Are there still connection problems with '90,'91 corvettes?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

C4vettonator

Are there still connection problems with '90,'91 corvettes?

Post by C4vettonator »

I'm doing a little research before I buy or try anything. The engine listed in my signatue will soon be going into my currently stock '91 corvette as soon as I decide what to do about engine management. I've noticed e few threads on this forum as well as on some other forums about problems people have had with real time emulation and data logging on '90 and '91 corvettes, but most of the threads are old and there isn't much info.
Have the problems with the '90 and '91 corvettes been worked out yet?
Even if there are still problems, I would still greatly appreciate ANY info on the subject of '91 corvettes as I would like to know what I am getting myself into before I do anything.
'91 Corvette, 406 sb, 6"rods, 10.3-1 comp, 248/254@.050, .576/.572 solid roller Comp cam, 235cc ProTopline Aluminum Lightning heads, Weind Team G tunnel ram modified for multi port fuel injection, original '7727 ecm (if I can successfully tune it)
91vette

Post by 91vette »

Hello, It has been a while since I've either visited this site or tried to do tuning with my Autoprom/TunerPro RT setup. I dusted off the vette and Autoprom last weekend and tried another go at it. The 1991 vette provides some challenges when using this setup. The first issue was that ALDL data could not be logged because the dash cluster was using the datastream from the ECM. I was able to get around this by pulling the fuse labled "cluster" (clstr, 5 amp). This disables the dash, meaning you do not have tach, oil pressure, coolant temp, etc. So, I would only recommend doing this once you are sure the engine is broken in and oil pressure and temperatures are stable.

The other issue I have, that I would also like some help on, could be cause by the location of the ECM. In the vette, the 727 ECM is under the hood. So I use a short ribbon cable for emulation with the Autoprom velcroed onto the outside of the windshield. Then I need a long USB cable to reach my laptop on the passenger seat. In the car, after 5 or 10 minutes of emulating, I get "upload failed" and cannot recover. If I try pressing the "auto detect hardware" button, TunerPro RT locks up and I have to do a hard reboot. (Task manager will not end the program, and I have to pull the battery on my laptop!!)

The autoprom and tunerpro work flawlessly together on the kitchen table, with no ECM connected... the recommendation I read says to get a better USB cable, so i'll try that and see what that gets me.

When everything works, the setup is pretty sweet. I have a second application logging lambda (air/fuel) which is a key part of quick tuning.

-Justin