OBDII upgrade!

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

EagleMark

OBDII upgrade!

Post by EagleMark »

Is OBDII ever going to be included in TunerPro? I know there's enough intrest and many people including my self would pay you way more than you ask for TunerPro RT.

Technoigy is out there to flash PCMs just have to make one affordable, I know there's an LS project XDF and ADX going on.

I've been contimplating the investment to include OBDII tuning in my arsonel but the cost is ridiculas in most cases and I'd rather have one tuner program to handle both!

So is this in any plans for future? Can we bribe you? :D
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if i had to guess, i'd say not in the capacity you're thinking of. it IS possible to modify BINs and log data from an OBD2 vehicle, but unless you have a way of programming changes into the PCM, it's somewhat of a lost cause.

so, the problem then is that you need a way to save the new BIN to the PROM. two ways of going about that: removing the PROM from the PCM and writing it in a EEPROM programmer(like what we do with most GM OBD1), or by updating it through the DLC. couple of problems with both approaches though:

remove PROM/program/etc:

well, PLCC is kind of hard to solder/desolder for the average tuner, and you would need a PLCC ZIF socket if you planned on doing it more than once or twice. you also would need the PCM to be in a fairly accessible place to do this, and sometimes that doesn't happen.

flash via DLC:

well, you need a program that will transmit a request to the PCM to update the BIN, then upload the BIN. sounds simple enough, but unless you happen to either be skilled in making windows (or even DOS) programs, that's out of the question. problem #2 is that you will require hardware that will convert USB/serial data in the format that the PCM wants to see. an ELM327 is popular for this kind of thing, but from what i'm told it lacks "block transfer" capability or something to that effect, essentially meaning it COULD flash a PCM, but it would take a LONG time to do so.

because of either approach, i really don't see Mark being able to research and impliment EVERY possible programming approach required for the vast array of applications that tunerpro can be used with. it's a LOT of time invested.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Technoligy is there to flash OBDII other software does it.

We know where to buy cable... info I would only share with you and Mark...

Just need software! :D

Internet again?
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
Relic

Post by Relic »

j2534 was created to replace many cables with one and support all protocols.
Perhaps this should be the main focus.....but the price makes it pointless.
Far cheaper for people to use vehicle specific cloned tools for writing.
Checksums on write is a major hurdle.
Differing write protocols is another hurdle.
Differnet procedures for intigating writing depending on ECU manufacturer is another.

Massive job in its own right.
Much harder than creating tunerpro.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

There's nothing in the way of TunerPro being used for general OBDII tuning, other than for someone to write the plug-in(s) and definitions necessary to do it.

GM OBDII definitions are out there for TunerPro.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am