Using Ostrich on an RB20det

Discuss Nissan tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

DJ420a

Using Ostrich on an RB20det

Post by DJ420a »

Hey guys Ive done alot of reading and Im just not getting this.

The motor is running and driving fine, its just at cruising speeds and idle, its running pig rich.

So basically what Im asking is, if everything is running fine, how am I able too just mess with my fuel maps?

Thanks for your time guys
DJ
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

What I have found out is that you need socket booster when emulating with ostrich2.
DJ420a

Post by DJ420a »

revlimit wrote:What I have found out is that you need socket booster when emulating with ostrich2.
I havent even hooked it up too the car yet because I cant find which options to mess with.

This isnt my first time tuning, I used a MegaSquirt for 3 years, but this aint no MegaSquirt lol

What are you tuning?
DJ420a

Post by DJ420a »

OK, Ive installed TunerPro into the ECU, TunerPro connects too the Ostrich2 but then when I try too connect to the ECU, I get a green loading bar for a second that says "Successful" or something but then goes away.

I go too check simple values like battery voltage and TPS voltage and it says nothing. I cant really find anything thats showing that Im connected.

Does this mean I need the socket booster? Do I need an additional 28-pin DIP that is on Moates?
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

You can't "install" the tunerpro into the ecu. Tunerpro is software that edits the bin file, and then that bin file is uploaded to eprom emulator. Succesful means that bin file from tunerpro was loaded into emulator. Thats it. Not showing that you are connected where? You are not making any sense what so ever, you need to be more in detail and more specific
DJ420a

Post by DJ420a »

Are you serious? I don't see how clearer I can be, especially when I'm trying my best to learn this myself.

I know TunerPro doesn't install into the ECU lol

I can connect TunerPro to the Ostrich2, with successful connection. I get the Ostrich2 physically connected too the ECU but cannot tell if there's communication. I get a small green bar at the the bottom of the screen that says "successful" for second. There's no other way I can tell if I'm communicating with the ECU.

Better?
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

there is NEVER any comunications between Ostrich emulator and the ecu. All ECU does is READS the binary file from the ostrich2. ostrich emulates, ECU reads. As I said Nissan ECUS need socket booster when using ostrich2
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

I use an Ostrich2 on a KA24E ECU without any problems, and without a socket booster. It uses the same CPU as the RB20DET.
DJ420a

Post by DJ420a »

dfddfd2 wrote:I use an Ostrich2 on a KA24E ECU without any problems, and without a socket booster. It uses the same CPU as the RB20DET.
Exactly, it communicates just fine without a socket booster.

I messed with my "K value" and latency, buts its still running too rich.
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

dfddfd2 wrote:I use an Ostrich2 on a KA24E ECU without any problems, and without a socket booster. It uses the same CPU as the RB20DET.
maybe it works on that ecu because that ecu uses 200ns speed chip and Z32 and Q45 use 85ns speed chip a much faster, so if the emulator ribbon is too long it would be too slow of a read on these ecus. By the way would you share some tunes for that KA24E ecu?
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

revlimit wrote:maybe it works on that ecu because that ecu uses 200ns speed chip and Z32 and Q45 use 85ns speed chip a much faster, so if the emulator ribbon is too long it would be too slow of a read on these ecus. By the way would you share some tunes for that KA24E ecu?
What is the clock speed of the CPU in the Z32 and Q45 ECUs? The KA24E uses a 6MHz xtal and clocks the bus at 1.5MHz.

The KA24E tuning I've done is for an SCCA ITA 240sx racecar, and so is very specific for that engine and application.

Dave
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

I just got my socket booster and 6 inch ribbon cable. With 6 inch ribbon cable it works and with 28 inch cable that comes originaly with the emulator it wont work on my nissan Z32 ecu. So eather use short 6 inch ribbon cable or 28 inch cable with socket booster.