Transmit Stream Send

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

J Ludwig

Transmit Stream Send

Post by J Ludwig »

I have a 16147060 ECU using a 138.ADX definition file. Looking at the file with Notepad, I see that the "Transmit Stream Send" Command1 is listed as "F4570100B4". Is that sent to the ECU as a string or 5 seperate hex values?
EagleMark

Re: Transmit Stream Send

Post by EagleMark »

J Ludwig wrote:I have a 16147060 ECU using a 138.ADX definition file. Looking at the file with Notepad, I see that the "Transmit Stream Send" Command1 is listed as "F4570100B4". Is that sent to the ECU as a string or 5 seperate hex values?
OxF4 is where data is coming from. Ox57 is the size of the message. Ox01 is Mode 1 meesage. Ox00 is Mode 1 Message 0. 0xB4 is the checksum of that string.

You can get the origanal ALDL.ds file that has that information here:
http://gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/aldl/
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
J Ludwig

Post by J Ludwig »

EagleMark,
Thanks for the reply. I'm attempting to access the ECU with a microcontroller to read certain values like injector pulse width for fuel flow calculations. Do I simply send it that 5 hex character string to get it to respond? Or, does that $57 message length refer to the size of the request message? According to A138.DS the ECU reply length should be $91 words containing 59 data bytes. What I find puzzling is there is no mention of vehicle speed in that specification yet, when I'm using TunerPro RT with 138.ADX definition, it's displayed on the laptop screen.
J L
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

All that work has already been done to A138 and converted to an .ads file that can be imported to TunerProV5 and it will prompt you to save as an adx It is here:
http://tunerpro.net/gmOBDI.htm

Then look at it and it will all come together for you.

What is the ECM number or mask? I may have a better one already.

I looked at A138.ds and speed is in there:
31 FILTMPH FILTERED MILES PER HOUR (MSB)
MPH = N
(kph = 1.61N)
It may not be entered as a value or entered on Item List

After converting to adx you may need to add a pause, search here for glitch...
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

The '7060 PCM typically runs $85.

It sounds like he's trying to make a standalone device that displays values like MPG, similar to many OEM HUDs.

I need to get back to working on my display, which I also plan to interface with the '7060, but mine will be a ways off, still learning C+ programming.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

C+ well I know where your time is going! :D

I have been working with another guy on a good $85 adx but have not heard back if the last version fixed the glitch, we did get a good connection though...

You can try them and let me know which works better, no glitch, easy connection etc...
They are in this thread:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... rmation-85
1990 Chevy Suburban

J Ludwig

Post by J Ludwig »

Six_Shooter, you hit the nail on the head! I've got a registered TunerPro RT that has been used sucessfully for my vehicle. (it's a 1993 motorhome on a GM P30 chassis with a 7.4L engine. Mask $85. I've used 138.ADX to monitor running values on the engine and 177.ADX to look at transmission values, as well as building some cool dashboards and recording real time data.

My goal, as you guessed, is to use the old analog TV in the dash as a monitor for various parameters as well as fuel flow and fuel totalizer calculations. I'm using a Parallax Propeller microcontroller, an 8 core MCU with built in TV and VGA graphics drivers. My problem is figuring out how to ask the ECU for information. Once I get that problem solved, I can fill an array with data then use another core to parse and then manipulate the values that I'm interested in. The display part is simple.

Thanks,
J L
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

First off... your having to much fun! :D

i don't think anyone has yet made a solid adx for the $85 ECM. If you can get data to laptop then you seem to know how to get it to TV!

Have you tried the other versions I made? Do they work? If you will test I will work on making them work.
1990 Chevy Suburban

EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

I just looked over the $85 and found a few mistakes. There are new ones there that are correct with subtle changes to each. Try them in order:
$85-16147060-V3.3.adx
$85-16147060-V3.4.adx

Available at:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... rmation-85
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Uhhh, I have an $85 ADX that I use on my friends car.

It seems to work better on my Win7 Lenovo laptop than my WinXP Dell laptop though.

I'll post it in the thread on Gearhead-EFI shortly.
J Ludwig

Post by J Ludwig »

Thanks, guys. I downloaded the new files and will be looking through them. My bin file appears to be BAMS, according to the label on the ECU. I haven't figured out how to put an image in this forum so I'll just type the label in.

SERVICE NO. 16147060 BAMS
*86BAMSK430670717*

One more question, though. Is the connection on pin M TTL level? I'm assuming this because a converter is required to change to standard serial. I bought the serial cable and am using a Parallax serial to USB converter for my laptop. For the MCU that I'm using, I have a MAX232 chip connected to convert serial to TTL levels since it's a 3.3v device.

JL
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Six Shooter, we were working with the adx you had posted with no luck on another forum, hence my involvement with trying new ones.

I can't answer the other questions except, yes Pin M.

Serial converters do need special drivers that usually come with. There are some that work and some that don't! If you must have a serial converter I would look at Moates website for one known to work.

BAMS comes back as 1991 16147060 PCM P3 truck 7.4L Auto HTH!
1990 Chevy Suburban

J Ludwig

Post by J Ludwig »

Eaglemark, Six_Shooter,

Thanks for your help, I now have a working stand-along ECU monitor that displays all 59 data words. It is still a work in progress but the important part is working.

Six_Shooter, from one of your posts it sound like you are interested in building some kind monitor as well. I would be happy to share whatever information I have. (and you don't have to learn C+)

JL