creating dash boards

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Sil

creating dash boards

Post by Sil »

someone had asked me in pm how to create a dash and i thought i would share here as well for everyone to use

youll need to go to the editor...
goto menu tab > file > edit definition (or press CTRL + F2, its shortcut)

then expand the dashboard tree, and click on your dashboard (default is "main dash"

you can see there are 2 buttons to the right "add gauge" and "remove gauge"

click add gauge once and it will throw a new one into the lil box below that sorta looks like an excel spreadsheet...
click on the new one that popped in there.
it allways puts new ones at the bottom of the list.
you can now change the gauge type, and enter the desired gauge location specs

if you look below you will see 2 buttons, "delete" and "add new item"
this will add to your dashboard list and you may create multiple dash boards if you want

think of the dimensions as say millimeters.
and one is top (from the top) this would be adjusting the top of the gauge.
the other is bottom (still from the top) this would be adjusting the bottom of the gauge.
and the other is left side(from the left) adjusting the left side of gauge.
right side (from the left) adjusting the right side of the gauge.
you dont want them to overlap

so lets say you want a gauge up in the left corner you would go

0, 0, 50, 50
example 0 mm top, 0 left, 50 bottom, 50 right

so you can tell its going to be 50 wide and 50 high

put one beside that, what do you do....

0 top, 50 left,50 bottom, 100 right

see the pattern here?
put one below the first.......

50 top, 0 left, 100 bottom, 50 right

ok so we have added a couple gauges and now we want to check them out but there are a couple things left to do

enter a unique ID
and the item title

save your progress before you close anything

make sense ? :shock:
ok good :P

lets have alook at the dashboard we created :lol:

you should now be in the main area of scanner pro
select the Dashboard Tab on the bottom of scanner pro
and select the dash you have created in the pul-down menu up top

hope it helps just play with putting one on the dash and play with that, make it bigger, wider longer move it around, before making gauge #2, then when you are ready for the 2nd gauge, play with the 2nd, adjusting both thier sizes side by side, move one gauge to the side of the other, move it below the other, this will teach you what the numbers mean and in no time youll be making full blow dashes for yourself

to add a value to the dash you right click and choose from the list that pops up. now if you started making a .adx definition from scratch you will need to add some values and bit masks, but if you imported then they should already be there. also note that you most likely wont have the same values show in this picture (i made this from scratch)

you can play with the min max values in the properites of the value, to change the values that you see on the gauge. (ie.. MPH from min0 to max 200 or 220) whatever you want

you can change the min max values on the alarm in the properites of the value to get a redline , or brown line indicating your desired min and max(ie.. voltage can have brown from 0 to 11 and have a red from 14 to 16 if you adjsut the valaues in value properties (under values and bitmasks) and if you have set min to 0 and max to 16
you can make min 11 and max 16 if you wish

now you should always be in the habit of saving after making any changes, you dont want to lose your work, if you rputer crashes or the power goes out ect.. ect..

so before you go and close do a save as and save your definition to a safe place on your computer

you can now experiment with added digital gauges and status flags.
status flags are used for adding "bit masks" ie..(error codes or sensor state/status)

thats all folks
Last edited by Sil on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Thanks!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Sil

Post by Sil »

np, ill prolly clear it up a bit, and add pictures so its less confusing.
but that might be a lil while
Sil

Post by Sil »

ok added pictures n stuff :D
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Stickied! Most excellent, thanks Sil!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Sil

Post by Sil »

woot my first sticky worthy post evar
glad to help out, and thanks for sticky
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, so I'm trying to create an adx for a 7747.

I have two gauges (I'm just trying to get the basics of this before going too far with it), and when I right click on the gauges, I get the box that says "values" in it with the right pointing triangle, but no drop down menu from that to actually select the value.

Any ideas? Bug maybe? Do I need to down load something I missed?

*edit*

I'm getting the hang of adding, moving and re-sizing the gauges, VERY cool!

Is the reason for no values due to nothing in the item lists?

Ok, I believe I have found why, and makes complete sense, in that there is nothing in my values table to look up, and asign to a gauge.

I'll go back to working on this and learning now. :D

*edit2*
I now have assigned one guage to engine RPM, I doubt the settings are correct to actually monitor this as I just copied values from the $EE def file that is available, just to see if I could get this to show values and assign them.

I guess I now have to figure out exactly how to determine where in the code or datastream this would be to assign proper values.