Can I use this interface with TunerPro?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Eike

Can I use this interface with TunerPro?

Post by Eike »

Hi,

I need to scan a 1227727 / 1227730 ECM and want to make a DIY-interface-cable. Can I use this interface with TunerPro?

Best wishes
Eike
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

yes, if you have a serial port on your computer. otherwise, you'll need to run some signals through a RS232->USB converter.

BTW, that schematic.... i'm not certain if you would be able to use it with a 160-baud application(without using the specific software it was designed for). reason being that instead of communicating to the computer over the RxD circuit, the CTS line is used instead. IF software is built to recognize that signal, it can work, but i don't believe tunerpro is.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

That'll work fine for both 160 and 8192.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

Mangus wrote:That'll work fine for both 160 and 8192.
will it? i don't have any 160 baud stuff to test with that exact circuit, though i've built it before.

http://wbo2.com.au/~techedge.com.au//ve ... serial.htm

i'm going off of that explanation anyways, it sounds like unless you specifically intended to support it, data would never get through a conventional serial stream.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

E and M are generally tied together.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i've seen quite a few E only applications... the only ones i can remember off-hand that seem to always have them linked are the 7165 vehicles.

i imagine that if someone is looking at that diagram to build their own though..... they're probably willing to cut out the whole seperate portion for the 160 baud comms and just bridge them on-cable to cover the possibility of E, E+M and M applications. assuming they're aware of it.
Eike

Post by Eike »

Yesterday I built the interface cable.

Connected to the serial port of the laptop the "Test For Valid Interface" says "Cable found and functional".

Connectred to laptop and car ('91 Vette AT, cable to Pin A & M) the test says "Cable not found or not functioning". Ignition was on, engine was NOT running.

I used this adx-file for a '90 Corvette

Does TunerProRT need a running engine for connecting? My problem ist a horrible idle and I want to los the starting up ... so a connection before starting the engine would be great.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

getting a cable-failed message while connected to the car is normal.

go ahead and try to connect with the ignition on(not running), engine-running status has never been a requirement for the datastream as far as i know.
Eike

Post by Eike »

Ignition on does NOT work. I tried with the engine running, too without success.

Is it possible that I need a different adx-file?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

kind of sounds like it.
Rhinoman

Post by Rhinoman »

Many serial ports do not support the odd baud rates required so you need to use a serial-USB adapter. Not many chips support 160 baud; one of the most common, the FTDI 232R, only supports baud rates down to 300 baud.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

You shouldn't need an adapter. If your computer was made in the last ten years, it'll handle the 8192 baud and 160 baud (which is actually 2400 or 4800 baud) just fine.

Try hitting the connect button a few times. your '90-'92 Vettes and F-bodies use the same definition (8D).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am