Correlation of Bin file to XDF file

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

ATPCR

Correlation of Bin file to XDF file

Post by ATPCR »

I've been using a borrowed bin and xdf file to get to know my way around TunerPro. I understand the bin file is the binary data and it is the "computer" language and contains all of the information that makes the data understandable? to us humans that read english, in the form of an xdf file. I've been under the assumption that I can make adjustments in the xdf file like rear gear ratio, tire size, maf adjustments a/f r and cubic displacement. Am I on the right track with this? Also, editing the bin data would be very difficult and would be for more extreme changes like reassigning pins in the PCM and more. There is very little information available online. Could someone help me gain a little clarity about this. Also, I have purchased my new laptop for basic tuning and have TunerPro working on it. Also I have received my VCM2/J2534 pass thru device. I will be getting ECU Tools PCMflash & module #29 for the 1999 to 2004 Fords that I need to do some basic programming to. I also understand that removing PATS to some people might have a problem with however in my case, I have a 1997 Explorer 5.0//4R70W powertrain that is pre PATS, using a PCM out of a 2003-04 Ford full size sedan that I need to switch PATS off to use the conglomeration in a 1954 F-100 street vehicle. Not a race vehicle. I currently have a 1999 Crown Vic PCM and harness that was part of the original plan to use to convert the 5.0 to coil-near-plug. I assumed that with the PCMflash software that I would be able to adjust a few simpler things in the PCM which the main thing would be making changes to go from 4.6 liter engine parameters to 4.95 liter (5.0). Needless so say, I'm not quite sure what I can and can't do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by ATPCR on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATPCR

Re: Correlation of Bin file to XDF file

Post by ATPCR »

I'm amazed at the lack of tutorial resources on the internet for people that are starting out tuning Fords. Also, a glossary of terms and acronyms would be of great help. The one Ford guy that I have found has advanced so far through the learning curve that he assumes everyone knows what he is talking about when he uses slang terms and acronyms, that he is nearly impossible to follow. It's not so much the engine tuning aspect of it but how the software and proper hardware work together. I borrowed a BIN file and XDF file for/from a Ford to learn my way around TunerPro. TunerPro is very, very good and very developed from the 2 decades of development. Kudos to Mangus. If anyone can point me to some instructional videos, I would appreciate it. The way I will be using TunerPro and ECU Tools PCMflash is to, on the bench, read and write. I won't be doing any real time data collection because that is a J3 only type of thing that I won't be able to do. I have an adapter that I have put together with a datalink connector and PCM connector out of 1998 to ~2004 Ford vehicle to do bench work with. Today I found some general information about TunerPro ad TunerPro RT that is probably the best, one paragraph explanation of the two and the difference.
"TunerPro RT is a very flexible and powerful user interface for engine tuning. It uses three types of files to operate, xdf (definition files) bin (binary data files) and adx (data acquisition files). Xdf files define the parameters that can be adjusted and their memory locations. Bin files store the data that is used to tune the engine. Adx files specify the real-time data and dashboard functions."
So until there is an affordable device to replace the now extinct QH J3 device, I won't be doing any real time, RT adjustments in car.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

I recommend reading the TunerPro help file as a starting point to assist in learning what the binary file and .xdf are. As for making any parameter adjustments you will only be able to alter those parameters exposed by the definition.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

dex, OK. The help file, helps a lot. About a third of that I figured out poking around. Features like the search (magnifying glass) and parameter comments helped a lot after I figured them out. Next is to work with comparing bins. For example, earlier I opened a '97 Explorer 5.0 bin to look at the MAF settings. I took a picture of the data and closed those files and reopened RZASA Bin and XDF. I opened its MAF data and I was comparing the 4.6 data to the 5.0 data. Now I see that I can do that with the comparing bins feature. Thanks again, piece by piece and persistence, I am getting it.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

You cannot use the compare feature to compare parameters that use different strategies. If you want to do that you will need to create a temporary copy of the binary file from one of them, copy the data from the other calibration, re-open the first definition and then paste the data into the temporary binary file. You will then be able to compare the original parameter with that in the temporary binary file. Note: this will only work if the parameter being copied has the same size and scaling.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

I have yet to order the ECU Tools PCMflash & module #29 for the 1996 to 2004 because one supplier stated that any shipments were on hold because of the ridiculous war going on in Ukraine. I will try to order again in two or three weeks.
This is an ignorant question because I don't know much of what I'm doing here and add to it the fact that I don't have the software to try to use, then ask questions. So hypothetically can someone talk me through this?
So I will be using the ECU Tools PCMflash software to communicate from my laptop through the datalink connector using a VCM2 (J2534 device) with none of the software which came with the VCM2. I assume that I will be able to access the PCM and retrieve the BIN file. Where does the XDF file come from? Is it in the PCM? or does TunerPro produce this file from the BIN file? Thanks for explaining this to me in simple terms in English. I have done extensive searching on the internet and find a lot of GM information and it seems to involve HP tuner software to get the BIN file out of the GM ECM. The only Ford thing that I have found had to do with a Ford Focus and it was from overseas. I couldn't make out anything of what he was saying and watching the YouTube video of his laptop screen was not working out either. The screen was too small and the top bar of his screen was shaded such that none of the TunerPro information was legible. So I was unable to gain anything from it.
Thanks to those who have helped me so far and thanks again for any help in advance. It will be a big step for me when I can successfully even do something as simple as turning of PATS on my '99 Crown Vic test PCM to initially get my '97 pre PATS vehicle to run.
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

XDF files are hand created, by people who understand disassembly of the bin files, memory addresses, functions and tables.
When you extract the bin file from the ECU, you need the matching XDF for that strategy.

If you already have an ECU, there is a calibration code/catch code, usually 4 characters in BOLD.
You use that to determine the strategy, then you use the strategy XDF file in TunerPro in combination with the BIN file. They must match.

For your reading pleasure, http://efidynotuning.com/ has many writeups, tuning guides, learning to tune, and getting started guide.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

Yes wwhite. I'm familiar with efidynotune and the forum. It really is deep on the tuning aspect of it.
QUESTION: What would happen if you opened the wrong to each other, the bin and xdf file?
decipha

Post by decipha »

the wrong bin and xdf lineup will give you garbled data since its not showing you what it says it is

its not usable at all they both have to match

the getting started write up should have EVERYTHING you ever need to know to get started. If anything is left out, missing or confusing please do let me know and it'll get added in.

http://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm