Who Needs An ADS or ADX?

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I'm thinking about getting one of those PCMs for my test bench. Would that suffice for testing?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

mmm.... i would think you would need a CCM(and any other modules that might use the line) as well to truly imitate real-world conditions for the Y-bodies. otherwise, it might be too easy. :lol:
hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

mine is a f body but i would think the y body and any of the obd1 flash pcm would all be the same as far as issues. ive tried alot of stuff.
your typical innova obd1 can 1&2 code reader cant read these cars. thats what lead me to aldlcables usb cable and they send a nice lil starter cd.
datamaster worked great but not for codes. freescan is probably the simplest and easiest. efi live works somewhat and ive never been able to get either version 4 or 5 of tp to work tuner cat might have connected i dont remember but my trial expired. i really do like how this software is set up and how you guys are so into it. ill do whatever i can to help just tell me what you need me to do.
any chance of tuning my 92 ford(mazda) probe gt turbo with this software? you dont know how bad i hate hitting fuel cut when i spool up to 15psi,lol theres alot of guys on the probe forums and mx6 forums with stock turbo cars that would love this
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

there is some ford support out there, but i have no idea about any of it.

we actually did manage some progress today with the $EE stuff, but no idea when it will be updated.
hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

robertisaar wrote:there is some ford support out there, but i have no idea about any of it.

we actually did manage some progress today with the $EE stuff, but no idea when it will be updated.
from what i can tell the cable works fine and the program it self can make changes to my stock bin and with that i can probably make a modified bin and flash it to my pcm with some other software. but tp isnt capable of communicating with my pcm at all as far as i can tell.
does it matter what bin im using?
im using your xdf and adx but the bin is from a unverified source. im geussing the adx is the issue? the post how to i follow seemed like that guy had it working no problem. i loaded his modified adx with the gauges and they showed up but no data stream:(
tuner cat has two definitions for lt1 cars just so you know one is called $EE and the other is $EEb some cars use b but most dont, i believe mine might be the b
hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

i used winflash trial and read my pcm is this a $EE or $EEB?
cylinder volume=717.25

how do i post up the file in here?, i opened it in tp rt using the xdf ee
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

would need to know more about the file than just that....

i have an EEb XDF i found on the moates filemanager, but what does your volumetric efficiency table look like?
hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

robertisaar wrote:would need to know more about the file than just that....

i have an EEb XDF i found on the moates filemanager, but what does your volumetric efficiency table look like?
i just took pics and used photobucket, no clue how to share the screen otherwise

hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

this one says crank volumetric efficiancy vs %th vs rpm

i can just email you my bin i scanned from my pcm would that be easier? or can it be sent that way? or is there a way to load it on the site?
i compared my bin to a few others and it was the same as one from 94 but not the same as one from 95. i know im actually looking at my bin which is pretty amazing to me. so with winflash i can read and save my bin, then edit it with tuner pro as far as i can tell and then save it and flash it to my pcm with winflash. but as far as tuner pro goes i cant use it with the car:(
of course i dont know how to tune anything or what changes to make but its just amazing the possibilities .
anyways if i have the $EEB i geuss the xdf def will work but will display funny?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

those look like believable numbers... so you have the correct XDF. if you had the wrong one, you'd see a large step at the beginning or end of the tables.

also, for screenshots, you can press the "print screen" button on your keyboard and paste into any image editor.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

hoursetraitor wrote:any chance of tuning my 92 ford(mazda) probe gt turbo with this software? you dont know how bad i hate hitting fuel cut when i spool up to 15psi,lol theres alot of guys on the probe forums and mx6 forums with stock turbo cars that would love this
Lucky is a moderator and Ford guru over on
http://www.eagle-mark.com/Forums/viewforum.php?f=10
He has his own Ford section and could probably use the company.
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

robertisaar wrote:those look like believable numbers... so you have the correct XDF. if you had the wrong one, you'd see a large step at the beginning or end of the tables.

also, for screenshots, you can press the "print screen" button on your keyboard and paste into any image editor.
good to know... so if i want to make my trans sift sooner at wot do you have any advice? 5300 3-4 shift at wot seems and feels way too late and in my opinion its hard on these weak pos 4l60 trannys. i know its kinda complicated.
and why is my fan thing in celsius? and fan hysteria?? lol, whats that?

oh glennEFI i joined that forum about 2 days ago so ill check it out for sure. and while we are at it does anyone mess with the jeep 4.0HO say 91ish? i dont want more power i want better gas milage lol
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i wouldn't know anything specific about the 94-95 LT1 setup, but there should be at least a couple of values to change the shift points, and shift duration as well.

and fan temps being in *C can be converted to *F.
hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

robertisaar wrote:i wouldn't know anything specific about the 94-95 LT1 setup, but there should be at least a couple of values to change the shift points, and shift duration as well.
yep they say theres like 3 things to change or more
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

hoursetraitor wrote: oh glennEFI i joined that forum about 2 days ago so ill check it out for sure. and while we are at it does anyone mess with the jeep 4.0HO say 91ish? i dont want more power i want better gas milage lol
Yuo, saw you there!

Don't think the Jeep is a hackable ECM. There are some things you cann do for milage but just normal tricks...

But I do have a 4.0L HO head for my 258 Scout. Along with that change will be a 2006 MPFI Tuned Port Intake Jeep made for a couple years there at the end, 2006 was last year for the 4.0L six cylinder engine. I have already checked ohms and electrical on injectors and TPS. It will run on a GM ECM. But it will be a ways off before I have time to put this together with a GM ECM. After that any Jeep owner could remove his Jeep ECM and rewire to GM ECM and have a tunable unit.
1990 Chevy Suburban

hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

GlennEFI wrote:
hoursetraitor wrote: oh glennEFI i joined that forum about 2 days ago so ill check it out for sure. and while we are at it does anyone mess with the jeep 4.0HO say 91ish? i dont want more power i want better gas milage lol
Yuo, saw you there!

Don't think the Jeep is a hackable ECM. There are some things you cann do for milage but just normal tricks...

But I do have a 4.0L HO head for my 258 Scout. Along with that change will be a 2006 MPFI Tuned Port Intake Jeep made for a couple years there at the end, 2006 was last year for the 4.0L six cylinder engine. I have already checked ohms and electrical on injectors and TPS. It will run on a GM ECM. But it will be a ways off before I have time to put this together with a GM ECM. After that any Jeep owner could remove his Jeep ECM and rewire to GM ECM and have a tunable unit.
yeah some of the early cherokees mid sizes were gm, gm 2.8l v6 biggest crap motor ever. alot of ac delco stuff on jeeps and motorcraft for that matter too. they used whatever. yeah my 91 xj isnt scanner friendly. you need a modis or brick to scan it. mega squirt is pretty appealing for my turbo car. but right now i lost my job as a tech so im just doing side work and who knows when ill have money for all these damn projects and somethings wrong with my camaro which is what started all this.
high knock count, rev to 5k knock count goes up 100 or more 10-15mpg around town, feels like it has a hesitation or flat spot, will bog sometimes when i get on it now. brand new opti and water pump last month. im down to the following, failing fuel pump, plugged cat, bad knock sensor, failing coil or ignition control module. maybe the maf or map but i really dont know what the number should be when viewing live data, so thru it all i think i figured out how to tune my car but not what to change. i love this stuff
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

and here's where i say "stay on topic".

if you need something other than a GM OBD1 ADS/ADX built, please make a seperate thread.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

robertisaar wrote:and here's where i say "stay on topic".

if you need something other than a GM OBD1 ADS/ADX built, please make a seperate thread.
Sorry... :oops:
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

hoursetraitor wrote:yeah some of the early cherokees mid sizes were gm, gm 2.8l v6 biggest crap motor ever.
Image There are MUCH worse engines out there. Granted it is was a bit underpowered, but made plenty of torque for the displacement and reliable as they get. I tried to blow my '85 2.8 up with over 277,000 KMs, and just wouldn't let go.
There's also a LOT that can be done to them using all stock parts from other generations and some other engines to really wake them up.

Anyway, back on topic...

Are there still ADXs that need to be created? I thought Saar would have had them all made by now with the amount he's made. :o LOL

Haw many have you made now?

To do a screen capture, press the "Prt Scr" or what ever is on your "Print Screen" button, usually in the top right side of the keyboard, open up paint, then either use the "paste" option in the drop down menu, or ctrl+v to paste the screen capture into the working area, where you can reduce the size, crop it, etc. Then upload and share just like you did with the pictures you did. :)
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i've made a LOT... but there are still plenty to go.

current statistics show that i have sent 175 streams to Mark, and from my numbers, i have a little less than 100 left.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

robertisaar wrote:i've made a LOT... but there are still plenty to go.

current statistics show that i have sent 175 streams to Mark, and from my numbers, i have a little less than 100 left.
If you are talking of me Mark I have received 212 I believe. But that includes .ads .adx and .xdf defs.

EDIT: Question? The ads with names like A106.ads is obiously named differantly then say 42.ads obiuosly named after their bin file mask. Were these scantool data type information to start?
1990 Chevy Suburban

robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

MM not MY. :lol:

i also believe i've sent you ADX files as well, i'm counting just ADS for that total.

A106 is a GM internal reference to a specific stream, not the mask IDs that lots of people have used to identify them.

since some streams apply to multiple masks, i decided to go by the GM numbering system with a list of vehicles it should apply to.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Well you have done a fine job providing us with useful def files and a personal thanks to you! :D

TunerPro has provided me with lots of fun as a gear head! :D
1990 Chevy Suburban

hoursetraitor

Post by hoursetraitor »

i still want to get this to work with my camaro. i dont feel like giving tunercat money and i like this program better anyways. i geuss it could be my cable its from aldlcables.com its the usb one. theres no weird converter it just has a usb...somplace theres a chip embeded i dont know what it is, max? cable shows as functional and working when i test it. sorry for getting off topic complaining about 2.8 intake coolant leaks:P
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i had the ALDLcables.com version for a while.... then it started acting flakey, and i cut it up to make my own table. their cable is indeed a 2-transistor setup, which doesn't work well with all laptops.

the 94-95 LT1 stuff is constantly being played with, and we made progress recently in another thread, just need to send out ADX files for testing to people with known good cables.

that will cover datalogging at least, tune upload/download may never happen for all we know. there are other programs out there that do it though.
BackyardWrench

Post by BackyardWrench »

Newbie here...I would like an ADS for a '95 Olds Cutlass Ciera, 3.1L, w/ MAF, L82, A-body. I tried using the $1FA.ads and was able to connect, but all I got were a bunch of erroneously changing readings.

I did some searching and found "IsaacHayes" saying this to someone else with the same car on the 60degree forum..."The 1FA def for tunerpro is not the right one for your car. it's a bit miss-labeled and works on all the 3100's that have no MAF and are flash based. On the other non-maf cars you send a disable coms command, the ECM shuts up, then you send a connect command."
Thanks
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

that's an old post, Isaac hasn't been on 60V6 much lately if at all...

http://www.tunerpro.net/gmOBDI.htm

what you need is the A263 file, which i haven't uploaded to Mark yet, but i do have finished.

http://www.wikifortio.com/780398/A263.ads

for now, this file will be here for the next week or so, then it will be deleted. i should be able to send the next batch of them to Mark aroud that time as well.
BackyardWrench

Post by BackyardWrench »

WOW Robert, Thanks for the quick reply and file. I'm headed out right now to the car and check it out.
BackyardWrench

Post by BackyardWrench »

Bummer, same thing happens. I can get data acquisition working but with KOEO or KOER the values are just jumping around like crazy, ie. sitting still vehicle speed readings jump all over the place as do all the other values.

I'm using an ALDL to USB cable from ALDLcable.com and TunerPro RT v5.00.7575.00. All I really want to do is read codes and check sensor data.

BTW I learned about TunerPro from you over on W-Body as I also have a '95 Cutlass Supreme that right now has a shredded Reverse Reaction Drum in the tranny. Be prepared as I'll probably hit you up with questions when I start to re-build the 4t60E...LOL.
Thanks
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

are you using V4 or V5 for this? if you're getting crazy values in V4, the problem is likely the cable itself, since i made that specific definiton for another W-Body member and he hasn't had any trouble with it.... then again, he's running a MAX232 cable that i made, not the flaky 2-transistor setup that the ALDLcable version is made from.

V5, could also be the cable, but datastream collision is also a likely possibility.
BackyardWrench

Post by BackyardWrench »

I'm using V5....I'm going to download V4 and try it. Thanks
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if you get relatively consistent values with V4, i'll have to write-up a how-to for accounting for the checksum at the end of the stream, since i believe that is what is causing the issue for most people.
BackyardWrench

Post by BackyardWrench »

V4 worked!!!!! Thanks for the help!!!
bear8ruf

Post by bear8ruf »

Can you make an adx for the OBD1 Saturns from the info at this link?

http://www.saturnwiki.net/index.php/Data_Stream
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i'm sure i could..... monday morning project. too bad GM never officially released the full stream... i've seen references to it, but no file.

just ADS or ADX as well?
bear8ruf

Post by bear8ruf »

I'm new to this. I have the latest version of TP, so I assume I want the ADX?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i'll just make it as an ADS and import to ADX, shouldn't take too long.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

here's a quick version, try it out and see if there are any serious problems with it. assuming it works well, i'll fill in the rest of the info and maybe some of the interesting mode4 commands.

http://www.wikifortio.com/698519/saturntest1.adx
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

Looking for xdf and adx for for a 7730. It is in a v6 race car. I've tried every xdf on the site and all I see are zeros when I check the tables. Need help. Car was tuned somewhere else previously. Possibly $A1?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if all you see are 0s, i'd venture a guess and say you don't have a BIN loaded. or at least not the correct one for your XDF.

a 7730 can run a LOT of different masks. you'll need to pull the BIN you have running now(if it seems to work ok) and then identify it, or just start over with a known-working and identified BIN.

what vehicle?
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

First time using tunerpro. I work on mostly obdII vehicles. I read the hex from the moates burn 2 saved it and pulled it up in tuner pro. The vehicle is a beretta. He said the computer is out of an 89 2.8 stock prom was arut
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ARUT is A1.

press Ctrl + H to bring up the hex editor and take a screenshot. upload it to wherever (imgur works well) and then post the link.
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

00000000 FF There's my problem. What am I missing
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i couldn't say from that alone...

is it all 00s? or all FFs?
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

exactly as I typed nothing else
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

your BIN is only 5 bytes in size?
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

0 bytes
I'm going to tools / moates i/o read/ save buffer to file then select bin
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

It won't even load a 4cyl prom that i just checked in tunercat
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

assuming you selected the correct chip, then "read chip" and then "save buffer to file" should be all that's necessary....

do a read, then hit "edit buffer", see what comes up.
mod11hemi

Post by mod11hemi »

That brings up the whole load