Tunerpro/autoprom issues

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Lucas

Tunerpro/autoprom issues

Post by Lucas »

Hello all, im having some issues that i cannot resolve with my own noggin', so here i am. Ive talked with craig as well a few times as well, but have not gotten this issue solved.

Im using Tunerpro with the autoprom on a 89 MAF 165, with the 6E mask. Anywho, the car is in limp home mode, and wont come out of it. It was fine one day and not the next. The autoprom would verify the ram contents, but when in the car it would run like it wasnt even there, same if i tried a burned chip. Pulled out the adapter and zif and checked the original chip and works just as it should. Put the adapter back in with the autoprom, still both fans run. Can talk to the autoprom fine, but the cars computer will not respond. Thought maybe it was an adapter/zif gone bad, tried a new one, didnt change anything. Started messing around with tunerpro trying to upload and all of a sudden it worked as it should, for about 10 minutes idling in the driveway, then all of a sudden it went back into limp home. I tried uploading a few times and it came back for a second, then uploaded a few changes and i lost it again. Now i cant even get the autoprom to verify its upload. says success but isnt the same when verified, just a few bits and pieces are changed. Im at a loss, i keep getting frustrated and am ready to carb the damn thing, and i hate carburators. Ive spent well over ten hours trying different things. And to be honest, right now im not even sure if its a hardware or software thing. Any ideas? I was going to email Mark, but found this forum so i'd thought i'd try here. Any thoughts ideas let me hear them.
Thanks
Lucas

Not sure if it had anything to do with it or not, but before this happened it was idling higher then normal, kind of slowing raising up then dropping back down to normal over a period of about 10 seconds, didnt have much time to look into that part as i was buying a house and working 80 hors a week at the time, the only thing i found out with that was whne i connected the aldl with tunerpro it went right back to normal how it should be. Not too worried about that right now but thought i would mention it in case it is related. Thanks guys
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

You might want to hit the Thirdgen.org DIY-PROM boards with this one.

Also, are you sure the checksum is correct, it not disabled? An incorrect checksum can cause what you describe. It's best to disable it by uploading 0xAA to the mask ID byte.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

I did disable it once when i was trying different things, will do it again just to make sure. TGO is my next stop for help. I guess now it doesnt matter that much since the oil thing happend here in the NW gas is going to jump another dollar so it wont be driven much for a while.
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Well, i got it, even with checksum disabled it still wanted the checksum to be a certain number, then it worked. But i lost my most recent bin so i get to do some tuning again.

I went through as disabled the checksum in all my past bins. Went back a ways and got one to work with checksum disable. Used the difference tool to find the difference between that one and the next because the next didnt work even with checksum disabled. The checksum was the only difference other then some fueling stuff so a made the checksum number the same and it worked as well. So i put that same checksum number in with the checksum set to AA and they all worked. Except for my most recent bin which i screwed up by hitting the save button when it had no information up, idiot.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

To disable the checksum, set the MASK ID to AA, not the checksum.

The mask ID byte is the one that contains 6E. Search the 6E XDF for "mask ID". Set it to AA.

That's probably your problem.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Ive set the Mask ID to AA.
Things are interesting, i can no longer upload to the autoprom with the car on, cannot emulate either. The only way i can get things to work is to unhook the autoprom from the ecu, upload the bin to the autoprom, then hook the autoprom up to the ecu, and start the car. Im thinking the autoprom unit has gone south.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hmm, could be. What if you upload while the key is off (and the ECM unpowered - sometimes you have to have the key off for ~15 seconds for the ECM to be unpowered)?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

That doesnt work either. Stuff isnt making sense, thats why im still leaning towards the unit being bad. Kinda of thinking of getting an ostrich and if that works fine with the same bin setup, then i will send the autoprom to craig and have him take a look at it.