Help Downloading BIN

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

trevorradman

Help Downloading BIN

Post by trevorradman »

I have a 96 mustang LWC3 ecu that utilizes CDAN4.

I have BURN2+FA+FE, and was able to follow the moates instructions to download my BIN via flash n burn.
-Plug everything in
-Select FORD EECV in flash n burn
-Select "Read Chip" in flash n burn, read successful.
-Write buffer to file, buffer wrote to file successfully.

BIN that was loaded is 128k, however looks like a garbage HEX file, with all value pairs as CF and FF.

Am I missing something to read a FORD EECV ecu?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I've googled, searched, and googled some more! Love to attach my BIN, don't see an option on this forum.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Is the J3 port clean? They usually have protective grease over a conformal coating both of which need removing.
trevorradman

Post by trevorradman »

J3 was clean, you did motivate me to reclean it with some sandpaper and brake cleaner, thanks for the tip. In the end trial and error prevailed. Here are some tips for those wishing to read thier CDAN4 EECV. This ECU was a LWC3, email me if you need this stock bin!

Short Answer:
Set the Chip Addressing to:
Start: 000000
End: 03FFFF

Buffer Addressing:
03FFFF

Click "READ CHIP"!
Click "Save Buffer to File"

Download the CDAN4.XDF from TIPERFORMANCE.COM
http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Binaries/Misc/CDAN4/
*The CDAN4 file from other sources resulted in false errors!

Long Explanation:
I had to use the TunerPro Hex Editor, and read read read on hex files to understand what was going on.
Troubleshooting steps that "worked for me"... wish I had this info to start!:
1. Download a known good BIN and Strategy(tiperformance.com files worked for me). Explore. Check out the tables, scalars, and other items to get familiar with what CDAN4 strategy items are available with that XDF.
2. Use Hex editor to explore this known good bin. Open the XDF and check out the BIN File layout. notice that the good stuff starts at location(think line number... in hex) "00012000".
3. The Moates instructions here are a bit vague:
http://support.moates.net/burn1f2af2e-r ... ford-ecms/
3a. Pick EECV or enter chip address start -> 000000... end -> 03FFFF. Note that the MOATEs instructions do not specify "Buffer Address", just to enter "Start/End". In my case, the same Chip and Buffer settings worked.
3b. Enter Buffer Address. start -> 000000, end -> 03FFFF
3c. Click "Read Chip"(THIS STEP IS MISSING FROM MOATS INSTRUCTIONS AS OF 2/5/2015!). Read chip loads the ECU BIN to the buffer.
3d. then click save buffer to file.

Also: both Windows 8, and 7 did not recognize the burn2 burner using flash n burn. Moates has some great troubleshooting info on thier site. Changing the USB port to COM4 in device manager worked on windows 8(Lenovo laptop, note the UI is a bit different from his instructions, windows 8 calls device manager something different). Loading the drivers from the Moates website cured my problems on windows 7(Dell) with no other changes required.

Woohoo off to editing my first BIN! Good luck.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Congratulations on figuring out your problem.

A word of warning though about that xdf you provided the link for; it will not work correctly for some scalars. The CDAN4 strategy is one of those fun strategies that hard code certain scalars within the code and you need to change the value multiple addresses for the same parameter (e.g. "Injector Low Slope" (aka ALOSL) and "Air Charge One Cylinder" (aka SARCHG)).