1228253 ECM

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

2seater

1228253 ECM

Post by 2seater »

Newbie first post. I have the 1228253v03 definition file mask $5B2. This is a 1990 Buick Reatta, 3800 LN3 engine. I made a 2-transistor cable and TunerPro RT v4.14 shows the ALDL is connected, but no data shows and packet error continually ramps upwards. I tried the hyperterminal test for com 1 and data shows on the screen. If I do the cable test in TP, it shows no cable is connected?

I read through the archives and did several searches and and I noticed a couple of items. The '90 ish Corvettes seem to have a similar issue where the ECM-BCM communication interferes with logging useful data. I have a similar system with digital dash. I did not find a post where a solution had been found? The second item I found was there were no results searching on the 1228253 ECM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1990 Turbocharged Reatta
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

two potential causes:

cable itself(i'm not fond of the 2-transistor, i built 2, neither worked half the time)

silence command

you may need to command a mode 8 to get the BCM to STFU so you can get info from the PCM.
2seater

Post by 2seater »

First off, I thank you for the reply.
robertisaar wrote:two potential causes:

cable itself(i'm not fond of the 2-transistor, i built 2, neither worked half the time)

silence command

you may need to command a mode 8 to get the BCM to STFU so you can get info from the PCM.
> I must admit I have read several posts mentioning the reliability of the two transistor cable. Would you recommend the max232 design?

> I do not have the expertise to know how to silence the Body Module and that is what runs the instrument panel? Several years ago I worked with Ken Mosher to try to get TurboLink to operate with my car and I remember getting several "patches" to try to accomplish something like what you mention. He also mentioned they were having the similar issues with the Corvettes. The only instrument I have had any luck with actually recording is an Auto X-Ray 5000, although connection can sometimes take several tries, the instrument panel blinks while connected and it can only record 15 frames.

Again, I appreciate the input.
1990 Turbocharged Reatta
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

now that is odd...

did you make the datastream file yourself? or at least know which DS file it was made from?

and yes, i love how much more stable my MAX232s are compared to the 2-transistor i bought in ~may of 2008.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I still use my Max232 home made cable on my desk top for bench testing. :) I've had it for about 5 years now.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

okay i took a look at what all applies to a 90 Reatta:

A094 - ECM
A119 - BCM
A125 - Airbags
A134 - ABS

now, there is a disable communications command in the BCM file. now, i don't know if you're using V4 or V5, but either way, send me the ADS or ADX file and i'll add it in and if necessary, provide instructions. it SHOULD get it at least able to log, and hopefully for more than 15 samples at a time.

it's possible that during logging, it will disable the dash, but i wouldn't know for sure.

email is robertisaar atsymbol yahoo periodsymbol com
<edited to keep search engines from snagging email address>
2seater

Post by 2seater »

Thank you all. I sent the zipped file to the email address. I did not create the file.
1990 Turbocharged Reatta
2seater

$5B2.xdf

Post by 2seater »

I know this is resurrecting a thread from the distant past, but I cannot seem to find the .xdf for the $5B2 Robert kindly modified and supplied to me back then. I do not see this in the chart and an online search brought me back here. The modified .adx still works perfectly but I am trying to decode some old .bins from Ryan @ GMTuners. Is this available somewhere?
1990 Turbocharged Reatta
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

XDF or ADX? I'm certain I still have the XDF kicking around, not sure about the ADX.