Bosch Motronic red label 402 DME(need help getting started!)

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Matich

Bosch Motronic red label 402 DME(need help getting started!)

Post by Matich »

Hi everyone!

I have been searching around trying to find the proper XDF's and BIN's for my red label 402 DME, the only 402 files I found on the TunerPro downloads page are for a 402 silver label DME?

I'm know that the 403/405 is cross platform however the 402 is not. Could anyone please PM me the correct files to get started or should I swap the DME to another version? (it was out of a 92 325i however theres a possibility it could be swapped)

P.s Has anyone here tinkered with the non-vanos hotwire maf? People have suggested installing it in a larger diameter tube to shift the point in where it reads, although this gives rough idling down at low rpm, could this be something that a tune could fix or will the ecu always fight to correct values in these circumstances?
Matich

Post by Matich »

Recently found out that a m51 e36 325 tds maf is a 6pin hotwire maf also, I wonder if it could be rewired to run on an m50b25?
Evil

Post by Evil »

With good knowledge of how tables and headers works in motronic, you can easily found all you need from all the infos here on 403 and 413 😉
Why do you want a bigger maf? It can be useful for turbo or supercharger applications, but in naturally aspirated, maf is not a limiting factor with original cams and throttle body
Matich

Post by Matich »

I'm only starting so my knowledge about these DME's is very very limited, that being said I thought the best place to start would be with the correct files :?:

I want to find a work around for the MAF as the car is being turbo'd and many threads I have read about the old hot-wire MAF on the non-vanos engines reaches it's limit very early (5psi), Although still tune able, I would be silly to even attempt blind tuning hahah

I would like to try keep the stock management if possible, my last resort will ultimately be full standalone.
Evil

Post by Evil »

The bin and XDF you can find in the download section will work with your 402 I think. For my 403 there is 2 different soft numbers and they worked both on mine. There can be some minor differences but anyway both are OK to start with (I think there is one version for 3-Series and another for 5-Series).

You can also find some more stuff very quickly by searching on this forum.

For a bigger MAF you can look at M3 ones or V8, and copy the MAF transfer function on the corresponding bin. This is the simplest solution IMO for low boost application.
Matich

Post by Matich »

Do you recommend keeping the same MAF and editing the transfer function? or is this with a new hotwire maf and using the M3/v8 transfer function?

I have found a pdf here on the 402 dme which is awesome so been reading through!

P.S How do I find out the software number of my DME?
Evil

Post by Evil »

Bigger maf with corresponding transfer fonction.

Soft number ls written on the chip I think. You can also find this number in the end of your Bin, using the ASCII column of the hex editor