Lookup tables for calculations

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

SPOOLD U

Lookup tables for calculations

Post by SPOOLD U »

I am loving the lookup table feature in ScannerPro, since I have some sensors that are non-linear. However when trying to set up parameters on Tunerpro it's a bitch because I can only do linear calcs in TunerPro. I would like to be able to use a lookup table for value interpretation in Tunerpro as well.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

TP RT does have the ability to use look up tables, look in the editing datastream menu.
SPOOLD U

Post by SPOOLD U »

I'm not talking about for datalogging I'm talking about for bin editing.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

SPOOLD U wrote:I'm not talking about for datalogging I'm talking about for bin editing.
You mentioned how you like the look up tables in Scanner Pro, that's a datalogging only program so I thought that would be what you were talking about.

I don't understand the need for look up tables for editing the bin.

Essentially the tables that are there are look up tables, they just convert the binary to hex, or floating point or integer.

Maybe explaining exactly what you are looking to do might help.

The tables are user defined to be saved in the xdf files, number of rows and columns. This only works if that's how the bin is set up though. As an example look at the upper VE table for AUJP and then look at the upper VE table for S_AUJP. The difference to be able to use the extended upp VE table is in the bin file.

Maybe a better example would be the non-linear WBO2 tables used in $59, I think S_AUJP has some of the same WBO2 tables as well. But again, the code needs to be there in the bin file to make use of any of the tables.
SPOOLD U

Post by SPOOLD U »

for variable interpretation. Example, I want to edit a single byte 0-255 on it's proper scaling for a limitation for something, say a temperature to turn a fan on or off. The coolant temp sensor has a S curve rather than linear scaling. So to properly scale the calculated value of this bin location, I require a lookup table. The logger can do this, so that I can properly log the values, I just want to be able to edit the value without physically referencing an outside source to calculate what number to fill in the blank.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Yeah, this is something I've thought about, and has been requested once before. I don't think it will make the initial V5 release, but it's on my list for the V5 series. It's good to know that more than just myself and one other person wants it. :)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Maybe a little explaination on how this is used or why?

I'm still not following how this would be used.

Not a GM need?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

For instance, GM OBDI computers have a cylinder select to choose between 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, etc. The values are $80, $C0, and $00 respectively.

Instead of relying on the user to enter the right (rather arbitrary) value of 80, C0, or 00, why not have a lookup table (AKA an "enumeration") instead, where you can assign a string or description to the value:

"8 Cylinders" maps under the covers to $00
"6 Cylinders" maps under the covers to $C0
"4 Cylinders" maps under the covers to $80

The user would select one of those three (in this example) from a drop list.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Mangus wrote:For instance, GM OBDI computers have a cylinder select to choose between 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, etc. The values are $80, $C0, and $00 respectively.

Instead of relying on the user to enter the right (rather arbitrary) value of 80, C0, or 00, why not have a lookup table (AKA an "enumeration") instead, where you can assign a string or description to the value:

Ahhh.

BTW good example, I had been trying to find a calculation for that, but there doesn't seem to be one. :lol:

I see where you're coming from now. I guess I just take it forgranted that I've learned to deal with stuff like that. *shrug*

It would make it nicer for beginners to use something like that, in instances where hex is the only input variable, not many people have found or read your introduction to hex, which BTW THANK YOU for writing and publishing that, it has helped me greatly understand how to manipulate and tune. :D
ToBeFrank

Post by ToBeFrank »

I also want this feature!
SPOOLD U

Post by SPOOLD U »

Mangus wrote:For instance, GM OBDI computers have a cylinder select to choose between 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, etc. The values are $80, $C0, and $00 respectively.

While that would be an awesome similar feature, I was more wanting to do it for interpreting sensors that have non-linear outputs. Having both would be pretty sweet.