Newbie - help?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

BackInBlack

Newbie - help?

Post by BackInBlack »

Hi!, I'm a newbie and I'm trying to get a little more educated on tuning. It's easy/safer and most likely better to get a pro to tune my car but I'm one of those that wants to learn and do it not so much to save money but for the pure fun of it. Hopefully I won't screw up too bad.

I have a 94Z, only mods to engine are elec water pump and 160 t-stat. I'd like to start making some minor tune changes and learn some more to get into more mods.

The first mods I want to do are, changing the cooling fans on/off temp, trim the fuel back a little and advance timing by a degree or two.
I have the ALDL/USB cables for ODB1, my question is, is TunerPro the software that reads and writes data to my ecm? also, is it really that simple to change settings like cooling fan on/off temp? also, where are the user manuals and is there suggested settings changes table somewhere?

Also is the "bin" file the same as the "definition" file?
what files do I need for a 94Z LT1?

thanks,
jc
94 Z stock, need to make mods.
not speeding, I'm qualifying,
not tailgating, I'm drafting...
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro is used to edit the bin. The bin is the actual "operating system," and the definition is what TUnerPro uses to decipher the operating system. They are two different things.

To read and write to the PCM in your vehicle, you'll want to purchase Winflash from TunerCat (www.tunercat.com).

Read all the stickies in this forum. Twice.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/

-M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am