Problems Emulating and Datalogging

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Rally Smith

Problems Emulating and Datalogging

Post by Rally Smith »

O.k, I've tried data logging and emulating together for the last week or so.

My data logs do not show all the information coming in. And when I am emulating I have making changes to my Initial Spark Advance and see and feel no changes in the truck.

When I upload a bin to the Auto Prom my truck gives me a Check Engine light and also idles to high. After I take the Auto Prom off and reinstall the stock chip to drive my truck to work I still get the Check Engine light coming on and not running the way it should. It doesn't take off when I hit the gas, it just kind of slowly starts moving. I disconnected the battery neg. for a bit and then when I hooked it back up it ran correctly again.

Any idea's, suggestions for me to try would be great.

I also took out Tuner Pro RT and all files associated with it. I then reinstalled the program and downloaded the correct files again.

I have not tried anything with it yet again since. I will be plugging it in and trying to data log while emulating again tonight.

Any suggestions or input before then would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

it starts to run horribly because of the checksum, it kicks into limp-home mode.... disable it in the tune, and that problem won't come up....

it may fix your advance issues as well...
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Don't mean to sound like a moron, but where would I find it at?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

you can either disable it in the constants by changing your mask ID to AA or you can do it through the tools-preferences menu, click on ALDL/Emulation and then in the bottom right corner, punch in the necessary info...
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Great, thank you. Any other ideas about the data log not streaming all of the info?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Rally Smith wrote:Great, thank you. Any other ideas about the data log not streaming all of the info?
Incomplete ADS (ALDL Definition File)?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Well Mark I am using the one 0D.ads file on here. I wouldn't think that there is something wrong with it....I guess you never know though.
Any thoughts?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

If it's in limp home mode, you won't get any ALDL data at all. Are you getting any valid ALDL data?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Well I managed to get it out of limp mode Friday night. I haven't messed with it since. I'm going to attempt another log....tomorrow night. Kids have a open house at school tonight. I am going to make another copy of the .ads file and use it, in case I did something wrong with the first one.

Mark, what would cause the emulator to not work when the truck is not in limp mode? Is there a parameter that I could change temporarily to see/feel a change in the engine to know that the emulator is working?
Did you get my email from friday night?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

What does it mean to "not work?"

Yes, I got your email. You were vague in details regarding the actual symptoms, and I figure helping you here helps everyone.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

When I say the emulator does not work. I mean I can make changes to the Initial Spark Advance while the truck is running, the emulator says that it was updated but the engine doesn't run any different. Wouldn't making a change to that make the truck idle different?

Also, how does my truck start and run without the auto prom plugged in?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Rally Smith wrote:When I say the emulator does not work. I mean I can make changes to the Initial Spark Advance while the truck is running, the emulator says that it was updated but the engine doesn't run any different. Wouldn't making a change to that make the truck idle different?

Also, how does my truck start and run without the auto prom plugged in?
Yeah, not every change will be noticeable. Try changing the idle tables or PROM ID to veirfy functionality (watch for the prom id to change in the ALDL output). I prescribe more reading for you! =)

The AutoProm must remain plugged into the ECM in order for your truck to run. It does not need to be plugged into the PC. The memory is flash-based.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

I know I have to read more, but sometimes it's difficult to find answers to what I'm having problems with. I'll keep plugging away. Friday night was one of those nights where I was seeing RED! I'm sure several people have had those. I'll take a look at changing the idle tables to see how it's effected. That would be the Main Spark Table (closed throttle) correct?

I understand that the truck should not run without the Auto Prom installed but mine does. Granted it runs like crap but it starts and idles. The empty socket on the chip should be bypassing the stock program, which means without a chip or cable emulating to the truck it should not run. Right?

Thanks for your help Mark.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The truck should run in limp home mode with the autoprom missing. in other words, the autoprom side of the emulation header should be plugged into the autoprom and the ECM side of the emulation header should be plugged into the ECM's chip socket. A valid bin should already be uploaded to the autoprom. At that point, the truck should run off of the autoprom with or without the PC physically connected to the autoprom.

No autoprom, misconfigured autoprom, or invalid bin = limp home mode.

And no, by idle table i mean idle speed vs. coolant temp.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

PS - take craig up on his offer to walk you through this stuff over the phone/virtual PC.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

O.k. thanks. Yes, I plan on taking him up on his offer. Just waiting on him to get back to me. Mark, thanks for the info. I appreciate it and your patience to help me more than you know. I look forward to getting this stuff operational.

Rick
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

O.k. I loaded the BJYM OD Bin file, Advanced $0Dv175 XDF file and the v30$0D_A217 ads file. Hooked up everything to my truck. Loaded the file to the APU1 and verified. Went to tools and made sure that the ALDL setup was reading the ads file. I brought up the Dash View. Turned the truck to on (not run). Hit the data log icon. Everything was working perfectly! I hit emulate and pulled up the Show Items List. Went under Engine Running RPM field. It showed 400 RPM. I changed it to 800 RPM. It successfully updated and nothing changed. I put it back to 400 RPM. I changed a couple of other things and updated with the same result. I changed them all back to the previous settings. I turned the truck off and turned the computer off. I left the APU1 hooked up so that it would run off of the bin that I had loaded to it. I started it up and the SES light was blinking super fast where I could barely see it. I went to drive it on the APU1 and it was indeed in Limp Mode again. What in the name of everything holy am I doing wrong here?
I'm doing everything that the literature and the forums are telling me to do and I am getting no love from the program or my truck.
Is it possible that my APU1 is defective? Cable? Chip adapter?

Urg.....
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

"Engine Running RPM" is very likely the item that controls the threshold below which the ECM no longer considers the engine running. Changing it won't provide much for you to watch.

Sounds like ALDL is running, though.

I don't think the AutoProm is at fault here.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

Mangus wrote:"Engine Running RPM" is very likely the item that controls the threshold below which the ECM no longer considers the engine running.
i thought the same thing....

messing with the VE tables should provide a VERY noticeable change if you decide to start adding/subtracting fuel 5-10% at a time.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Or, again, find the idle tables, start the truck, let it idle, look at the coolant temp in the ALDL output, and change the idle value for the corresponding coolant temp.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
honken

Post by honken »

Its the Target Idle vs Coolant Temp (P/N) if your in park.

If you have change somthing in the bin you need to save before you stop or its wrong checksum when you restart the engine (limpmode).

If i remember right i hade the same problem with the ostrich.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Robert already mentioned how to disable the checksum. Start there.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

So I'll change the checksum to 00. Then I will change the idle vs. coolant temp while in park and see where that gets me.

But if the ALDL is running then hypothetically the truck should run (not in Limp Mode) with the APU1 plugged into the ECM, correct?
I mean if everything matches and is verified via the emulation checks that are loaded onto the Auto Prom, the truck should then run off of that...??

Lets for arguments sake say that after I get home tonight and get everything plugged back in and the aldl is working like it was the first time last night. I then make the check sum change to 00 and adjust the idle vs. coolant temp, and it does not emulate. What then?
Last edited by Rally Smith on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

To disable the checksum, set the mask ID to 0xAA. Changing the checksum itself will do nothing for you.

Yes, if you're seeing valid ALDL data, then your truck is not in limp home mode.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

O.k. I followed the same hookup as I did last time.
This time I updated the Checksum to OxAA.

I went to the Idle Speed vs. Temperature (P/N, A/C Off) and made some adjustments and updated.

Saved Bin as: XXXXX

Turned truck off and disconnected all wires from APU1 to ALDL and Computer. Kept APU1 connected to ECM. Started truck, it idles and no SES light!

I think I have got this part down now.

**I also have a LC-1 wide band O2 sensor.

When I have the Auto Prom attached I know where the wires go but where does the narrow band wires go when I burn my chip and install it in place of the autoprom? When should I attach it too? Should I worry about tweaking a few other things and get more acquainted with the program before I hook it up?

Thanks

Rick