.BIN Files

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

daveinrenton

.BIN Files

Post by daveinrenton »

I have downloaded the BIN def file but am not sure whether or not I need to select a BIN file and, if so, which one. I have a stock 1987 Corvette with a Nash 4+3 manual. When I read, it sounds like the bin data is taken from the ECM. I mainly want to see the TPS voltages and other setting and real time data as the engine operates. So, when I have the proper XDF file and plug in my ALDL cable and turn the ignition on, should that be enough to see a data stream or is the BIN file required also?

Dave
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

You don't need a bin file to look at data or record data.

The XDF file is for the chip, to make changes to the information on the chip.

To look at data and data logging you need the proper ADX file for TP version 5 or ads file version for TP version 4.

Once you have the proper ADX file loaded in TunerPro you'll need a blank file to log data to. This is very nice to use TunerPro and watch you log play back. It's in the Help Section of the software but basically you have to use a plain text editor like Notepad and save a blank page as whatever you can find later lik "My First Log" after saving it load it into TunerPro and whaile the vehicle is running click the record button. Hope That Helps!
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
daveinrenton

Post by daveinrenton »

Thanks Glenn. Is it OK to load the XDF and the ADX at the same time? I can't figure out how to take them off once I load them on! Also, the ALDL cable I bought said I need to designate the com port on the software but there is no menu item to accomplish it. When I loaded the USB driver software, it indicated COM 3. I think that is compatible with TunerPro. I'm excited to plug in and see the data pop up in the Dashboard but that has yet to happen.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you are not bored with me yet.

Dave
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

No not bored! Just trying to help some of the new guys because I received so much help from the guys here, if I can help some newbies I figure it will free up some time for the experts! :D

Now we will see if I can answer your questions.
1. Yes you can load XDF and ADX at the same time.
2. You don't have to take them off when your done, just close the program and they will be there next time you open it as long as you have gone to tools, preferences, data acq./emulation. In there you will find some preferences to "Load last data/acq. definitions at start up. This is also the same place you need to be to set up whatever hardware you are using for your cable and com port settings.
3. If you need to change XDF just click on XDF and select. If you made any changes to the XDF then save or save as.
4. To change the ADX click on Acquisition and load definition file. If you need to edit the definition you would have clicked on edit definition and a new window opens where you make changes and it will have a save button.
5. The data log file is XDL and you have to make a blank in text editor like I told you in the other post. Then click acquisition then load log file and pick the blank you made and saved where you can find it. When your done logging data just click acquisition then start/stop data scan. If you want to save it outside TunerPro then click Acquisition, export log file. But if you just close TunerPro it will be there when you reopen the program. You can watch it play back at any time your not recording.

HTH! :D
1990 Chevy Suburban

daveinrenton

Post by daveinrenton »

Glenn: Looks like the trick was configuring the cable in Tools/Preferences. I got a good test so now I think that should do it. I'll be playing with the car later this week and will report on success. Thanks again! Dave
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Glad it worked out for you! Once you get familar with the software for your regular uses you'll find SO much more. I am really impressed with how much can be done with it!
1990 Chevy Suburban