hz. The truth is: 190F,0mph, and 3000rpm. What's the deal? It says I'm connected, so why do I have the error count? What am I missing? I double checked all the driver settings and they are all ok too. I couldn't use the newer ads file because it won't connect. I'd like to figure this thing out so I can see if I'm getting anywhere with my changes,any help would be appreciated.
89gta5.7tpi

Post by 89gta5.7tpi »

I wanted to say that I fixed the error count issue by changing the Tools/Preferences/Interface setting from "MAX232/2-Trans/AP Passsthrough" to "Auto Prom". I thought this would also fix the crazy data problems but didn't. It says I'm connected and recording but the playback data is all wrong and the meter bar doesn't scroll from left to right at any time. I read through all the help listings in TunerProRT to see if I missed anything but I don't think I have. I'm running a dell lattitude with a PIII 750mhz and WinXP. I think my processor is plenty fast, but could the WinXP software be causing any problems??
89 GTA 350 0.60 overbore, stealth ram, bbk58mm, 26lb/hr Accels,K&N,730ecm,MSD pro billet...
chrome_ashes

Post by chrome_ashes »

Try using the other 165 definition file that came with TP.

1227165_6E.ads

I believe your car is an 8192 baud rate.
89gta5.7tpi

Post by 89gta5.7tpi »

Thanks for the input, I was beginning to think I was all alone...I tried that also and get the same results, either file does the same thing. I tried recording on each several times thinking that maybe things weren't hooking up right. I kept getting different data but none of it was right. The rpms and temp were all wrong and most of the other data came up as zeros. My car also "hiccups" a bunch when I'm driving/emulating at cruising speed and has completely died twice(not too fun on the highway with no power steering and traffic :shock: ) forcing me to restart the emulation sequence. Are these related or am I the only one having these problems?
89 GTA 350 0.60 overbore, stealth ram, bbk58mm, 26lb/hr Accels,K&N,730ecm,MSD pro billet...
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

1) Load 1227165_6E.ads
2) If the horizontal switch is toward the USB port, make sure TunerPro is set up to use the AutoProm as the ALDL interface. If its away from the port, set it up as a MAX232 interface. NOTE: if the horizontal switch is towards the port, make sure TunerPro detects the AutoProm. If you see "Hardware not found" in the bottom left of the status bar, your driver isn't installed or configured correctly.
3) Vertical switch all the way towards the top of the unit.
4) Click connect a few times until it connects (make sure the key is on, of course, and the ECM is powered). This may take 10 or more attempts sometimes.

If you can't get it to connect, try placing the horizontal switch away from the port (towards the outside of the autorpom), set TunerPro to work with a MAX232 interface, restart TunerPro, and attempt to connect.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
89gta5.7tpi

Post by 89gta5.7tpi »

Yes the Tuner Pro RT version 3.09 connects to the Auto Prom, at no time did I ever try to data log or emulate when it said "Hardware Not Found". When the car died it was because I lost connection somehow and that is why I had to reconnect. I've been busy working every day lately and haven't had much time to work on this thing,but here's what I have done so far:
1. Auto Prom horizontal switch towards USB
2. Auto Prom vertical switch all the way up
3. Hooked up the Auto Prom to the ALDL lead which plugs into the ALDL plug on the car and plugged the ECM header into the Moates zif adapter which plugs into the computer on the car
4. Plugged the USB lead into laptop
5. Turned on laptop
6. Turned on car key
7. Openned Tuner Pro RT where it automatically detected/connected to the to the Auto Prom
8. Preferences set to "Auto Prom" mode and "10 Hz" sample rate
9. Openned emulation tool bar
10. Openned arap bin
11. Uploaded bin/"Upload succeeded"
12. Verified/"Verify succeeded"
13. Began emulation
14. Started car
15. Openned data logging tool bar
16. Loaded 1227165_6E.ads
17. Clicked on the "Begin Monitoring" tab then tab changed to "Stop Monitoring"
18. Thinking I should now see some data I click on the sensor tab and all I get is a bunch of garbage data just as I have every other attempt!!???

I then tried to data log in the pass through mode "MAX232" with the horizontal switch away from the USB going through the same steps I did above and the same thing happened only worse, the error count rose by the hundreds and the data still sucked! I tried changing the sample rate to 8 Hz which stopped the error count but did nothing for the crappy data.

I thought then that maybe you were right and I did improperly download the Moates USB Driver software. I deleted all the software from my laptop and uninstalled everything to do with it. I then followed every step of the installation instructions on the Moates web page and everything was installed per instruction including all settings.

The same steps were followed that I stated originally and the same thing occurred to me with the data logging in both the "Auto Prom" mode and the "Max232" passthrough mode :x

I was going to try to delete all of the Tuner Pro RT software and reinstall it to see if something was wrong there but haven't had time to yet and really don't believe it will change anything anyway!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

1) Eliminate emulation. Use the stock chip for the car. This will ensure that you're not in limp home mode, which would keep ALDL information from being broadcasted

2) how do you have an emulation toolbar? I haven't released the version that has that. Or do you mean emulation toolbox? =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
89gta5.7tpi

Post by 89gta5.7tpi »

Calling the tool box a tool bar was just a minor mistake, there was a much bigger one that I found today which was causing my data logging problems. I had went into the "Edit ALDL Datastream Definition" screan for the ads. file and checked the 160 baud box. This was done before I asked for help here, and I had forgot about doing this by the time I was told in this thread that my car was 8192 baud. I had been misinformed elsewhere that all MAF 165 thirdgens were 160 baud so I thought at the time that checking the 160 baud box would help me out. I now know that the 1989 165 MAF cars are 8192 baud like the later 730 SD cars and this being said I hope you can accept my appologies for waisting your time here on me and my ignorance.

However, I think that if all this hardware and software I purchased as a package had came with some clearly written instructions for both it and the Auto Prom, that I wouldn't have had such a difficult time with this. I read the instructions in the help menus and the ones I saw said something about "toggling switches" into their proper positions on the Auto Prom but they did not say what those positions were, so by the time I asked around and read what I neaded to know I had already gotten really confused and screwed myself by checking that 160 baud box among other things.

Could you be a little more considerate of newbies like me in the future Mark, and maybe put some really specific Auto Prom switching instructions in the help section of your next release? I know I would have appreciated this, and would have done better if I had access to detailed instructions prior to my mishaps. Craig's instruction sheet was kind of vague and only said what resistances the vertical switch positions were not their baud rates. His instructions also stated the "middle" position was the one "normally" used and I think this is just one of the many things that added to the confusion.

Thanks for all the help! I can finally get started tuning my car now that I can monitor progress :D
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I'll be frank with you here. Although I realize that the documentation is not the best, my intention is to spend as much time on the software as possible. Not the software documentation. Documentation is better left to the forums (especially www.thirdgen.org/techbb2), where you can have others in the community help you. Your comment is much appreciated. This stuff isn't easy, and (Craig and I) do the best with the time we've got.

I hope you enjoy your tuning!

Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am