ecu and bin files

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

mmcdjs

ecu and bin files

Post by mmcdjs »

HEllo! Thanks for making this program. I am hoping to get it to work with my 3.1L V6 1991 Firebird. I am having some difficulty in finding a ECU and BIN file though. Can anyone here tell me where to get it or email them to me?

thanks! :lol:
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

you will need info on what ECM your car uses and what code mask it uses. then go to www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ and look there.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

ecm

Post by mmcdjs »

Hello,

I was told that I have the 730 ecm $88 mask. I think that the bin files in called AZTY.BIN. I am really just looking to adjust for the 1.6RR, port/polish, MTC-5 Cam, and 19# injectors. I only have the stock injectors, 15#, installed right now because it doesn't run right with the 19's in.

thanks,

dale
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

bin stuff

Post by mmcdjs »

Thanks for the link, but I really can't use it. I can only use my work computer right now and it won't let me connect to FTP sites or download most files. I live on a ship in Norfolk, VA.

thanks,
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

cool, but i dont know what to tell you then.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

ps - how do you drive your car on a ship?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

car

Post by mmcdjs »

Well, it is a big ship! I'm on an aircraft carrier.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

sweet. i can't remember the last time i saw a civy car on an ACC, though. =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

eprom

Post by mmcdjs »

well, I modified my engine and I can't seem to find the right stuff to get the ECM done now. Any suggestions?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

drive to a friends house who has a computer that allows you to download files. or to a kinkos or something.

can't get bin files without downloading, man. ;-)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

files

Post by mmcdjs »

I think that I found the BIN file already, it's ATZY.BIN. But the ECU is the problem right now. I need one for the 91 3.1L V6 "t" from a camaro or Firebird.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

oh. well, its pretty likely that autozone or an equivelant *good* auto parts store will have the ECM you're looking for. if not, there are a number of specialty junk yards that specialize in the thirdgens. see the adds at www.thirdgen.org.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

ECU

Post by mmcdjs »

I still have the stock ECM, but it's my daily driver and I don't want to take the MEMCAL off to have it read, I don't have a reader/burner anyway. I was really looking to see if anyone already had the ECU file that I could use instead.

thanks for the help on this! If I can get right files, would you mind helping me edit it?

Dale
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

so, it sounds as though maybe you don't have a complete understanding of how chip burning works.

there are some good articles on it, but as a brief overview, there are a number of things you need:

1) the bin file. this can be had by reading the chip in your car (which, in most cases requires you to de-solder the chip and put it in a PROM reader/burner), or this can be had if you know the part number/code of your chip and you download it.

2) the editor. you can use GMECM Edit to edit the chip, but you need the ECU file (which is only a "description" file) to edit the mask (which you say is $88 ). You can get this from various sources, include www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ FTP, or by looking around at www.thirdgen.org. There are a number of resources for ECU files. Some are better than others. In some cases there are multiple ECU's to choose from for a particular mask. Some are better than others.

3) the burner. once edited, you need to burn it on to a new chip (you can't burn onto the old one). This, again, requires you to de-solder the chip from the CALPACK.

if you're not comfortable de-soldering the chip, or intend to one day put things back the way they are stock, you can use one of the adapters by Craig Moates. www.moates.net. Thats what I do.

as far as getting help on this, the message boards at www.thirdgen.org are a good starting place. read the archives, then ask questions if you're still unlcear.

theres a bit of a learning curve when it comes to DIY PROM burning, but once you have everything in place, its pretty simple.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

and i cannot stress enough the importance of reading up (the archives) at the www.thirdgen.org message boards, DIY-PROM forum.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mmcdjs

prom

Post by mmcdjs »

Well, I've read a lot of the articles and I've got to admit that I don't understand a good deal of it. I've been told that all I need to do is adjust the injector pulse and the VE tables to compensate for the higher air and larger injectors. But the numbers are the problem. I've looked at the VE tables and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to adjust the entire thing! the pulse constant on the injectors is 48 now with 15# stock injectors, with the 19#injectors would I have to increase or decrease it in proportion to the change in size?

lots of questions and I'm sure there are no easy answer, but thanks for any help!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

probably decrease it. and as a starting point I would guess by the same percentage by which you are over-injected (19/15 = 1.26 or 26%).

i know little to nothing about SD and your ECM/combo, so this is a good question to post to the boards at thirdgen.org. You should be able to get a decent answer.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Charlie Slack

ECU File Descriptions, 95 Buick 3.8 L, L engine,16183247 ECU

Post by Charlie Slack »

Hi all, Just joined. Have a problem with my daughter's 95 Buick
Lesabre, 3.8 L , ECU 16183247. I have built the RS232 interface
to the diagnostics port (16 Pin) and using Free scan I can at least
see that the headers are read and date, time, but obviously I need the protocal for this particular engine. I'll also try
Craig Moates ECM852 tonite. Buick put the OBD II connector,
16 pin, but the ECU still runs on 8192 baud and uses the ALDL
like info. Any help w3ould be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch , this looks like a great forum!
Charlie Slack, Austin Texas :)
slack@arlut.utexas.edu
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

ftp://diy-efi.org

look for a zip file called "aldlstuff" or something similar. in it you will find definitions or just about (if not) every OBDI application.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Charlie Slack

95 Buick 16183247 ECM Bin

Post by Charlie Slack »

Thanks Mangus! I found it after some searching.
Now have to figure how to use it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks Again, Charlie :)
extremez

Post by extremez »

Hello every one , I am considering some major engine upgrades to my 1991 Z-28, I am gonna get the edelbrock tpi upper and lower intake, or a similar aftermarket set up. the car came stock with the L98 350 with a automatic trans. I am upgrading to a Tremec 5 speed trans. I was wondereing if anyone in here could give me some advice on what changes i need to make to my PROM among some of the engine changes i am gonna upgrade to a significantly larger cam. Also considering nitrous, and wanna know if there is a way to manipulate the bins so i can change pulse width injection, and timing when i hit the nitrous button.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

These are good questions for www.thirdgen.org/techbb2

The short answer is you'll probably need to change some of the MAF, AE, and DE tables to compensate for the different airflow.

"hitting a button" to change the BPW would require you to change actual source code and would be no easy task. The TGO boards might get you some more info.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am