Connecting to a 01 Mustang GT with TunerPro...

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

01StangGT

Connecting to a 01 Mustang GT with TunerPro...

Post by 01StangGT »

I've dug through the forums here and all I can find is that you need a Moates "Quarter Horse" to data log on the SN95 cars. I've found nothing else about connecting to these cars. Suppose one doesn't necessarily want to data log... just to read and write tunes to the EECV. The SCT tuners do this through the OBDII connector. You generate tune files in your computer with SCT's (really expensive) software then send them to SCT's (really expensive) programmer (X3 or whatever SCT programmer you have) which flashes the EECV through the OBDII connector. Is that possible with TunerPro? Can you read and write through the OBDII connector with TunerPro, and if so, what sort of interface is needed between the computer and the OBDII connector? Or is the Quarter Horse simply performing the same function as the SCT programmer, just not doing it through the OBDII connector? The object here is to get data out of and into the EECV as inexpensively as possible, and I'd rather not physically modify the EEC at this point if I don't absolutely have to. Sure, data logging would be nice, but I don't necessarily need to log data. I can read a wideband A/F meter with my eyes and listen for knock... I've got feedback. This is a MAJOR mod job and engine swap (stock GT 4.6 SOHC to modified 5.4L 32V DOHC). It runs as tuned for the stock 4.6 - idles fine, cruises fine (although I know it's too rich) and makes a ton more power than I expected being totally out of tune for this combo (only made a couple of quick test sprints down our rural road here), but it's not drivable like this as running rich will wash the cylinders and eat rings, contaminate the oil, foul the plugs, and all sorts of other nasty things. I just need to get the thing drivable as quickly and inexpensively as possible for the moment. I spent all my money on parts! LOL. What are my options for writing tune files to the EECV in a SN95 car with TunerPro? Any guidance is GREATLY appreciated! :-)
decipha

Post by decipha »

the eec 4s do not have a flash ram chip so you can not flash a tune to them, the only way to have a tune on an eec 4 is to do so over the j3 port which is how the quarterhorse connects to the ecu
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

EFIDynoTuning wrote:the eec 4s do not have a flash ram chip
Some of the later eec-iv's do have flash memory 8)
decipha

Post by decipha »

wow thats pretty cool, learnt sumtin new, any US eec4s ?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

No idea, IIRC an example of the hardware code is SME-505.