Quarterhorse Datalogging

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

One Drone

Quarterhorse Datalogging

Post by One Drone »

Hi everyone,

I have a V8 Ford Falcon with a Quarterhorse and I am using Tunerpro V5. I have a working modified bin and definition file.

I am now trying to get the datalog function to work and use the dashboard so I can make changes as I drive. My interface type is set to autoprom in settings. But other than that, I am not sure exactly how to go about setting up a dashboard and logging data.

For other vehicles, GM etc, you have a datastream which you can find for ALDL and based on that information you create a new ADX file and set up the dash accordingly.

Does anyone know how to go about setting this up on a Ford EECIV?

Cheers.
dex
The Ford Guy

QuarterHorse Datalogging Using TunerPro

Post by dex »

Under ‘commands’ in the ADX Editor you will need three basic commands to retrieve data from the vehicle through the QuarterHorse; request the data, receive the data and assign a macro to loop through the request/receive commands.

An example of requesting the data:

Title - Request 0x200->0x2FF
Unique ID - QHREQUEST2
Description - Request data from shadow RAM between 0x200 and 0x2FF
Byte String - 0x52 0x00 0x23 0x02 0x00
Checksum – None

Where the byte string means:

0x52 = ascii character 'R'
0x00 = number of bytes (0x00 means 256)
0x23 = mmsb of QH ram address to read
0x02 = msb of QH ram address to read
0x00 = lsb of QH ram address to read

The second byte (0x00) is the number of bytes to retrieve. 0xFF is 255, here we use 0x00 for 256. The QuarterHorse can only get 256 bytes at a time. The third, fourth, and fifth bytes are the MMSB, MSB, and LSB of the QuarterHorse RAM where the data lives. Note that, for QuarterHorse mode 4, the RAM is shadowed in 0x230000. So in order to retrieve 0x200->0x2FF of ECU RAM, we're requesting 0x230200->0x2302FF in QuarterHorse RAM.

An example of receiving the data:

Title - Get 0x200->0x2FF Reply
Unique ID – QHREPLY2
Description – Receive data from shadow RAM between 0x200 and 0x2FF
Header byte string - <blank>
Footer byte string - <blank>
Packet Type – Static Packet Size
Process Reply - <checked>
Timeout – 400
Payload Offset – 0
Body size – 256
Payload size - 256

An example of the loop macro to combine the request and reply commands:

Title - Monitor Macro
Unique ID – MONMACRO
Description - <blank>
Macro Repeat Count – 1
Command – “Request 0x200->0x2FF” then “Get 0x200->0x2FF Reply”
Entry parameters - <all blank>

The “Monitor Macro” is sent in the main monitor loop and you set it in the ADX Header Data under the "Monitor Command." The baud rate is set to 921600 in the ADX Header Data too.

You will next need to assign values for the parameters you want to datalog from within the packet. Under the ’Values’ in the ADX Editor set up the information about the item you want to datalog. The ‘Packet Offset’ determines the position of the data relative to the start of the packet; e.g. if you have ‘VSBAR’ (average speed) at address 0x250 then the packet offset would be 0x50. The ‘Command Association’ needs to be set to ‘Get 0x200->0x2FF Reply’.

Any values you add need to be added to the "Item List View" list for visualisation.

If you want to add values for data outside of the 0x200->0x2FF that is currently being retrieved, you'll need to add another pair of commands similar to the "Request" and "Get" commands but for the addresses required. Use the above examples as models and just change the address range in the request string. Then add the request and get commands to the existing monitor macro. New values that need info from that new address range should have their parent command set to the new "get" command.

You cannot datalog any data from in the cpu’s registers (0x00 to 0xFF in the eec-iv and 0x00 to 0x1FF in the 8065) and require a patch code that copies the pertinent data out into an address range that the QuarterHorse shadows.

Also, in preferences, set the interface type to "Moates Passthrough" and make sure the QH is attached and initialised before hitting the monitor button (two blue arrows pointing in opposite directions in the toolbar).

For linking, the proper way to link the ADX output to the XDF to trace in tables and what not is to make sure the datatype and units match. As an example, in the ADX set the RPM data type to "Engine Speed" and units to "Revolutions per Minute." Then, for any constant or axis in a table that represents RPM, set its data type and units to the same. From that point, when loading an XDF or ADX, TunerPro will automatically link the items. If a table has both axes defined, and you turn on data tracing (grid with red arrow pointing into it), TunerPro will trace the table with where the vehicle is currently running.
One Drone

Post by One Drone »

Thanks dex. Great information. I will update how I go. :P
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

No need to thank me, it's basically info Mark's gave me. It'll be good to hear how it goes.
b.shaw

Post by b.shaw »

One Drone, how are you making out?

Has anyone successfully set up V5 to datalog with the Quarterhorse yet?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

EXCELLENT write up, Dex! Thanks!

Please do keep us informed. I have done minimal testing on an actual vehicle (I have none available to me), but I have confirmed that it works in the most basic sense.

At this point what we need are definitions!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
not1337

Post by not1337 »

Has anyone made an .ADX for A9L/GUFB? Or any Ford EEC for that matter?
SVTFreak

Post by SVTFreak »

Hey guys. New here. Using Tunerpro on my 5.0 notch coupe. You can get the adx file for the latest V5 tunepro from here:

http://www.moates.net/zips/tprt_ford/

Craig (Moates) wrote the original for me, and this one works well too. Ive tested it. It also has the patch built in for a wideband connected through the EGR valve position pin. Was very plug and play if you follow Moates readme directions. All files to get it up and working with GUFB or CBAZA are here except the needed drivers, which are available in QH section of moates site.
MM Alexander

I'd like to add..

Post by MM Alexander »

Just to piggy back onto this ...
has anyone gotten all of the data parameters to work?
I ask because I can't get TPS, ACT, ECT, Drv KAMFR, Drv Inj pulse width, to read. I've tried a myriad of settings changes but so far no luck.
I'm using the CBAZA xda.

On a brighter note, I made a Dash board (actually made a few but only one I really like thus far)

Pretty functional (if I could get all the parameters to log :? )

If you'd like to use it I have it for download
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7a5ur1a3j ... k_cypt.adx
Mr. M. M. Alexander
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

SVTFreak wrote:Hey guys. New here. Using Tunerpro on my 5.0 notch coupe. You can get the adx file for the latest V5 tunepro from here:

Craig (Moates) wrote the original for me, and this one works well too. Ive tested it. It also has the patch built in for a wideband connected through the EGR valve position pin. Was very plug and play if you follow Moates readme directions. All files to get it up and working with GUFB or CBAZA are here except the needed drivers, which are available in QH section of moates site.
Very nice!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
DRKFISH

Post by DRKFISH »

I'm wondering why Tunerpro RT v5 freezes when I real time data log. It's strange cause the first time I used tuner pro it worked for about 3 or so minutes then froze. Now it works for about 2 seconds then freezes. Any clue why? It says there's 1 error but I don't know how to retrieve any error reports. I unplug the USB and the program works again. I have a 89 mustang 5.0 using quarterhorse. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I am new to this.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

DRKFISH wrote:I'm wondering why Tunerpro RT v5 freezes when I real time data log. It's strange cause the first time I used tuner pro it worked for about 3 or so minutes then froze. Now it works for about 2 seconds then freezes. Any clue why? It says there's 1 error but I don't know how to retrieve any error reports. I unplug the USB and the program works again. I have a 89 mustang 5.0 using quarterhorse. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I am new to this.
You might consider posting this as a new thread.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
GonPlad

Post by GonPlad »

MM Alexander-

I am having the same issues with the CBAZA adx file as I can not get even the RPM's to read. Some of the functions read but not all of the ones that I need. have you had any luck fixing this yet?
TurboStang94

New CBAZA Adx file - works!

Post by TurboStang94 »

Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently bought a QH and I am using TunerPro 5.0. I had the exact issue described in your posts when I installed the QH chip. Working with Dave and Craig at Moats Support I did some testing, gave it to them, and they were able to use the data to track down the issue in the ADX file for me. For any of you that are interested in using QH and TP 5.0 to datalogg shoot me a PM and I will send out the new ADX file.

- Cody
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Email the xdf to Mark, I'm sure he'd be pleased to put it onto the website :D
TurboStang94

Post by TurboStang94 »

Ok, here is the link to the updated file posted on Moates Website, I believe they updated the A9L file to correct the issue too.

FYI - If anyone is interested I am working with the ADX file, implementing several additions including real time MPG, Spark Source, HP/TQ and some other cool stuff. When I get it in a good solid state I can post it up if anyone is interested in checking it out.