The Motronic 1.3 Thread

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

DmcL

The Motronic 1.3 Thread

Post by DmcL »

ive been steady working away adding new maps in WinOLS from the index of map addresses and as usual the more i see the less i know lol

im putting this thread up as a sort of "everything new to do with M1.3 goes in here" sort of thing.

ALL HEX LOCATIONS MENTIONED ARE FROM A 173 CHIP ENDING IN "705"
locations may be different on other chip software numbers.

first thing ive noticed since i started checking and adding all the maps that i dont already have from the index of map addresses is that there are a s**tload of 4x1 coolant temp related maps... i mean literally TONS of them scattered around in the code. anyone have any ideas why theres so many and what they are for?

second.. ive found some maps which i thought were WOT maps as they are 16x1 and have a similar if not identical RPM axis to some of the WOT ignition/fuel maps but the map data is definately not for either ignition or fuel, one of these 16x1 maps can be found at 5947h and it seems to have the same RPM value for 5 or 6 axis points on the map also? the other wierd 16x1 has a more normal looking RPM axis and can be found at 5781h. anyone got any ideas on these?

also found some 4x4 coolant temp vs intake air temp maps, does anyone know the factor and offset for coolant temp and intake air temp (descriptor byte for IAT is 37h)?

and last but not least for now (i have plenty more odd finds and questions but ill save them for later), does anyone know what the map at 4C00 is? it has the descriptor byte for coolant temp (38h) but its only a 2x1 map, looks maybe like a constant of some sort? its also in the index of map addresses multiple times, seems like its always between chunks of certain types/sizes of maps?

im using the demo version of WinOLS and it doesnt look like i can save my project to share, i have added a handfull of the maps into my 173 XDF but it will take atleast a week to add all the maps i find, probably more than a week because there are so many maps and so many unknown maps. ive found some descriptor bytes that i dont know either.. so far the descriptors i know are:

3B = RPM
40 = Load
3A = ??? (not 100% if its a descriptor but maybe fuel/injector constant?)
31 = ??? (not 100% if its a descriptor but maybe lambda?)
36 = Voltage
37 = Intake Air Temp
38 = Coolant Temp
03 = UNKNOWN (definately a descriptor, no idea what for tho)
9F = UNKNOWN (definately a descriptor, no idea what for tho)
9D = UNKNOWN (definately a descriptor, no idea what for tho)
EthosMotorsports
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

3A = TPS (V)
04 = Temp Linearization
Last edited by ecuconnection on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.ecuconnections.com DIY tuning forum
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

ooh.. maybe the maps with 3A axis are the barometric sensor related maps :o
EthosMotorsports
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

What don't you use my Haken's software for 173 ecu, I made the code with less maps, for example if the code has 8 cooland maps od 1x4 of similar values, I made only one so that is simple to tune.
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

because i want to figure out why theres so many similar maps and why only 1 or 2 are used.. maybe some used under certain conditions, high IAT, low engine temp, high engine temp, etc, etc. but i cant find any info about what in the code tells the ECU where to read, when and why..

aside from that i would and have used ur bigger maps file but i want to know how it all works myself so i can modify or create my own file like u did.

also i know ur not into E30's anymore these days but u might find it interesting anyway.. im messing around with a GM 1 bar MAP sensor at the minute. havent done much more since the initial trial where i managed to get the car idling and revving (roughly) with it but since then i have added a capacitor and resistor into the wiring for it which should smooth out the voltage output of the MAP sensor because thats what i got stuck on before, too much fluctuation in the output signal to get anything i could start tuning. also now that ive tuned for various sizes of fuel injectors with the injector constants map im going to re-install my volvo MAF conversion (unless the MAP conversion blows it away) and tune the AFM 1x8 for the MAF and the injector constants for whatever injectors. whenever i get around to it if ur still sharing the MAF conversion info i could share my tune with u for u to pass on since tuning for both via the AFM 1x8 seemed dodgy at best depending on whos car it was on and who was trying to do the conversion. it might end up being a more solid base for people to start tuning from after converting to the MAF?

also do u know what the purpose for the 3rd, 4th, etc. sets of part throttle maps are? they have very high advance in lower load and very lean fuelling in the middle areas of the fuel maps.. i just assumed it was never something to be used going by the amount of advance and how little fuelling there was in some areas but i have been helping someone with a tune for their 325iX lately and allthough hes now using a 173 he sent me a copy of his 164 file and i made an XDF for it (i cant find the rev limit tho) and the only part throttle maps on that file are the same as the 3rd, 4th, etc. set of maps in the 173 files so cars using a 164 definately run those maps... ive transferred all RPM and load axis data from those maps into the main part throttle 1 and 2 map sets in a 173 file and copied all the map data over also and im going to try running it and see what happens.. ive tuned the maps slightly also and added a little more fuel in the lean areas just to play safe because i dont want to run too lean on the first test run with those maps.
EthosMotorsports
Francs

Injection Constant K

Post by Francs »

Does anybody know where the injection constant is in the Motronic 1.3 M3 e30 s14 engines in general?

It should me the K factor used in the IT=Q/(n X K) which determines the gross Injection Timing.

Thanks.
DmcL

Re: Injection Constant K

Post by DmcL »

Francs wrote:Does anybody know where the injection constant is in the Motronic 1.3 M3 e30 s14 engines in general?

It should me the K factor used in the IT=Q/(n X K) which determines the gross Injection Timing.

Thanks.
i could probably find it as i managed to get my hands on a damos pdf for the E30 M3 but its in german and i dont have an M3 and dont fancy sifting through it via translator to find it.. u have a PM :wink:
EthosMotorsports
bmwconnect

Post by bmwconnect »

Francs wrote:Does anybody know where the injection constant is in the Motronic 1.3 M3 e30 s14 engines in general?

Thanks.
There is no K1 factor until you get to Motronic 3.1 and higher ;)
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

anyone else feel like taking shots at each other? do it via PMs if you really can't contain yourself and keep it off the boards.

you benefit NOBODY with the public bickering.
bmwconnect

Post by bmwconnect »

Understood :)
Francs

Post by Francs »

bmwconnect wrote:

Thanks.
There is no K1 factor until you get to Motronic 3.1 and higher ;)
So the IT=Q/nxK is wrong? It is only Q/n?
And what are the three 80 point @ 2303, on other e30 they are called the "injector speed".
I don't know exactly if the ECU 0 261 200 087 is an 1.3 or 3.1 cause i've found different numbers on different forums, unfortunately.
I'm also looking for the "fuel cut" maps, if they exists, in the bin file which i'm attaching - no it seems taht i can't attach anything here.
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

yea i know but its the thought that counts right? :lol:

since im here, anyone happen to know what the axis descriptors A3, 5A and 9D are? dont see many maps with those descriptors, only a few which is whats making me so curious about them.

i already know the following descriptors:

37 = IAT
38 = CTS temp
04 = CTS sensor linearisation
3B = RPM
40 = Load
3A = Injection constant
37 = Voltage
03 = TPS (analogue to digital or linearisation related i believe)

maybe they could be related to the crank position sensor or the little reference sensor thats on one of the plug leads of the M20? i can post screenshots of these maps if it would help with identifying what they could be?
EthosMotorsports
SappySE107

Post by SappySE107 »

Wish a mod or admin would clean this thread up. I would like to have a working checksum, and the ability to disable codes if possible. I can tune no problem, but decoding this stuff is above my abilities.
Ben
92 Grand Prix SE
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

SappySE107 wrote:Wish a mod or admin would clean this thread up. I would like to have a working checksum, and the ability to disable codes if possible. I can tune no problem, but decoding this stuff is above my abilities.
Ben, your wish is my command.

deleting all non-productive posts now.
biela

Post by biela »

I think that descriptor for Voltage is "36".
¿0,068 for factor?