Tuner PRo + autoprom + ALDL run at the same time?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

adowdell

Tuner PRo + autoprom + ALDL run at the same time?

Post by adowdell »

I'm getting ready to purchase the autoprom and Hopefully I'll be using Tuner PRo...Can I datalog with the built in ALDL stuff on the autoprom, and tune real time at the same time, or do I need to download to the bin, disconnect, connect aldl, datalog, disconnect aldl, tune, download to bin repeat? Or would I ahve to use datamaster or someother datalogger in order to run at the same time? Thanks ahead of time, just trying to get everthing figured out before purchase.
adowdell

I once again answer my own question...

Post by adowdell »

Simultaneously emulate and data log using AutoProm or serial->USB converter
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

For the most part, yes, you can do both simultaneously through a single USB port with the AutoProm. There are some vehicles that TunerPro and the AutoProm have trouble with in "simultaneous" mode, including $58 (Syclone/Typhoon), and '90 and '91 Y-cars. Those issues will be worked out soon, however.

For most other applications, it works fine ($6E and 160 baud applications are well tested).

M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
adowdell

Post by adowdell »

Mangus wrote:For the most part, yes, you can do both simultaneously through a single USB port with the AutoProm. There are some vehicles that TunerPro and the AutoProm have trouble with in "simultaneous" mode, including $58 (Syclone/Typhoon), and '90 and '91 Y-cars. Those issues will be worked out soon, however.

For most other applications, it works fine ($6E and 160 baud applications are well tested).

M
ok, I'm pretty sure I fall into that category then... I've got a 1990 sunbird, and everywhere I've read, I've got the same ecu that the sy/ty's are running. I'll be patient on that end then.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Yes, the sunbird is $58. The good news is that I'm working through issues with these vehicles. $58 code is a pain to work with on the ALDL side!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tblentrprz

Simultaneous Emulation and logging issues on $OD ECU

Post by tblentrprz »

Using Autoprom and emulation seems to be an issue. I can connect to ALDL with PROM in and log no problem. With Autoprom emulation ribbon cable in ECU PROM ZIF socket (pin 1 position just as prom was) and bin file "uploaded succesfully" in Autoprom, I get verify error with or without ignition key on. bin file and Autoprom don't jive. Also appears uploaded bin file is not seen correctly by the ECU. I "disabled checksum" in ALDL/Emulation preferences with no change. I set Mask ID (L4008 in bin) to AA, no change. "Disable checksum" offset set to 0x08. Do I need to change the offset?

The truck runs but seems to be running on limp mode. I can download bin file from Autoprom (doesn't look familiar, not sure where it came from?) and verify function works. "Enabling emulation" doesn't make a difference. Anyone experience this issue? Would like to get emulation going and then include datalog simulataneous through the Autoprom. Autoprom "Quick Start Guide" do not include the details to make this work.

Interesting observation: I'm using USB port 6 on my laptop and it sees the Autoprom as a USB/serial converter in "device manager" (good!) however when setting up preferences in TunerProRT and checking the USB connection with the "test for valid cable..." when in "MAX232 interface type" mode it fails with comm port 6 selected. It must be set to com3 to see the cable! Strange?

I sense the the offset address is not correct. Any help is much apperciated. Thank You
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Regarding ALDL in AutoProm mode, good news is here:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-p ... oprom.html

Regarding LHM, make sure you've disabled the checksum by uploading 0xAA to the mask ID.

Finally, use the latest version here:

http://tunerpro.net/beta/Builds/
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tblentrprz

Post by tblentrprz »

Looks like the patch doesn't have any conflicts with the BJYL bin. I'll try it out and post results. Any comments on offset value (required for 512K bit bin) or com port descrepacy? Many Thanks
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

tblentrprz wrote:Any comments on offset value (required for 512K bit bin) or com port descrepacy? Many Thanks
I don't understand the question.

Also, regarding your inability to emulate - make sure you do not have a chip in the AutoProm ZIF while attempting to emulate.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tblentrprz

Post by tblentrprz »

Sorry. I tried using TP feature "disable checksum by uploading" 0xAA to offset 0x08 (default). Not sure why offset is 08? or what it might need to be for this bin file? Your insight is much appreciated.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

tblentrprz wrote:Sorry. I tried using TP feature "disable checksum by uploading" 0xAA to offset 0x08 (default). Not sure why offset is 08? or what it might need to be for this bin file? Your insight is much appreciated.
Default of offset 0x08 is correct for your mask. I would, however, recommend doing the change to 0xAA manually.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Wait a minute... you're not the original poster of this thread. So are you using $58 or not, tblentprz? If not, do not use that patch i pointed you to.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tblentrprz

My Bad

Post by tblentrprz »

I'm using $0D in 16197427 PCM (95 burb). I won't use the patch. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread just dealing with the same issue.

What do ya suggest? Any thoughts on "disable checksum..." offset or com port Idiosyncrasies?

BTW - no prom in Autoprom when emulating.

Thank You
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Do you have pin 1 of the ribbon hooked up where pin 1 of the chip should go in your ECM adapater?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tblentrprz

Post by tblentrprz »

Yes, pin 1 at same location as PROM.

Since verify doesn't work on bin upload but DOES work with bin download is there something else going on? Not sure where the default file on the Autoprom came from. It somes in with Platform ID MSW FF0C, LSW 1000, PROM ID 5140, Checksum 015A, MASK ID 30.

I assume the upload and verify should function before even hooking upto the ECM. FYI - I've tried with ribbon connected to ECM and not, no success.

Looking forward to your reply.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Yes, you should be able to upload your bin and immediately verify. If verification fails, most likely emulation will not work.

How old is your AutoProm? This sounds like something is electronically malfunctioning.

Shoot Craig an email and see what he has to say. If needed, he can repair or replace the hardware.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tblentrprz

Post by tblentrprz »

Craig identified the problem as the bin file being 75K instead of the expected 64K which is max for Autoprom. Not sure what caused the file to grow after edit. All file edits made in TunerProRT version 4.13. The 75K file worked when burned on 512K PROM. I'll keep an eye on file size while editing and report details if problem appears again. Let me know if this has been seen by others. Thank You