Motronic ML 3.1 questions - Porsche 911 3.2l

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Franck

Motronic ML 3.1 questions - Porsche 911 3.2l

Post by Franck »

Hello all,
I am new on this forum, so here is a short presentation:
I have rebuilt some time ago a 911 SC from 1981 with the stock engine. I was looking for some more power, so I decided to buy a 3.6l engine from a 964. I found in fact an interesting project: an engine builder prepared a 3.6l engine but with a 3.2l crankshaft, therefore giving 3.5l. He mounted individual throttle bodies with a throttle position sensor and used the 3.2l system to control the engine. The dual ignition is managed with the motronic coupled with a signal splitter from andial (otherwise the 3.2 Motronic is not able to deliver the power to the plugs). So I mounted the engine into the car and struggled a bit to make it work (in particular problems with the dual ignition) but it eventually fired. However the engine behavior was not very smooth and I especially have lots of emissions. I fried my spark plugs 2 times already, the LM2 wideband sensor I acquired confirmed a rich behavior with lambda values between 0.6 and 1. I then decided to dig into the maps in the motronic, so I bought an Ostrich 2 to emulate the chip, a friend of mine having already extracted the bin from the chip.
The motronic has the Porsche reference 911.618.111.18.
The first question I have is: when I extract the bin file from the chip, I actually got a 32ko file. Is that normal? I found out (thanks to Tunerpro) that the file is divided into 4 files which are quite similar (though not identical) and that the Motronic is using the last 8ko part, at least for cold conditions.
I am now struggling to get a correct idle with good emissions, the engine being actually way too rich as told above, but going to Alpha-N, the maps are quite different from the original 3.2l ones. I spotted a change after the engine being hot = the behavior seemed to be better (it seemed that the mixture was leaner, at least this is what I see with the LM2 wideband). Do you know if on the motronic, the set of maps is changed after the engine is warmed up?
I can share the xdf and bin files if needed, however I will send those by email (I don't know how to share them directly on this thread).

Thanks for your help!
bmwconnect

Post by bmwconnect »

There is over 170 maps for that Motronic not including single value constants. A quarter of those maps are for start up alone.