Hex editor features

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Robin Handley

Hex editor features

Post by Robin Handley »

It would be nice if the program allowed block fill with constants, like hex editors provide (to avoid having to use a hex editor as well). :idea:

It would also be nice if the program provided an interpolation function between values in an array or table - so that the end points could be defined and the program does the hard work of filling in the blanks. :idea:

Robin
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Re: Hex editor features

Post by Mangus »

[quote="Robin Handley"]It would be nice if the program allowed block fill with constants, like hex editors provide (to avoid having to use a hex editor as well). :idea:

It would also be nice if the program provided an interpolation function between values in an array or table - so that the end points could be defined and the program does the hard work of filling in the blanks. :idea:

Robin[/quote]

block fill would be quite easy. Look for this in the next version.

Interpolation would be a bit more complicated (especially since the grid control doesn't support multiply selection), but is possible. I'll put that on the list. Thanks!

Let me know what else you come up with or if you find any bugs!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

[quote="Robin Handley"]It would be nice if the program allowed block fill with constants, like hex editors provide (to avoid having to use a hex editor as well).
Robin[/quote]

OK. This has been added. I'll work on an interpolation solution in the near future.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Robin Handley

Post by Robin Handley »

That's good.

BTW: If you need any input on interpolation algorithms, give me a shout.

Robin

Post by Guest »

1) Besides linear, what would be useful?
2) when there is a low number of data points (say, you're trying to interpolate between the end points of a row of 5 values, say 1 to 2) and given the value conversion, you can only increment in say, .25 increments, how should the error/rounding be handled?

for instance

row: 1, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25

you want to inperpolate between 1 and 2, but can only increment in values of .25 ... what should happen? this?

row: 1, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75, 2.0, 2.0?

where should the error be placed? needs to be placed somwhere, right?
Robin Handley

Post by Robin Handley »

You work out the straight line (or other function) to interpolate between the points, calculate the precise value at each cell position, round to the nearest quantised value, and store that.

Robin
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

right, so then the error ends up where the error ends up... ok. this makes it fairly simple.

The hardest part about the whole matter is implementing a method for choosing cells. I'll have to create a separate dialog to do this.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Robin Handley

Post by Robin Handley »

I'm imagining something where you drag the cursor over a row or column of cells in a table, and they're highlighted. The software then fills in the middle values based on interpolation. Is this what you meant by the dialogue?

Robin
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

not quite. unfortunately the grid control (the control that displays the table itself) that i wrote doesnt support multiple selection. i'd have to do some extensive work to implement this.

i was thinking of just creating a dialog that allows you to click each cell in the table and add it to a list, then do the interpolation.

truth be told, im not sure yet how i will do it. i'll cross the bridge when i come to it. =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am