TunerPro RT v5 freezing

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

DRKFISH

TunerPro RT v5 freezing

Post by DRKFISH »

I'm wondering why Tunerpro RT v5 freezes when I real time data log. It's strange cause the first time I used tuner pro it worked for about 3 or so minutes then froze. Now it works for about 2 seconds then freezes. Any clue why? It says there's 1 error but I don't know how to retrieve any error reports. I unplug the USB and the program works again. I have a 89 mustang 5.0 using quarterhorse. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I am new to this.
jetenginedoctor

Post by jetenginedoctor »

I'm having the same problem. It's as if the memory fills up and I can't do ANYTHING, including stop the datalogging unless I unplug the USB cord. It only does this if I'm using the chart logger, it doesn't create a problem if I'm viewing the data page or the gauges. I'm frustrated by this because I think that this is very capable software, and I'd like to make THIS my calibration tool as I wish to do GM aplications as well and prefer to have a common software tool instead of having to deal with the ins and outs of several applications. As soon as I get everything working the way I want it to, I'll no doubt happily pay the registration fee and probably a bit more, but this is silly. SCT's logging software used to do something similar, though I'm not sure what the fix finally was for them.

Thanks in advance (Mark, Dex, and whoever else can help figure this out.)

BK
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

jetenginedoctor wrote: As soon as I get everything working the way I want it to, I'll no doubt happily pay the registration fee and probably a bit more, but this is silly.

BK
Sometimes things don't come across the internet as intended... but this statement is so far out of line I can't find a way to take it other than a threat... you'll pay if he fixs your problem! There's no need for that, Mark has written a software program that should cost hundreds of dollars and it's free because he did it for fun and his hobby with his car.

Don't worry, he will read this and help your problem. He always does. He has gone so far out of his way to help me once I could not beleive it! In the end it was my fault.

I wish I could help you work out the issue, I have thought about it but come up with nothing. From what your saying it's a datalog problem so read up the help section of the software and see if it's there. Everything has to be right or obviously it won't work.

Someone mentioned they think or can narrow it down to running out of memory? That made me think you don't have the proper adx file or have not opened a data log file to place the data. I copied this from the help section for you. I hope it helps! :D

To record a logging session:

1) Select a datastream definition and connect to your ECM as you normally would.
2) Be sure you're actively monitoring.
3) Select a log file to record to. This can either be a new file, or an existing one. If pre-existing, a new session will be added to the existing log file.
4) Press the record button in either the setup tab or on the log transport.
5) To end the recording session, press the stop button.

To playback a logging session:

1) If not already selected, select the log file you wish to playback.
2) In the drop-list on the ALDL setup window, select the log session you'd like to play back.
3) In either the ALDL setup window or the ALDL log toolbar, press the play button.

Once playing back, you may pause, resume, and seek by dragging the slider (or highlighting it and pressing the left/right arrows on your keyboard). To add a session to the selected file, simply press record again!
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
jetenginedoctor

GlennEFI wrote:
jetenginedoctor wrote: As soon as I get everything working the way I want it to, I'll no doubt happily pay the registration fee and probably a bit more, but this is silly.

BK
Sometimes things don't come across the internet as intended... but this statement is so far out of line I can't find a way to take it other than a threat...
I don't do threats, troll.
you'll pay if he fixs your problem!
I'll pay for the software as soon as I'm comfortable that it'll do what I need it to, otherwise I'll go another direction.
There's no need for that, Mark has written a software program that should cost hundreds of dollars and it's free because he did it for fun and his hobby with his car.
Are you Mark's body guard, fanboi, or do you just get a thrill out of jumping up in somebody's face in effort to try to make yourself look smart? Don't let the post count fool you, buddy. I've been around the block a time or two.
Don't worry, he will read this and help your problem. He always does. He has gone so far out of his way to help me once I could not beleive it! In the end it was my fault.
And by felating him on his forum, trying to bash me, you're somehow repaying him? I have a better idea, send him the hundreds of dollars you say his software is worth. He'd probably like that more than any happy ending you could ever give him. :roll:
I wish I could help you work out the issue, I have thought about it but come up with nothing.
Yeah, I wish you could too, instead of being an f'ing troll. If you don't know how to fix it, how about you shut the hell up?
From what your saying it's a datalog problem so read up the help section of the software and see if it's there. Everything has to be right or obviously it won't work.
No kidding, Glenn? Did you figure that out by yourself? I guess I figured that software that I'm willing to pay for should just kindof "work" when you follow the directions. In other words, I've ALREADY FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS. Get the hell out of my face.
Someone mentioned they think or can narrow it down to running out of memory?
My laptop has 2 gigs of memory and running XP Pro. If my hardware isn't adequate, then this isn't the software for me.
That made me think you don't have the proper adx file or have not opened a data log file to place the data.
Yeah, I don't have the correct .ADX file. That POS that Dex put up is no damn good. He must be as big an A-hole as I am, and just as stupid, right? DATALOGGING WORKS, GENIOUS. . . . BUT IT LOCKS THE F-ING COMPUTER!
I copied this from the help section for you. I hope it helps! :D
How about you shut your sewer pipe until it has some original technical content to share?

****SNIPPED THE OBVIOUS****

Glenn, I suggest you do your homework and figure out who I am before you go running your gutter in my direction.

As for anyone with a clue (obviously not Glenn,) do you have any insight on this? I realize that Mark doesn't develop this software full time, and I realize that the support for this software isn't the same that I should expect for my (overpriced) SCT software. My view is that software that one uses that does the job should be paid for -- its only fair to the people who develop and support it. However, the other side of that, is that somebody should be able to "test drive" the software to make sure the product does the job. People like Glenn throwing in their unsolicited opinion doesn't make the software work any better, and thus doesn't bring me any closer to sending my money to Mark to reward his efforts. In fact, it makes me feel like reaching for my credit card and registering BE instead. However, BE doesn't do GM, which is why I'm trying to make this tool work.

So Mark, Dex, and others who know things work under the hood with the software, is there anything you can do to help us out?

Thanks in advance guys (not you, Glenn.)
Last edited by jetenginedoctor on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Wow dude! Take a pill... :roll:
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the personal insults and other bickering is not going to benefit anyone, so end it.

the fact that it only happens when histograms are active is an indicator of whatever the problem is, may it be a bug in the software or something not configured correctly by an end-user.

make notes of the exact situations it happens in, make a copy of the original ADX, then start removing histograms one by one to single out which one is causing it, then we MAY know why it's happening.

i had an issue when the histograms were active and engine speed hit 0, it locked the program up every time, turns out one of my conversions caused a calculation result of "infinite" and caused the lockup, maybe it's a similar situation.
jetenginedoctor

Robert,

I haven't gotten down to adding anything of signifigance to the items being recorded. From memory, the only things it was recording when I experienced the lockups were RPM, WBO2, and one of the HEGOs. It's whatever happened to be the default chart logger settings in the ADX file that was shared on one of Dex's definitions threads. I can't remember now if it came from Dex or another forum member, but I remember something to the effect that it was authored by Craig Moates, so I'd rather expect it to work. Again, the chart logger runs and runs, but the machine "locks up" and won't accept commands to do anything else until you pull the USB cable, close the chart logger window, then plug it back in.

If it makes a flying flip toward helping figure out the cause of the problem, I could use a camera to record the issue and then post it to somebody who might recognize the issue. I need to get this figured out, though. I suppose I can use my little Dataq box to record like I would have to anyway if I were just using my SCT stuff on this car, but that would mean I paid a bunch of extra money to have a Quarterhorse for nothing. Hope that makes sense.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

be sure to keep notes and see if you can single out the issue.

do you happen to know of anyone else running the same hardware or software setup and running into the same issue?
jetenginedoctor

Well, it looks to me like the original poster in this thread is having the same issues I am, but he hasn't sounded off lately, has he? Maybe he figured it out, maybe he doesn't have time to fool with it (or read the forums.) I'll try again sometime this week and see what I get.
DRKFISH

Post by DRKFISH »

Sorry. Been busier than usual lately, but this weekend I was able to revisit my problem. I downloaded everything again on my wife's netbook and it worked consistently. Apparently it was an issue with my laptop that I still haven't been able to figure out even though I've downloaded everything over again. Think I'll use this as an excuse for a new laptop. And a user error on my part was turning the key off with out stopping the datalog session. That froze the software every time I did that. Man this thread got really vicious. Tell you what though, I found out that the customer service at Moates is pretty awesome. They're good about email and returning phone calls. A rep for Moates told me it's unusual for QH to work some of the time and not. He said to check that the drivers are updated and such. Still doesn't work on my laptop but at least it's working on the wife's... that's good enough for now.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Histograms are an area that I need to do some stability work on. Similarly, the monitors need some optimization. On memory or CPU limited machines, you may find that, as the monitors fill up with data, TunerPro perf will drop. I have plans to fix this in the near term.

Histograms will typically cause crashes if something goes awry (and crashes should be obvious, with Windows telling you that it crashed), but lockups should be rare.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with you holding of registration until you're satisfied. In fact, I prefer it. No offense there.

Also, Glenn is not a troll, and I appreciate his defense, although it's not really necessary. His heart and mind are in the right place.

Now, let's keep the regularly scheduled programming on track.

If you continue to see the lockup/issues, please continue to post details and I'll look into it.

In fact, if at all possible, it would be great if someone could send me the ADX that they're using, and a log file (XDL). If the lockup or crash keeps you from saving a log that is in progress, after closing TunerPro (however you're able to), you can find the temporary log (temp.xdl) in your documents folder, under "TunerPro Files." Fire that my way with the ADX, and hopefully I can reproduce the issue with it.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am