Things to help new users

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

JP86SS

Things to help new users

Post by JP86SS »

Been having loads of fun with this, I have made some notes on things to help when making definitions and such. If I state something incorrect, please let me know and I'll edit it in correctly.
I don't want to fill this thread with "Things don't work" issues, just helpful hints from users to make configuring and using it easier. TIA

1.) Item offsets
The count starts from the first item in the data list.
Do not include the response from the ECM as part of the count.
The item counts as 1 offset no matter if it is 16 bit or 8 bit.
This is not necessarily the "Item number" in the hacs.
EX: $8D had PROM ID 1, PROM ID 2 (Both 16 bit values)
Item #3 in the hac is actaully offset 02 in the definition.
Item #4 in the hac is actually offset 03
etc...

Not sure why "Prom ID" has offset of "FFFFFFFF". Could be by design as a reference point or to indicate that this is a double 16 bit value.
What ever the reason, it is counted as 01.

2.) Bit Mask
Bitmasks on items are values 01, 02 ,04, & 08 for bits 0, 1, 2 ,3
Bitmasks on items are values 10, 20 ,40, & 80 for bits 4, 5, 6 ,7

3.) Dasboard Items
Gauges in the dashboard display:
TOP = 0, Bottom = 100, Left = 0, Right = 100
Using ranges in the "values" list will make gauges display in nice increments. This does not effect the calculated value, just the range of display.
Digital indicators are best with a Minimum span of 11 in height setting.

4.) Histograms
Histogram gives nice divisions with 27 rows for RPM at 6500 max, 11 is good for MAP in kPa to 100, etc.

5.) Colors for Monitors
The monitors must be added manually at this point to get more than the default 2. To add another one,
Increment the "Item count" at the top of the file and then copy one of the existing ones below it. (Watch the syntax to be sure you get it all there)
Change the names to something unique or a crash will occur.
Save your file.
Go back to ScannerPro, reload your file and configure the "display list" to obtain the color you want on the first item in the list.
Save the definition and reopen the file in a txt editor.
Locate the color code (000000 = black) from the display list section and paste it into the line on the Monitor definition in place of the default color code that was assigned. You'll have to do some back and forth work to locate the correct item lines by the "ID" number but its worth it at this point.

I'm sure Mark has plans for the Monitors section (and others) that are just not implemented yet. This will help enable you to make chanes in the meantime.
HTH
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Regarding #1) I'm not sure what you mean by Prom ID having an offset of 0xFFFFFFF. It should definitely be 0. Offsets are 0-based, by the way.

Regarding monitors, you are correct, and I meant to post something on that. Currently monitors need to be added by hand. I will add a monitor editor to the ADX editor soon.

COLOR FORMAT:

Hex number, RRGGBBXX

Where RR == red channel 0 - FF, GG == green channel 0-FF, and BB == blue channel 0-FF.
Examples:
0x00000000 == black (all channels down)
0xFF000000 == pure red (red channel is max, everything else is min)
0x00FF0000 == pure green
0x0000FF00 == pure blue
0xC0C0C00 == gray

Most paint programs give you an HTML hex number for color. You can use that directly in ScannerPro ADX files.
Wow, thanks for the great post! I'll add some other pointers here as I have time.

Now that I'm back in town, I'll hunt down some of the crashing bugs you guys have reported.

Thanks again and please keep it up!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am