Noob questions, BMW EWS delete

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

gearheadcurt

Noob questions, BMW EWS delete

Post by gearheadcurt »

Hey everyone, I'm completely new to tuning and I found this software via the interwebs.
My first question would be can I delete the various EWS types with this software? type 1 and type 2
I mainly deal with m50/m52 engines, and I'm getting sick of waiting for a tuner to get back to me with a remap, and ews delete. I either have to send it off or buy a dme from them.

If someone is willing to throw the new guy a bone and confirm this I'm definitely going to throw the Dev some money to support his endeavors.

Also the cars I'm hacking together are:
S52 e30 touring streetcar
M52 e30 touring drift car
and various other e36's I have laying about.

Thank you
Hairyscreech

Post by Hairyscreech »

All OBD2 ECUs that use onboard flash memory need to be flashed in situ or bench flashed, provided you have the tools to do this then you can edit these ECUs.
I believe Romraider may be more useful for the Siemens MS4xx ECUs, it certainly seems to be what they use more on the M52 Z3s.

For OBD1 ROM chip based ECUs (Bosch, M50 and back) then this is probably the best of the low cost tuning software. Everything else is quite closed source and people seem unwilling to let any info out which can make things hard if you have a less supported platform.

E36 wise we are pushing for better understanding of the M3.3 and M3.3.1 ECUs at the moment, we think EWS on the OBD1 is solved now by ether a bit swap on the EWS code or moving the EWS maps to a compatible non-EWS code base.

Fpr OBD1 you will need to get setup with a ROM emulator and chip burner. Moates do both and seem to be the standard goto equipment.

If you only deal with M52 stuff then they are all OBD2, you can obviously step back to the OBD1 ECU for those engines provided you use the right sensors with them, however Silver and Red label 413 ECUs are not so common.

Given your choice of cars I assume you are UK based?
Is the drift car for the Drift Cup?
gearheadcurt

Post by gearheadcurt »

Hairyscreech wrote:All OBD2 ECUs that use onboard flash memory need to be flashed in situ or bench flashed, provided you have the tools to do this then you can edit these ECUs.
I believe Romraider may be more useful for the Siemens MS4xx ECUs, it certainly seems to be what they use more on the M52 Z3s.

For OBD1 ROM chip based ECUs (Bosch, M50 and back) then this is probably the best of the low cost tuning software. Everything else is quite closed source and people seem unwilling to let any info out which can make things hard if you have a less supported platform.

E36 wise we are pushing for better understanding of the M3.3 and M3.3.1 ECUs at the moment, we think EWS on the OBD1 is solved now by ether a bit swap on the EWS code or moving the EWS maps to a compatible non-EWS code base.

Fpr OBD1 you will need to get setup with a ROM emulator and chip burner. Moates do both and seem to be the standard goto equipment.

If you only deal with M52 stuff then they are all OBD2, you can obviously step back to the OBD1 ECU for those engines provided you use the right sensors with them, however Silver and Red label 413 ECUs are not so common.

Given your choice of cars I assume you are UK based?
Is the drift car for the Drift Cup?
Thanks for the info, I've also been on the romraiders forum checking them out.
Nah its not for the drift cup, I'm no where near that level, I am in the UK at the moment, for the next 3 years, but I'm American.
Funny you should say that, I've noticed e36's are very popular over here.

I will be dealing with m52's and a s52 mainly, and I want to keep the obd2 for the tuneablitiy.
Hairyscreech

Post by Hairyscreech »

Fair enough, your right the E36 does seem to be the one that dominates the drift cup at the moment.

They are also plentiful and cheap in 323,325 and 328 form. (we are also not ones to tolerate an auto box).

A friend of mine runs a boosted E30 in the drift cup, it has proven to be a challenge getting competitive with the E36M3s, personally i think it is down to the rear end, the E36 suspension can just be setup better and maintains better geometry than the E30 can.

Is the S52 not a US M3 engine? Are the S52 engines the OBD2 ECU and the US S50 OBD1? As the US M3 uses the 413/506 OBD1 ECU I have been working with.
The Euro S50 is a different beast all together with the B30 and OBD1+expansion board and the B32 a unique ECU.

I can understand keeping the OBD2 for the sake of the feedback available. The data from the OBD1 ECU is very limited, I have been considering trying to put together a data logger to make tuning mine easier.
hotdish

Post by hotdish »

Hairyscreech wrote:Is the S52 not a US M3 engine? Are the S52 engines the OBD2 ECU and the US S50 OBD1? As the US M3 uses the 413/506 OBD1 ECU I have been working with.
The S52 is in the 96+ US M3 and is OBD2 using the MS41.2 ECU I believe. All earlier S50US M3s are 95 model year.