Can't connect to Burn-2

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

TerryLiv

Can't connect to Burn-2

Post by TerryLiv »

I am pretty new at this, but I have had my burn-2 for nearly 2 months and have burned 3 chips.

Now trying to connect the burn-2 to tunerpro, it will not connect. The USB port seems to work. I tried a different low number port address' on two computers and the tunerpro software still does not want to connect to the burn-2.

Is there anything I can do to help diagnose it, or is it time to have it looked at by others?

Thanks,

Terry
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Have you tried using the Flash N Burn software?

There is more info here:

http://support.moates.net/2008/09/10/flash-n-burn/
TerryLiv

Post by TerryLiv »

Thank you for the advice, but the result is the same. The software does not recognize the burn-2 hardware. The USB ports respond with a beep as if they know something is hooked up. I have tried this on 2 computers with 2 different available ports on each and the same TunerPro software and now Flash & Burn software and the software does not recognize the hardware. I also did this with a different cable.

If no other suggestions, then how does one go about getting an RMA to have the hardware checked under warranty? I am willing to order another and receive a credit after returning my unit if it is something I have done wrong.

Thanks again,

Terry
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Have you installed any new software or software/OS updates since you last successfully used the Burn2? Or tried updating the Burn2 firmware?
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

You probably need the FTDI USB device driver available here from Moates.
TerryLiv

Post by TerryLiv »

Thank you too,

I have done all the stuff requested. I performed the FT clean procedure and reloaded the driver. No help. Your suggestion actually produced a down level driver. My original one was 2.2.4.1. The auto install one for the Moates website was 2.0.0.1. However neither helped.

Is there a possibility that my Burn 2 is broken? It does provide the blue led with two short blinks, which I beleive is nromal.

My PC provides all the normal sounding beeps when connecting or disconnecting the Burn 2 to the USB cable.
ED-NY

Post by ED-NY »

Also new to reading/burning. It took me about (5) attempts just to load my avatar!!! :D

Well anyway just bought a Burn2 and installed the software on my ebook with Windows7 Starter and my garage PC with XP Home. By using the Moates Flash and Burn software both machines indicate that they can read my MEMCALs via HDR1 header. But the edit function tables are all zeros.

SO:

Just downloaded and installed TunerPro (free version) neither PC will even recognize the Burn2. It's there in Device Manager.

Not really knowing how I did it... I was able to download some bins (ie $8D.xdf, 8D MOD.xdf) and open them in the TunerPro window.

FYI: I am installing TPI in a couple of streetrods with basically stock 350 speed density setups. Have "one working" after market MEMCAL with VATS, EGR etc disabled.

Also have new blank proms and a G1 adapter .... "for now" would like to be able to burn a basic AUJP type bin with EGR, VATS, Evap etc disabled. Just copying my current MEMCAL would be fine for now.

Need to be confident at that level to begin with. I have no problem buying TunerPro RT (great price)...but I would like to see my Burn2 work in the TunerPro environment first.

Anyone else have a problem with the Burn2 not being recognized with the TunerPro software?

Thanks
Ed
(old rookie)
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Try clicking on the "initialize emulation hardware button." It in the tool bar, it looks like an old printer cable. For me it is just under the A of the word Acquisition, it may be in a slightly different location along the tool bar for you, depending on whether you or I (I don't recall) have customized what is displayed in the tool bar.

What you should see when you do this is at the bottom of the screen, next to the red box that says "Not Emulating" is the words BURN2, and the firmware version show up.

When you see this, press "ctrl+b" to open the Burn 'n' Flash interface.
ED-NY

Post by ED-NY »

Six_Shooter

Thanks for the response...looking at my current "basic" TunerPro screen..there is no Emulaton Toolbar, according to the Help section only TunerPro RT has the emulaton toolbar.

Ed
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I downloaded the "Free" version of Tuner Pro, and I can not see how to connect to the BURN2 with that version, if it is even possible.

If I were you, I'd download the RT version and use that. It's fully functional, there is just a 10 second nag window, that once you register it, the 10 second delay goes away.

You can also use the Flash 'n' Burn utility as a stand alone program.
You can find it on this page: http://tunerpro.net/downloadUtils.htm

--==EDIT==--
I just re-installed Tuner Pro Free V4 (I keep all the versions and builds I can LOL), and it doesn't seem to have a way to connect to the BURN2 either, so I would gather from this that the free version doesn't interface with any hardware directly.
ED-NY

Post by ED-NY »

Six_Shooter

Thanks again...didn't have time to mess with it today. You have me convinced that the RT version will work..I'll just buy the RT upgrade.

Imagine that I can use the same license on my portable and garage PC's?

Have installed a couple of speed density TPI units in streetrods with my own wiring harness's. Been buying programmed MEMCALs and would like to burn my own and help some of the local guys with proms (free as usual).

Ed
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Yes, you can use the same registration file on both computers. It's a file that you have Tuner Pro look at, when you get prompted for the registration file. You only have to do it once.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

another benefit is that the V5 license also applies to TP V4, should you use that often.