I need to read rhis!

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

dragonaile

I need to read rhis!

Post by dragonaile »

Hi! I am new to computerized ECU reading. I just bought a Safari van for cheap, And I Have a check engine, And Also a ABS and also a park break light on...

I bought A cable from ALDL.com, And, I pluged it right in... I Have tuner pro RT And I try to Read my ECU. But, I seem to be not able to find the Right definition For it. I have a 1992 Astro,with a 4.3 CPI... Same engine than the S-10 4.3 CPI. It's OBD I...

It's been 3 days that I am on it, I can't read it, I've taken all the def that are here; http://www.tunerpro.net/gmOBDI.htm... I've tried all of them but, None of them seems to give me any reading. I have a error message that appear each time I switch def: Mismatch ADS and XDF files.

Now, If anybody could just point me toward a direction where I could head to find The good thing to do to read the Computer and know what is the Error code, Or to find the right Def, or To ask me questions where I could identify what I did wrong...

I am not really good with computers, So, I may be slow to understand sometimes...

Thank you in advance for the help...
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the "Mismatch ADS and XDF files" error is just due to the XDF you have loaded, it doesn't necessarily mean the definition is bad.

i may not have the 4.3 CPI definition finished yet.
dragonaile

Post by dragonaile »

Ok, Thank you.. But... Now, I am just more confused...

Now, I think I understood that the ADS Files are for reading the ECU isn't it? So, THe ADS File are to match the Right type of ECU for the right type of engine. So If there is no ADS file For mu Engine, I am screwed no?

Now, What are XDF for?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the ADS is used to decode the datastream coming out of the ECM, the XDF is used to decode the contents of the tune.

i've been slowly making ADS files for every GM OBD1 application, someday they will all be complete.

i'll try and dig around and see which one applies to your Astro.

you're certain it's a CPI motor? i didn't think thise were around by 1992...
starrd

Post by starrd »

It would be much easier if you posted the number that is on your ECU. I had a 1991 Safari van that was TBI. I was able to read it after some messing around. Once you get your ECU number then we will know for sure what you are dealing with.
dragonaile

Post by dragonaile »

yeah... ECU number... To find this I will have to find the unit itself... Some say it's on the Passenger fender, Some say it's under the passenger seat, Some say it's in the engine compartment... I will dig this and Come back with an answer next week end...

I have the CPI engine, It's For sure, I have already changed the spider in it, So, I am about sure it's a CPI! :`D :P

I've dig around for the ADS file that could Apply to my Safari, But, All I have is Data that It can not decode. Or With strange Values. I was also using the Version 4.14, So, I don't know If this could have been a problem... I have not try the version 5 yet on the truck, So, I Don't know If this will work better...

Now that I am here, I want to Thank you Robertisaar For your work! You Try to make the life easier for peoples like me! And, For that, You are worthy of the greatest respect I can give to a human being!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

it looks like 1992 was actually the first year for the CPI motor, A178 should apply, i don't believe i have it made yet, but i'll probably have it done by sometime tonight.
starrd

Post by starrd »

dragonaile wrote:yeah... ECU number... To find this I will have to find the unit itself... Some say it's on the Passenger fender, Some say it's under the passenger seat, Some say it's in the engine compartment... I will dig this and Come back with an answer next week end...
Might have changed it when they went CPI, but mine was behind the panel next to the passenger's right foot, just in front of the passenger door.

I had a heck of a time getting my ALDL line to work - it was picking up interferance from something. I ended up tracing it back towards the ECU where I found another plug. When I used this point to connect to my laptop it would work correctly.
dragonaile

Post by dragonaile »

To Robertisaar--> Thank you, I will see if this work As soon as I can have some time alone with the truck...

to starrd --> Thank you, I will look But, Heeee, I don't think there enough room there for a ECU... Will check anyway... I think it's the ABS that is under the Passenger seat...

I will look at all this as soon as I can...,