gm freakout

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

rottblau

gm freakout

Post by rottblau »

Ok so I bought the aldl USB cable from red devil river and am currently trying to connect to a 92 Toronado,same thing as a reatta. It seems to connect with tunerpro rt but the data goes crazy every possible pid jumps up and down through a range of inaccurate readings. Just everything jumps around and it makes no sense. Any advice? I'm using the def file for a 92 reatta from tunerpro as its the closest one they have. Also any advice on which file to use for a 94 a-body with a 3100? Namely a 94 cutlass Ciera 3100 vin m. Thanks!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

A263 is for the 94-95 3100 MAF A-bodies.
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

Well the file you directed me to isn't available so I tried the 1fa definition as it says it's for 94-95 century ect which is an abody and still the readings aren't right. It connects fast but only samples at between 1-3hz and the data isn't accurate. Still confused as a beginner. Any ideas would be appreciated.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

try this version. it may have those issues fixed.

http://www.filedropper.com/a263
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

omg thank you so much it logs and streams perfectly! it's so nice to have this for my obd1. guess the mazda VCM/IDS scan tool i use at my day job spoiled me. lol. Now i just need to get it working on the 92 toronado. that may be a whole other ball game since that car has a network of modules in it talking back and fourth that the A doesn't. Still unsure why the 92-93 L27 exc reatta def won't work with it. Any clues?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

all of the 3800 applications are really finicky about the datastream for the reason you stated. some aren't as bad about it(regals, for instance), while others have 6 or 7 modules all chatting on the ALDL line.

i want to say the 92 toronado didn't get the L27 either... i want to say LN3?
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

Yeah it would make sense that it would have an LN3 but as per my FSM it says it's an L27 3800 vin L. I think i was confusing the poor car when i tried changing some of the numbers in the def file (like the 66/67 issue) and packet size since when i did that all the modules would do weird things and the dash said "Electrical Problem" which is what it does when it has comm issues. And idea what files might be close enough to work or do you suspect that it's just too busy of an aldl line? I really appreciate all your help!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

interesting..... i'm getting conflicting information in both GM documents and real-world research....

try this, see if it is capable of grabbing solid data.

http://wikisend.com/download/197510/A154test.adx

the dash acting oddly during datalogging may be unavoidable since it relies so much upon the normal datastream. it is possible that once solid datalogging information can be obtained that at the expense of some of the logging update rate, normal scheduled messages can be commanded at the normal time intervals and just squeeze log packets in between those messages. that would allow for both logging and normal operation.

it looks like up to 8 modules are connected to that single circuit though, so there may not be enough time to even get all of those messages across and still get log packets.
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

I would be all about testing that but when i try to load it it says Failed to load a154test.adx Expecting '<![CDATA['

Strange.

And it's only 5kb in size.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the 84.3 listed on wikisend is accurate.... i'm not sure why you're only getting 5KB of it?
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

well i got the file and it's still gibberish with the comms disable...might not ever be able to talk to this rare Overly computerized car :roll: If there's anything i can do to help you in the development of an ADX for it,That is if your that interested let me know. Ill try to make this the last question...any idea what file Might be used to talk to the ABS on the '94 Abody before i start randomly trying files?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

a 94 A-body would be ABS-VI.... i know i have the correct definition for it, i had to scan a 95 ciera or century with a bad wheel speed sensor.

http://www.filedropper.com/95abs-vi

as for the toronado..... i know it can be read, the Tech1 units are capable of doing it, just have to figure out which module is causing packet corruption and get it to stop communicating.

if you were to monitor the chatter on the COM port without sending any commands, the module ID for whatever is sending out packets would likely be exposed.
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

Sweet i'll have to try the abs file in a little while. As for what you said to try and find what module is talking over the aldl i don't know much about all the communication between cars and scan tools i just know what the Pids mean and how to fix it. (Certified Mazda tech). But if you need or want me to do something for research reasons i'll try if you walk me through it.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

well, basically what would be needed is software to monitor the COM port and at the correct baud rate at that. being 8192 baud, there aren't a lot of them out there and they aren't all self-explanitory as to how to work them either.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

robertisaar wrote:well, basically what would be needed is software to monitor the COM port and at the correct baud rate at that. being 8192 baud, there aren't a lot of them out there and they aren't all self-explanitory as to how to work them either.
Pretty much any serial port monitoring software should work (8192 baud isn't a problem on the PC side these days). PortMon for Windows is free, but only supports Win7 and earlier.

I use HHD's serial port monitoring software, but it's not exactly cheap.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i was playing with realterm last night, it grabs data just fine, but there is no kind of line seperation at all to indicate when start/stop bits were received so that the user knows a message started/stopped.

i could pick out and seperate all of the normal mode messages coming out of the PCM to a non-existing digital dash/DIC, but i'm also really familiar with what info should be coming out in that situation. the tech-heavy 3800 cars, really foreign to me.

if there were new lines for every message that comes across, i don't think it would be difficult to dissect it.
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

Any tips on getting the abs to play nice? Its just giving jumpy nonsense data.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if the PCM is giving weird data, the ABS module will also likely suffer the same problem. it may be the ABS module causing all of the chatter for all i know.
rottblau

Post by rottblau »

This was on the 94 abody that comms fine for engine data not the toro....oh well :(
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

in that instance..... the PCM is likely sending out normal mode messages that are causing packet issues with the ABS..... need to command the PCM to stop sending those messages, then ABS communication can continue as expected.
billgraves

92 Toro communications

Post by billgraves »

Hello,
I did the Tech-1 communications for this car. We called it a "KEEP HAPPY" Messaging.

This car has several controllers that communicate via the ALDL hi-spd link 8192. Each module has an ID and each module sends out it's message when Instructed to. If you "STEP" on these messages the SYSTEM will react and each system will go to default as you know.
If you get a TEch-1 and record the ALDL line you can SEE what these messages are. You will be able to see.
The Tech-1 WILL Override the Keep Happy messaging and get the ECM Data at 100ms rate IF YOUR PRESS THE F3 or F5 Key and HOLD IT. This is what I set up as FAST DATA and the ECM is sending out it's message as fast as possible. The Toro Will go to default with the IP, BCM, HVAC, ABS and others. Each system Will set codes and store it.

I do not think TP is set up to message to 7 modules or even 2 or 3. You will only be able to view the ECM messages while each system goes to default.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

hmm.....

i've used the header function in the ADX to capture some interesting information before without specifically sending out a request for it. the DIC/DIS fuel usage information comes to mind.

i wonder if that would be something useful to exploit here.
HorseP0w3r

A-body help

Post by HorseP0w3r »

I am a newcomer to TunerPro, so sorry for my noob-ness. I have a 95 Olds Cutlass Ciera Vin M L82 3100 with the MIL and ABS light illuminated. I have searched for weeks, looking for the correct definition file to use as the links here are dead. Using Red Devil River's ALDL USB cable combined with an IBM Thinkpad t40 (not sure if it's too ancient or not) I cannot get solid readings from the car. Every file I have tried results with readings jumping all over the place. Also many of the files I find say: except a-body.

I've tried v4 and v5

Is there any way someone can point me in the right direction of the correct datastream and abs files? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figured this would be the best place to ask as the posts here are the most recent I have found.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

A263 for your PCM, A293 for your ABS module.

I haven't done either of those yet for my last run-through, but I've built them before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mysb9o58pdz8h ... I.zip?dl=0

that should have both.