I want to write a ALDL definition File

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Sledgehammer007

I want to write a ALDL definition File

Post by Sledgehammer007 »

Ok Here is what I have

A copy of the A039 Data Stream. I believe that is what I need for my 88 Cavalier Z24, 2.8 MPFI.

A copy of scanner pro, and tunerpro RT.

The autoprom and Laptop

I'm really good at editing Bin's, when I have a completed definition but have never written a .xdf file ether.

I took 2 courses in college for VB6 and thats about the extent of my programing experience. Not real good with Hex but I can stumble my way through.

If I get the time tonight I am going to try and open the EE.adx file and convert it to what i need for my cavalier with the info on my attachment.

Is there something else I'm missing or will need?

Is there any kind of guide to this stuff or is it possible to figure out on my own?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Unfortunately I haven't yet written any kind of guide or documentation, because the definition format is still a bit in flux (or at least the UI).

You're not missing anything. If you want a good example, take a look at the 6E ADX and compare it to A059.ds - that should give you a working example to reverse engineer.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

On the topic of .ds files...

What program do I need to view these? I downloaded the "ALDL stuff" zip folder from fileman, un-zipped it, but that's about all I've been able to do with it so far, and I figured I would be able to find something useful in there too.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

notepad
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Mangus wrote:notepad
Sweet, thanks Mark.

:)
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Mangus wrote:Unfortunately I haven't yet written any kind of guide or documentation, because the definition format is still a bit in flux (or at least the UI).

You're not missing anything. If you want a good example, take a look at the 6E ADX and compare it to A059.ds - that should give you a working example to reverse engineer.
Is this "6E ADX" that you mention the "6E_160baud.adx" or "6E_8192.adx"?

These are both in the "Bin definitions" that seems to be a part of the Scanner Pro download.

TIA.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, so it looks like the proper adx to reference is "6E_160baud.adx", since what I see as a pattern is what I thought I saw yesterday, but then it didn't seem to crossreference between Scanner Pro and Tuner Pro RT for the same application.

The pattern I see is that the "byte" used by Tuner Pro RT, is converted to hexidecimal, and used in the "Packet Offset (Hex)" location in the adx editor.

Is that correct mark?

I compared the "6E_160baud.adx", to A059 file that I downloaded from file man, and this is where I figured out this pattern.

If what I see is correct, why do the same applications seem to use different bytes of the datastream between the .ads used by TP RT and the .adx used by Scanner Pro. I compared $59 .ads and .adx files, and I believe a few others, and none seem to match between the two programs.

BTW, the "import" function doesn't seem to really do anything, as that was my first attempt, to create a new .adx. I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to point that out if it was supposed to work.

*EDIT*

Well I figured it out....

Yesterday when I was comparing .ads and .adx files for code $59, I forgot that hexidecimal starts at 0 (0x00 or $00), and that numerical starts 1 (I remembered the latter :P ), so I didn't offset the byte number by -1 when I was comparing them. Now it all makes sense.

I'm still curious about the "unique ID" box and it's function in the program.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

A059 has both the 160 baud stream and the 8192 baud stream (which is a little further down in the DS file).

ScannerPro uses a 0-based offset (the first offset is 0), and tunerPro uses a 1-based (the first offset is 1).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Mangus wrote:A059 has both the 160 baud stream and the 8192 baud stream (which is a little further down in the DS file).

ScannerPro uses a 0-based offset (the first offset is 0), and tunerPro uses a 1-based (the first offset is 1).
I noticed that both baud rates were defined in the A059 file, which I thought was kinda odd. As far as I knew (GM) ECMs were only capable of communicating on the ALDL link in one speed (baud) or the other.

Just clarify, the addressing, in the $42 datastream file the Byte numbers start at "1", so this would actually "0" or "0x00" in Scanner Pro, correct? This would make each byte one lower numerically than what is shown in the datastream file that I have. "1" in the file = 0 "0x00", 2 in file = 1 "0x01", 3 in file = 2 "0x03, etc?

Can you look in my thread ("creating ADX files"), and let me know if I'm on the right track.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

1227165 ECMs can communiate at 160 and 8192 baud.

The unique ID is used to uniquely identify each item by the software's inner-workings. This ID is used when linking output from one item as input to another (for instance in the fuel economy value in the included definition).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am