Diagnosing datalogging issues?

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

tyler.h117

Diagnosing datalogging issues?

Post by tyler.h117 »

I have a CDAN4/LLX3 ECU w/ a quarterhorse that I'm scratching my head on with datalogging. I am using Decipha's XDF/ADX/BIN and we finally made the switch from Binary Editor to TunerPro RT for datalogging. Always been flashing with TPRT, though personally I had been using BE to DIY tune some. Anyways, one day he remoted in to check things out and came up with it being a Quarterhorse/hardware-related issue.

Now I am trying to diagnose what's going wrong and where. I pulled the QH and cleaned the J3 port by wicking the pads and flowing fresh solder on them. Plugged QH back up and it datalogged succesfully. Within the same day I pulled a log, posted it, got an updated .bin and went to datalog again but all the values were maxxed out. No matter how much fooling around I've done have I gotten it to work. Now today after it going on a month of not fooling with the car I randomly plugged my laptop up and the values populated but were entirely wrong. Such as the long term fuel trims would be 364 instead of around 1.00. Disconnected the laptop to go into work but when I come back out later it's back to being max values. If I boot up Binary Editor (without TunerPro RT open) I can datalog seemingly perfectly fine.

What I've tried:

- Exact same BIN/XDF/ADX that worked for me previously. After I loaded the new bin I reverted back, no changes.
- Completely fresh installed windows 10 on a different laptop
- Replaced cable between computer and QH
- Flashing tune with key off, out of ignition, and made certain Binary Editor was never open during flashing or verifying RAM contents
- Flash tune -> verify -> download bin -> flash bin -> verify
- Reseated cable and QH
- Cleaned J3 port a millionth time. Toothbrush + 97% iso
- Inspected entire ECU, pins, and QH under microscope
- Pulling QH battery, waiting 60 seconds, reinstalling.
- XDF/ADX author remoting in to verify software side of things

I do not have another Quarterhorse to test. I do not have another ECU to test with either. Is there any way to troubleshoot this and figure it out?
dex
The Ford Guy

Re: Diagnosing datalogging issues?

Post by dex »

If you can datalog with Binary Editor satisfactorily then that suggests there is nothing wrong with the hardware (PC, ECU or QH). You need to concentrate your investigations on the TunerPro configuration and/or the definition you are using.
tyler.h117

Post by tyler.h117 »

dex wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:01 pm If you can datalog with Binary Editor satisfactorily then that suggests there is nothing wrong with the hardware (PC, ECU or QH). You need to concentrate your investigations on the TunerPro configuration and/or the definition you are using.
Thanks for the response. Is there a good read up on XDF's/ADX's? Had questions such as are ADX's tied with the XDF's? Or are they a standalone file solely for datalogging, configured for the ECU/strat?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

The ADX file is standalone. The TunerPro help file has lots of useful information about definition files.
decipha

Post by decipha »

If it logged with tunerpro then that would eliminate any hardware or software mismatches.

if you switch back and forth between BE and TP you need to make sure you configure the QH correctly to mode 4 tune 2 and you have to use different tunes for BE and TP since the datalogging patch is different.

Mixing the tune files between TP and BE will cause corruption.

Make sure you write the tune with the key off. Only turn the key on AFTER it has successfully completed writing the tune.

If the dashboard freaks out and you can communicate after writing the file then turn the key off and verify the ram contents between the qh and tunerpro. If that is successful then read the tune out from the quarterhorse. Then open you tune file back up and write it to the QH to re-sync everything.

This is covered in the getting started write up. http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm#verify