Error when using bad bin file

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

gnatshop

Error when using bad bin file

Post by gnatshop »

Re: GMECMEDIT 2.12
O.S. Windows XP Professional
Error condition: Bad bin file

When I first loaded a bad bin file, I got an error window 'Invalid Item Data/Syntax in Item. Check for missing comma. Item #30.'
I was not able to exit this error message window. The only way out was Control/Alt/Del and end task on the application.

When I tried to run GMECMEDIT again, I would get the error message on start-up of the program. I figured out that the preferences were pre-set to load the last bin used. Since I could not get out of the loop when the error message appeared, it was a useless process.

To get around it, I opened a completely new directory and extracted the zipped file to it. Now it was first time use, and I could specify a good bin.

Strange, I thought I had extracted it again a couple of times to the old directory and replaced the files, but continued having the same problem.

Also, when using Windows Explorer, I cannot delete the old directory and files. Message pops up showing them in use. When I do Cont/Alt/Del, I see the appp GMECMEDIT - right click it show the process and it is Windows Explorer.

As you can tell, I'm no guru on this stuff. I depend on folks like you, Grumpy, and until lately, all the other great folks on DIY-EFI and Third Gen.

Now, I'm just waiting for DIY-EFI to get back up and try to find a AUJP hac file so I can figure out the VSS settings.

Thanks again,
David
David Workman
1987 Buick Grand National
1987 Buick Turbo T-Type
1994 GMC Sonoma - soon to be 400 small block with TPI
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hi David -

Thanks for the post.

If this happens to you again, the first thing to do is delete the settings file in the application directory. This will restore the application to its default settings.

If you can't delete the directory because something in it is "in use" (as reported by the system), you can open up the task manager (ctrl alt del) and select "GMECMEdit.exe" and click "end task". This wlil force the app to close and you can then delete the directory.

The problem wasn't with the bin, it was with the ecu file (the definition file). If you like, you can email it to me and I'll fix it for you.

Oh, and thanks for the details at the top of your post. Wish they were all like that! ;-)

Let me know!

Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JPorter12

Post by JPorter12 »

I had the same problem with an 8d.ecu file, but I was able to get it to load and click away from that value and fix it within Tunerpro. It took some fast clicking on another item and pressing enter to ok the error, but I got it working!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Again, the syntax error message is a result of an invalid ECU file, not bin file. Usually its an error as a result of hand-editing the ECU file. If you can't figure out where the error is, send me the ECU and I'll fix it for you.

M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am