TunerPro RT 4.14 locks up when "upload failed"

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

91vette

TunerPro RT 4.14 locks up when "upload failed"

Post by 91vette »

Hello, I hope this is a solvable issue, I'll try my best to explain what is happening. This now occurs every time I try to use TunerPro with my AutoProm. No matter the task (emulating or burning chips) after 5 or 10 minutes communication is lost with the autoprom. The symptoms of this are that ALDL data is no longer updated, and I get the "upload failed" and "verify failed" when i try those functions. When this happens, I've tried "auto detect hardware" button, and the status display says "initializing..." and then the software locks up. I've also tried just exiting tunerpro and restarting it, but when i try to restart, it says tunerpro is already open. When i try to kill the process in (win2000pro) task manager, it says access is denied.

This has now happened both connected to the ECM and on the bench (autoprom connected only to PC for burning chips).

So, two questions: What can I do to not loose communication? I'll try a different USB cable and a noise suppressor. Is grounding an issue? Is there a way to add a chassis ground between the ECM, AutoProm, and PC?

Next, How can I get the software to recover without requiring a reboot after it looses communication?

Thanks!
DENN_SHAH

Post by DENN_SHAH »

i had the very same problem about a year or so ago with XP pro.
i don't remember just what i did to fix it now, i think it was a setting in either windows or TunerPro.
it drove me nuts for a few days & it turned out to be something simple.
i remember it went from working fine to having problems over night.
make sure you have all power savers, screen saver, & anything else like them turned off.
i may have had to reinstall the Moates drivers.
91vette

Post by 91vette »

Update on issue: I tried a new laptop (IBM with XP) and grounded the autoprom to the laptop. I started emulating and even the "verify data" worked. (The "target AFR" changed every time I did a verify though) It worked for about an hour, enough time for me to get quite a few low load points done on the VE tables, then it happened again. "update failed" So I tried to save the data changes, but TunerPro crashed and I lost all my data. Arrrgh! Please help!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Did you change the latency setting in the USB driver? It should be set to 1. This sounds an awful lot like a driver issue to me.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
91vette

Post by 91vette »

Yes, the latency timer is already set to 1 msec.
91vette

Post by 91vette »

Now TunerPro RT will not detect the autoprom at all. When I connect the autoprom, the "serial to usb" port shows up (COM4), and all the driver settings are as described by the moates usb driver readme.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Is the horizontal switch towards the USB port? If not, that's the problem.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
91vette

Post by 91vette »

Doh! The horizontal switch was the problem. I didn't change it on purpose so I must have bumped it. Sorry! Is there any way to monitor the "health" of the USB connection to see if some specific event or signal level is causing the issue of it loosing communication after a while?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

91vette wrote:Doh! The horizontal switch was the problem. I didn't change it on purpose so I must have bumped it. Sorry! Is there any way to monitor the "health" of the USB connection to see if some specific event or signal level is causing the issue of it loosing communication after a while?
No, not really.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am